Register now to get rid of these ads!

4 Banger question,..Chevy ohv heads on Ford B blocks,..Good/bad??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CoalTownKid, Apr 23, 2007.

1. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

I do not have many, they were on my old computer and I lost them.

Here is a couple of pictures of the olds and one of the 28 Chev head.

Attached Files:

2. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

Here is a couple pictures of the 28 Chev head that I had on a 29 Model A pickup.

Attached Files:

3. WOW George- you do fantastic work!!!

Would you be open to posting those pics on the 28 Chevy Banger thread and sharing some of the info on your build (I'm already drooling over the pistons, and rods, and CAMSHAFT... AND CRANK:eek:)? I know the guys would love to see your work and hear more about what you did!

Thanks again, Bill

PS- here's the link:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463465&highlight=28+chevy+banger

4. terryble

terryble
    from canada

I can see the Chevy head working well on a "T" but my question would be how do you move water around if you put it on an "A" or "B" engine. Old henry hung on to the idea of moving water by a pump in the head until 35 or 36? The chevy had the pump in the block so unless you modified a "T" after market water pump you wouldn't be able to move the water.

5. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

Done Bill

6. George,

Thanks again for the info- I walked into 5 pairs of 455 heads last Sat- 2 sets of E's, 2sets of G's and a pair of J's...

Do you remember what you used for the conversion? Did it matter?

7. NORSON

NORSON

I know this is an old thread but I'd like some opinions on the best material for a spacer plate for a chev/ adapter. Most seem to be aluminum, but would iron or steel be better? Alloy? Norm

8. i like cars & stuff

i like cars & stuff
    from Aotearoa

i would like to know this too.

9. Kruegster

Kruegster

Time again for a thread renewal.
    I am buying a rebuilt 28 chevy head to do a conversion. Partially because I like old stuff and don"t have the checkbook to buy a Miller or Riley.
    Even with the kit costing about $1500, I should be in an OHV B for less than the price of a Riley 2P I hope.
    Does anyone else have any updates since the last threads in 2012?

Thanks
    Wish me skill.

Jason in Nebraska

10. CDM

CDM

Don't know about the B conversion but I did the T conversion using '28 Chev head on '26 T block. Don't know or care how practical it is; it looked like a fun project. While I was at it also did pressure oil. Drilling cranks can tighten the 'ol sphincter let me tell you.

All I can tell you after many hours of driving is it makes for a very sweet running engine, bastard or not. As for power, someone else will have to do the engineering numbers; all I know is it goes like hell compared to a stock T (which I have more hours than I care to remember in).

Got my adapter from a guy named Neil Jern in Calif. Think he has a web site.

11. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

I used a steel plate. Then milled a combustion chamber in the plate.

12. Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie
    from Ohio

Anything new on the 28 chevy heads ?

Outback likes this.
  13. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

years old (a decade & a half even) but still all very interesting, I can understand the questions around why not use a better head, but in keeping with the era, pre war or such it makes for an interesting idea...

Dannerr and tractorguy like this.