Register now to get rid of these ads!

727 and A-518 question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RFAGrasshopper, Aug 13, 2013.

1. RFAGrasshopper

RFAGrasshopper

Can you redo a 727 to use the A-518 Lockup Converter? The A-518 is a 727 with the lockup and a O/D Tail-housing? Have a line on a Classic Travco Motor Home(first Travco's were built in early '64) with a 440 and the 727. Want to do some work on the engine to get better mileage and a Lockup Converter will pick up 5%+ in mileage and the transmission will run cooler. The lockup would be wired to a dash mounted switch and also the brake light switch to disengage when I hit the brakes. :D

2. willys1

willys1
    from South Ga

can you? anything is possible, but in your case it would be much easier and cheaper to find a lock up 727. They are plentiful and inexpensive. Many parts differences between the two units. Such as input drum, valve body, fluid passages in the case, etc. Good luck with your project

P.S. if your 727 came from a motor home, it should have some good heavy duty parts from the factory. 4 pinion planetary versus the standard three pinion, heavy duty drums. Desirable parts to sell?

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

How heavy is the coach can you run with the overdrive.
    Thay put those things behind them big p/u.

4. RFAGrasshopper

RFAGrasshopper

I am looking at seeing if the gross weight is too high on the Travco. Had klooked at doing the A-518(with A-618 parts) into a D-20 brave who's Gross weight was only 11,000 pounds. A-618 behind the Cummings is 12,500 gross total. So not sure. Will look for the lockup 727 to get parts from. Thanks

5. Look over at "Travcoforum.com" for more info... I know they were talking about about overdrives for Travco's recently. Good luck!