Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Doing Falcons Right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconizer_62, Jul 23, 2008.

1. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Cool.:cool:

2. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

A good work day today! I got some of the bumper mods done. It came out as good as I hoped :D
    I had to mount the radiator so I could finish the front sheet metal and it's good to be back to working on the body again.

Attached Files:

3. Falconizer , more good progress ! Hey I had a look at the photos in your signature/link and saw you had the top off the wagon, what's the story there ??
    Is it getting a haircut too?

4. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

No haircut. Hippies forever. The old roof was rusted through in the back and right rear. it was unrepairable. Must have been parked for years in sprinkler range. The right rear quarter glass was the only thing holding the roof up:eek:

5. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

I finished the bumper! I wanted to remove the turn signals but was afraid to screw up the bumper. I looked for the lights, and none are available. I was working and just decided to go for it. I'm much more comfortable with stuff that I know I will paint...

Attached Files:

6. Will make for a very "clean " looking front . I like it .

7. Well , the '60 LIVES!

Wifey got first drive yesterday with a lap around the block . Then Finn (13 year son ) and I got first burn out !

Still lots to do yet but it was very satisfying to see it out on the street .

8. Alfster

Alfster

Hoon....[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

64.jpg My new addition. Finally something to replace my stang.

10. Nice Pete!
    I dig the Cal Track bars...

Posted from an IBM Selectric

11. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

The Cal tracs work very well. Rear has a locker unit in it. Rip the car thru 3rd and it wants to break loose hard. Awainting to add subframes before I launch it with sticky tires.

12. Just had the Global West subframe connectors welded into my 63 (to go with the Cal-Tracks) made quite a difference.

[​IMG]

Posted from an IBM Selectric

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  13. NeonGodzilla

NeonGodzilla

Does anybody make subframe connectors for the 66-69 Falcon?

Revernd Paul

14. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

I'll probably make my own this weekend. I made a set for my 65 stang and the design is not far off. Basically 2 x 2 stock.

15. NeonGodzilla

NeonGodzilla

I was thinking about making my own subframe connectors this winter.

Revernd Paul

16. nuts4fords

nuts4fords

Here are the custom subframes formed and tucked nicely to the undercarriage of my 64 Falcon hardtop. Super solid and ready for some serious torque :) This included a 4 pt. roll cage, minitub and rear leaf relocation. BF/X theme build with a wild 331 stroker, 4 spd top loader and a narrowed nodular 9" inch.

Attached Files:

• 504.jpg
      504.jpg
      File size:
      53.6 KB
      Views:
    • 506.jpg
      506.jpg
      File size:
      44.9 KB
      Views:
    • 507.jpg
      507.jpg
      File size:
      42.3 KB
      Views:
    • 011-vi.jpg
      011-vi.jpg
      File size:
      32.5 KB
      Views:
    • 513.jpg
      513.jpg
      File size:
      58 KB
      Views:
    • 510.jpg
      510.jpg
      File size:
      39.8 KB
      Views:
    • 175.jpg
      175.jpg
      File size:
      55.9 KB
      Views:
  17. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

WOW! Great work.

18. nuts4fords

nuts4fords

Here are the custom subframes formed to the undercarriage of my 64 Falcon hardtop. This included a 4 pt. roll cage, minitub and rear leaf relocation.

19. Nice work! I dig the tastefully done wheel tubs and the relocated spring eye pockets (and the Cal Track pivot).....

20. Cool little cars. A friend of mine just put his on the road with a 302 5 spd Granada spindles and disc brakes. Blast to drive and a real sleeper.

Attached Files:

21. DAGONITWIT

DAGONITWIT
    from NO VA

Just curious if anyone has weighed their V8 Falcon? Most information that I've found says 2300 lbs. I'm assuming that's dry with a 6 cyl. but even then, that sounds lite to me.

22. DAGONITWIT

DAGONITWIT
    from NO VA

Hey Nuts, what size tire can you fit in there? What is the rear length?
    Nice looking work!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  23. frankenfords

frankenfords
    from SoCal

The factory weights are typically 'shipping weights', which means dry; i.e. not oil, gear lube, coolant, fuel, etc.

I weighed a 61 Falcon 2dr wagon with a 289, iron case toploader 4spd with iron bellhousing, Versailles 9-inch rear with disc brakes, front disc brakes, subframe connectors, no headliner or carpet at 3,160 with a 1/2 tank of gas. Bear in mind, the disc brakes all around add a few pounds, the 9 inch adds a few pounds, the cast iron trans adds a few pounds, and being a wagon with the extra steel and glass adds several pounds.

24. Last year I had a buddy who's a Motor Carrier Safety cop (trucker fucker) come by and weigh my 63 2 door sedan:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's what we came up with:

3/4 tank (12 gallons) and I (175lb) was sittin' in the car.

RF 700
    LF 850
    RR 625
    LR 675

At that time it had a 1980 Lincoln 5.0 V8.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  25. Thanks to fellow VA HAMB'r DAGONITWIT, I got a set of 14X6 Magnum 500 wheels to check out to see if they'd work on the old Ford:

[​IMG]

They seem to work with the Granada Disc brake set up, but the wheel center cap's attachment hardware wouldn't clear the bearing caps on the rotors:

[​IMG]

Although I've become really attached to my dog dish caps, I might just give these a try:

[​IMG]

The wheels have 185/70R14's. I have 195/70R14's on the car and they're 7 3/8" wide at the tire bulge (on 5" wide wheels), about the same width as the 185's that are on the 6" wide wheels now.

Next week I'll try a 195 tire mounted on one of the Magnum wheels and see if it will clear the left rear inner fender lip, where I only have 1 3/8" clearance with the current wheel/tire combo.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  26. Burnt Out , Those look smart on there . Have you tried a 195/70 on the rear yet ?

It's been a backward ass week here ...

it feels a little bit like I've had to take two steps backward to get one forwards , but I got a decent result in the end .

On the few short runs we've done in the car over the last couple weeks It had felt very Harsh in the driveline . So I set the car on jack stands so that the suspension was "loaded" at ride height and checked U/J angles with my digital angle finder ... 3.5 degrees difference. I thought "that'll be it " , removed the lowering blocks and milled a Taper on them to correct the pinion angle .
    Refitted blocks and drove again , noticeable improvement but still felt like It had a "Harmonic" vibration through the car , this road test was also the first decent blast on open highway and I realized the car felt very low geared .
    Went home jacked up one rear wheel and checked rear end ratio ... 3.5:1 . Bugger!
    Oh well , there is a 2.9:1 head in the Mustang 8" that is in the corner of the shop, destined for another project that will be running taller tyres ( Tires!).

I gave some thought to what else could be causing the Harmonic issue and then decided to do a little home work on engine balance , as in Front Balancer and external weights on Flex plate/flywheel .
    Early Windsors use 28oz Weight on the flex plate/flywheel and late wiindsors use 50oz right ... Bugger!
    At this point I figured if it was a balance issue I should be able to feel it when the car is stationary. So I ran the engine at approx 3000-3500 rpm and rested
    my hand on a valve cover , yup it feels really harsh and is almost "pulsing" . Bugger!

So yesterday , Out came the Motor and trans , I swapped out the Flex plate for the correct one , and also fitted a sandwich plate between the motor and trans. I had purchased the motor and box as an assembled unit and it did not have a sandwich plate fitted . I had just finished up refitting motor and trans when
    Wifey came home from work ( late afternoon ) . She saw that I had the motor and back in and all buttoned up and says "So have you swapped out the Diff head too ?" I replied ," no that's tomorrow morning's job" .
    Well she looks at me with a cheeky grin and says she will help if we can do it NOW . So I'm back under the car and she is passing me tools and diff heads
    while removing wheels and brake drums . Didn't take long with the two of us on it .

So today we have a '60 Tudor with a happy SMOOTH running 289 that goes down the Highway with no nasty vibrations and is not screaming it's lungs out at 70 mph . Bring on the weekend , I need a rest !

27. Damn, four six, you're makin' us all look lazy....I'd rather have my ass kicked than pull my engine/trans combo, again.

And it would take an act of the United States Congress to get my Missus to help me change the third member. She hates the smell of friction modifier n' hypoid oil.

I tried the 195's on the rear- gotta' get the fender lips rolled.

[​IMG]
    My insane painter/body man will do it as soon as he runs out of dope and needs more cash....He was pissing and moaning about the double lip and thick old steel and twenty year old lacquer paint the whole time we were talkin' 'bout it.

I'm in the midst of repainting the wheels now. I'm gonna' lose the chome trim rings and paint the wheel rims/depressions satin black and the spokes argent.

[​IMG]

BTW, the spiffy wheel mask kit I bought isn't even close...I used fine line masking tape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or I might change my mind and paint them completely black...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  28. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

I'm digging that bumper! Nice and tight, great detail!

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Might look into subframe connectors for the same year Mustang. Often Mustang and Falcon used similar setups, with just length being different. On my '63 I found a NOS pair for an early Mustang and they bolted up perfectly in the rear, but didn't reach to the front frame rails, so I cut them and fabbed a new front mount to make up the difference. Then I fabbed tubing to tie them into the stock body supports and rockers. They were cheap, and easy to modify, and really tightened everything up well!