Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ford Wheel Identification - Help Needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harrison, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Working backwards on this one I guess....

I need a set of 15", 5x4.5" steel wheels for my 1965 Ford Econoline panel van. This is pretty much a restoration project so I'm hoping to stick with original Ford wheels.

I recently got my cart ahead of my horse and bought a set of hubcaps for it. They are early 1960's truck caps and fit a wheel with nubs INSIDE the ring to hold them on. All I seem to see online are wheels with outside nubs. I paid a fair amount for this set of caps and they are nice enough to chrome. I'd love to be able to use them. The caps are 9.5" across the face and the inside rim that would fit inside the wheel center is 8".

Question is....... What am I looking for exactly (year, model?) and where can I find a set of 15", 5x4.5" steel wheels that will accept these caps?

Thanks, Jim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Count Scrapula

Count Scrapula
    from Mid TN

Didn't they originally come with 14" wheels?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. herbet99

herbet99
    from Central NJ

4. Count Scrapula

Count Scrapula
    from Mid TN

The hubcaps you have are for late 50's or early 60's trucks and the wheels look like a '40 Ford with the rounded center.

5. That's it...... but the bolt pattern is wrong. Stock 1957-1966 "innie" wheels look to have been 5x5.5" bolt pattern.

Looks like my best option is to probably just buy a new set of wheels....

http://www.rallyamerica.com/Gennie.html

JH

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  6. oldolds

oldolds

Those are truck hubcaps. I doubt you will find a wheel that will fit you Econoline and use those caps. Your Econoline is a Falcon in most respects as far as Ford was concerned.

7. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

In addition to the aftermarket "Gennie" wheels, you could use a mid 30s international wheel, they have the 8" hubcap size and have a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern. I actually have a pair of those available as well.
    Thanks
    Jimmy

8. Yep, sounds like other wheels. Least desirable thing to do would be wheel adapters. I have them on my cabriolet since I was bound and determined to use old "steelies" on the 8" rearend. EZ accessories was my source. Tim

9. Count Scrapula

Count Scrapula
    from Mid TN

Wheelkid, the International wheels I have are 16". Did they come in 15" too?

10. daddio211

daddio211

Harrison, '49-51 Ford Shoebox wheels are 15" x 4.5" with the small (5 on 4 1/2") pattern, but again, the nubs are on the outside. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case someone suggested them... you know, kind of a process of elimination thing.

Attached Files:

11. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

Yes, I've actually seen them in many different configuirations. 15", 16", some with slots, some solid, there's also an artillery wheel.

12. Same identical hubcap on my '65 Ford pickup. HRP

13. Yep, the Econoline used passenger car wheels and different hubcaps. You won't find a OEM Ford wheel that will work with those caps. A set of aftermarket 'smoothie' wheels will have the right combo, or some other non-Ford wheel will be your only choice....

14. herbet99

herbet99
    from Central NJ

This may seem silly.. but what about adding nubs on the inside on the size wheel you need?