Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tub looks like a banana for now

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ckdesigns, Oct 25, 2005.

1. ckdesigns

ckdesigns
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ogden,Utah

I got the bodywork pretty much done so I put it in primer (I know they didn't have yellow primer back in the day).

I also started building my frame.
    It is extended in front of the cowl so the motor isn't in the firewall. The grill shell will sit a little higher than in the pics. Frame is pinched in front to the width of the grill shell.

So here some pics with the body sitting on the frame and a slipsheet to get an idea of what a hood top would look like. I think I'm going to have a full hood.

I also need help IDing these backing plates the hub is on the outside of the drum. Also the friction shocks are they stock ford and are they rebuildable.

Thanks for the help.

edit:Oh ya if you haven't been following along it was a 29 fordor thats now a tubor, 50 caddy 331 for motivation.

Attached Files:

2. Tommy C

Tommy C

Car looks good ck, nice work & keep the pics coming... Can't help with the ID's though, sorry...TC

3. Nice ride......I particually like the windshield posts. Can't beat Caddy power!

4. Your car will be known as The Banana Hammock from this day forward.

5. 28pontiac

28pontiac

Do you have any detail shots of how you did the tops of the doors and the corners of the body where it meets the doors? I am working on a similar project (28 Pontiac 2 door sedan into a tub) and am having trouble making this area look "right"... especially with the overlapping doors.... Any help would be appreciated! The tub does look good.... Are you going to do a folding top for it?

Andy

6. What is that dash? It looks good, but I can't place my finger on where I have seen one before.

7. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Man that looks great ck, you're making some great progress. The body looks like it was meant to be that way, not a sedan somebody took a hack-saw to. Keep it up!

8. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

The Hardy Boys hung out with a dude who drove a yellow tub (just referred to as "a jalopy" but it was open and seated five). He was Chet Morton and he called his ride "The Queen." That was back in the fifties, so maybe...

9. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

The axel/hubs look pre '42 ,'42 on had the 'square back' spindels .
    The shocks are available from restoration venders/rebuilders.

10. ckdesigns

ckdesigns
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ogden,Utah

I don't know about calling it the banana hammock but maybe only until it's painted.

28pontiac-Tomorrow I will take some shots of the door area. There might be pics in one of my other progress threads just search through posts started by me.

Grumpyblues- the dash is from the same car that gave it's motor to the project 50 caddillac.

11. looks real good, keep it up.. Are you going to Burger Stop tonight?

12. Actually they did have yellow primer back in the day - circa mid to late 50's.
    Pink, blue, purple were common and there was a veritable rainbow of colors out there.

Accomplished by tossing color toner into white primer.
    Most common with the low-rider set, but more than a few hot rods showed up with tinted primer.

Regardless, your car is looking good so no big rush to swap colors.
    Enjoy it as it is, it's a completely trad deal....:cool:

13. ckdesigns

ckdesigns
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ogden,Utah

What goes on at Burger stop? Cruise night?

14. ckdesigns

ckdesigns
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ogden,Utah

Here's some pics.

Attached Files:

15. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

They look like '40 Ford backing plates to me...