Register now to get rid of these ads!

Polarizing a generator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rodknocker, Sep 30, 2013.

1. rodknocker

rodknocker

Just trying to figure out when is polarizing a generator necessary, and the proper way to do it. I've watched a few videos on YouTube to get a basic understanding. Also does it make a difference if the vehicle is positive ground. I'm helping out a friend who has a 53 Plymouth original 6v straight 6. He's having issues with the charging system, and we're wondering how much of an impact polarizing has.

2. 63comet

63comet

Only time I've ever done it was when converting from positive ground to negative ground.

3. F&J

F&J

Polarize is done when it is not charging. So, if the car does charge somewhat, it does not need it, and you should do tests on the generator capacity, as well as the regulator.

Also, if a generator sits forever dormant, it can lose it's "residual magnetism", and then you'd polarize it, to get it back,... or you can "motor it" which does the same task, by running it as a motor.

generators are not all the same as far as methods. You need to look it up in a Motors/Chiltons, for the type of system you have.

4. fatabone

fatabone

6v positive ground put a wire from the negative side of the battery and touch it to the A on the generator.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

A generator has to have magnetism in its field coils to work. This is no problem when it is running because they are magnetized by a coil of wire. But how do they get started, there must be a little bit of magnetism in the coil for it to start working.

Polarizing magnetizes the coils by giving the electromagnet a shot of electricity.

Another thing. A generator will work either + ground or - ground depending how it is polarized.

So, if you want to be sure the generator is working it must be polarized

If you want to be sure it is working in the right way (+ or - ground) it must be polarized.

Sometimes a generator will lose its magentism if it sets around for years and years. Or, if it is taken apart for a rebuild.

Basically you are remagntizing the field coils with a shot of juice.

Once this is done the generator will work indefinitely or until it is taken apart or sits around for years.

Your + ground Plymouth may have been setting around, or someone may have put the battery in wrong way round. Why not polarize it and be sure, it costs nothing and only takes a few seconds to do.

6. fsae0607

fsae0607

I thought you also had to do it every time you disconnect your battery? :confused:

7. rustrustler

rustrustler

take the A lead (armature) off the voltage regulator and touch it to B (battery). Done.

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Not at all. The generator retains enough magnetism to start working a lot longer than that. I have revived cars that were off the road (battery removed) for 30 years that did not require it. On the other hand, have seen cars that were out of commission for a year or 2 that did.

It's easy to do, costs nothing and only takes a minute. So if the generator is not working why not give it a try.

9. rodknocker

rodknocker

10. Spanish Fly

Spanish Fly

:cool:thanks rodknocker for the info

11. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

as I read Motors manuals and polarize generators in different makes of cars, the method is different.

If memory serves me, it is important to follow the instructions for the particular application.

12. fsae0607

fsae0607

Makes sense. It's been a while since I looked in my 61's shop manual, IIRC I think it said to polarize everytime you disconnected the battery. Oh well I always seem to have a beer buzz whenever I'm wrenching on my stuff. That's why I had trouble removing the front wheel hubs without removing the castle nut because I didn't RTFM!!! :eek::D