Register now to get rid of these ads!

Timing on a 351w

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hoptup Jalop, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

I picked up a 59 ford panel with a 69 351 w in it. It appears to be stock 2v engine....the problem I have is the timing and vacuum advance. It's set a 8 bdc and it jumps to @ 50 at about 1800 Rpms w vacuumed.... Stays at 30ish unplugged.... How do I resolve this??

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Leave the vacuum advanced unplugged......

Is the vacuum advance canister adjustable (hexagon shaped rather then round)? If so, stick an allen wrench in it and turn the vacuum advance down. You should probably be at about 34 to 36 degrees at full advance.

[​IMG]

3. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

Thanks... It appears to look similar to that but I don't see that it's key's for an Allen.... I'll check again when I get home.

4. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

If that '69 "W" engine still has a stock dissy, be sure to inspect the breaker plate; Ford's distributors were known for timing issues, when the breaker plate became worn. I leaned that one after quite a few headaches. A new dissy fixed it.

I run 8 degrees, vacuum disconnected.

4TTRUK

5. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

It appears to be a replacement dist.... Marked 12127- motorcraft... Which I think was a correct # for that engine. It's also wired as a 289/302 if that helps at all. Which confuses me a bit.

6. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

Some of those had a vinyl/plastic piece of tubing over a pin in the advance weights. It was used to limit total centrifigal advance. They can deteriorate over time and then the advance goes way too far. Look at this pic:

[​IMG]

See the flat pin with the bushing/tubing on it in the slot marked 15L? That is what I'm talking about. The length of the slot, less the diameter of the pin and bushing determine the total centrifigal advace. If the bushing breaks off, the pin can then move farther in the slot resulting in more advance.

If you look opposite of the 15L slot, you will see a shorter slot. You can reverse the upper part of the advance shaft and set the distribitor up using the shorter slot if less total advance is needed, but you may also find that you are already in the smaller slot, depending on what vehicle the distrbutor came out of.

7. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

"Wired as 289 / 302",.....I assume you mean the plug wires ? If there is a 302 cam installed ( it'll work) then the 289 / 302 firing order is used.

The later (90's) roller cam 302's all used the "Windsor" firing order.

4TTRUK

8. 8° initial is pretty close for a stock 2bbl motor. Don't worry about what it is doing with the vacuum. It should go up to 50° or so under light load with the vacuum line attached, this will improve fuel mileage and make the motor run cooler.
    You should disconnect and plug the vac hose and then check the timing for total advance, you would like to see somewhere between 32-36° total, and that will probably be up around 2500-3000 RPM.
    12127 is a Ford part number sequence for a Distributor, it does not tell you the application, you should see something like C9AF before the 12127 number to know the year and application.

as for the "wiring", if it has the firing order of a 289/302 with a 351 cam, you will have a very under powered and possibly misfiring running engine. Otherwise it might have a 302 cam in it. Are you having running issues?

9. Make sure the vacuum line is connected to a correct source; I've had the best results hooking it directly to manifold vacuum, not at the carb. If there's a 'vacuum switch' installed (usually in the thermostat housing), disconnect that.

10. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

Don thanks for the extra info... I've tried the 351 firing order and its misfiring so i believe its a 302 cam.... I was having some stumble across the rpm range... New plugs, wires ohm'd at 12-15, carb was rebuilt...fuel line tank new cleaned etc.... Took the dist diaphragm off and it looks a bit oily inside... Not sure if thats normal...spring and plastic tube look ok...compression on all cylinders are 145-150......still has points that look good... Hope this helps

11. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

Here are the shots of the dizzy.... Things looked ok... The plastic sleeve was worn so I rotated it... There is no adjustment on the VA diaphragm... Set timing to 8 w/o vacuum seems to run better....2k rpm is about 28-30 with a little stumble now and then..... Plug VA back in and we get 50-60 and very noticeable stumbles above idle.... Ideas??... Scott
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380767303.295077.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380767327.545014.jpg