Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fulton Sun Visor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sconnors, Aug 30, 2010.

1. sconnors

sconnors
    from New York

Anyone have any experiences good or bad with I believe they're called a Fulton Sun Visor? Saw a couple in some pictures and they look pretty slick. I've also read about some problems if you're going above 60mph. Anyone know where you can purchase them and if they're worth putting on my 1950 Buick Special?

2. Squablow

Squablow

I love a Fulton visor, but others will not. They come up on eBay quite often, but can get pricey (figure around $350 to $400 for a nice complete original one). There are repops available, but I've heard that they are poor fitting and also more than $400 to buy, so I would suggest holding out for a nice OG one if you are considering buying one.

They weren't meant for 90 mph driving, they're fairly light weight aluminum in construction. Regular highway driving should be fine, but if you're doing 80 and a semi passes you in the other direction, you could damage it. Especially if the center pinch clamps aren't installed properly.

The "lowrider bomb" community loves these, check out Chevybombs.com for pictures of cars with a Fulton visor on them. I've got one painted up for my '40 Chrysler that I haven't installed yet. Would look goofy on a chopped top coupe but they go hand in hand with fender skirts, fog lights, and a rear sloping rake.

3. Squablow

Squablow

Forgot to mention, they are adjustable for width and angle, so you won't have a problem fitting it there, but most are designed for cars with a split windshield. Not sure if a '50 Buick has that or not.

There were a few Fultons made for early 50's cars with a 1 piece windshield, however they are rare and get really pricey.

4. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

well , squablow bout covered it . I would'nt go aftermarket . I have dealt afew & 300.00 is bout the going price . Fulton made two models . Made for two piece windows & are sweet as hell . I would ask on the h.a.m.b. Before going to fleabay .
    good luck

5. sconnors

sconnors
    from New York

Well thanks fellas. Mine does have a split windshield by the way. I'm getting the car painted this winter so I should start shopping now I take it and have it painted the same color as the car!! Thanks for the input and if anyone knows of any for sale that would fit a 50 Buick Special send em over my way!
    Thanks
    Scott

6. Curt B

Curt B

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

another thought would be to search ebay for a visor from GM made for your car.

as for speed, I had a factory visor on my old 49 Chevy sedan. went 70 - 80 MPH on many occasions and it never gave me any indications it was about to fall off or get bent.

8. Squablow

Squablow

The factory 49-50 GM ones had a die-cast center bracket that bolted all the way through the center windshield post, and they were also (usually) stamped steel instead of aluminum, although I had at least one aluminum one.

If you're worried about high-speeds, the GM ones are the way to go. Personally, I don't think they have quite the same "look" as the Fulton.

9. 41 C28

41 C28

Have a Fulton Sun Visor on my 48 Dodge and have not had any issues as of yet at highway speed.

10. pontiac

pontiac

I have a Fulton sun shield on my 52 Pontiac. It's been on my car over 5 years now. I've had my car up to 100+mph on the highway... The visor never budged. I pass coal trucks on two lane roads all the time also and they put off a lot of wind as they go by and it's always stayed in place.

11. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Daily driver year round only vehicle, 55k with this visor, no problems. If you don't mount it properly of course you'll have problems!!

[​IMG]

12. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

You can look at mine on the AACA site and the 1950 buick site. Its the Baby Blue '50 Sedanette.

13. Just installed a Fulton Visor on my '52 Chevy Panel. No problems with "highway" speeds, had it up to 70 mph. However, if there are extremely high winds, I did notice some "oil canning" ...

14. Hi!
    I found a nos newer opend box.
    Fulton from late 40's
    [​IMG]

Made in Sweden.

15. I had one on my 1941 Plymouth Coupe, when it arrived from the USA it still had the thin twin mounting brackets that clamped around the divider bar.......I was not impressed by them and made a much stronger bracket out of stainless steel about 3" wide and had a pair of bolts thru each side clamping the bracket in between the centre bar and windscreen rubber. I still made a point of veering away from trucks coming the other way but it was a much better setup than the original 1/2" wide brackets and looked o/k as well.........see attached pics.........andyd

Attached Files:

16. Jim R.

Jim R.

I'm in need of the two center bracket clamp jaws for my visor, they fit over the stainless center strip. you can send me a PM or call 559-759-4636 ASAP. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  17. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

I'm glad you posted this as my 49coe will need one,i now know what to look for,thanks Gaz!

18. desotot

desotot

80 - 90 mph no problem . Two clamps on the centre post, one for the top bracket and one for the bottom bracket, that way they can't rock out of adjustment. The centre clamps should be easy to make out of a piece of 16 ga stainless.

[​IMG]
    <IFRAME style="WIDTH: 300px; HEIGHT: 150px" id=promoAdLazy class=promoAdIframe marginHeight=0 src="" frameBorder=0 marginWidth=0 scrolling=no data-width="300" data-type="PROMO2"></IFRAME>

19. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i bought a 49 ford coupe with a visor on it and didn't like it because i couldn't see a traffic light without sticking my head out the window!

20. desotot

desotot

traffic lights are so over rated> :]

21. holy crap, I paid $50 for one at a garage sale, and don't have anything to put it on. Thought that I can find something to put it on cause it's a neat piece.