Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What Would You Change?Give Me Some of Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FunnyCar65, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Track nose

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

3. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

nothing wrong with ether one of these!digging the short box on the red T

4. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Too Too Too much Green. The only things you want green (if you keep anything green) are the Body, grill shell and headlights.

Yes the headlight brackets, although well done are ugly. Take them off and buy some aluminum ones from Speedway.

You know their is a lot I like about this little roadster and a few changes could make it a standout.

If you do keep the green, white is a good contrasting color. White wheels with maybe blackwall tires. Smaller and narrower tires in front.

White track style headers would go nice.

But just getting rid of most of that green would be a big improvement.

You know I might put an engine fan on it just to take up some of the room between the engine and radiator. Looks like you might have enough room between the radiator hoses to put a pretty good size one.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I've got to be the odd man out and say that I don't HATE the green! I'm not entirely in love with it either, but I do like bright.

That said, You are on the right track for wheels and tires. Getting rid of some of the green and rep[lacing it with chrome would be a step in the right direction along with the headlight mods most have pointed out. Mixing that chrome with natural finish aluminum would help tone it down a bit as well.

More carbs has been discussed, and I don't believe I would go with block huggers, I think I would break out some tubing and the welder and go to town on some sort of outside exhaust that would clear the steering.

Honestly, one of the biggest improvements you could make is to shorten the front of the frame up a bit. I can see a pretty quick 4-6" that could come out and a good batch of the surgery could be hidden partially under the grill shell.

That green makes me wonder what might happen if you shot a coat or two of a pure pearl type paint over the top of it, maybe as panels? might tone it down and make it livable until it's time to tear the whole thing down for a repaint.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

and you really arent that far away from the overall look of the T. I get that yours is an A bucket, other than that, headlights, a short, home-made box ('58 Chevy tail-lights would be ideal) bobbed fenders on the back, some cycle fenders, drop the rear ride height an inch or so, a re-paint, and you really have something. I've attached another photo of the same car, this time with the moon discs you already have.

I think I know whats causing the "alien" look on the front end. The angle of the lower part of the headlight mounts is following the "v" at the bottom of the grill shell, and accentuating it, makes it look like it has a beak!:D

Attached Files:

• hair.jpg
      hair.jpg
      File size:
      107.6 KB
      Views:
  7. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

Just playing around... made it blue, black frame and brakes, moved the headlights down and a bit smaller, hoodsides and different wheels...

[​IMG]

8. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

With a bed...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  9. 2935ford

2935ford

why worry.....just drive the wheels off it!

10. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

The added bed make the front end look less extended. Definitely consider that addition.

Also as far as frame changes, it might be easier just to build a new frame (using taller tubing while you're at it) to get the proportions looking better.

11. dan31

dan31

That's some funny shit right there

12. 2racer

2racer

leave it alone and dress like this guy...

green.jpg

13. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

I like this version,would like to see it with bobbed fenders and chrome reverse

14. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

cleaner scan of both cars,I like the colors on the A roadster and the looks of the T .

Attached Files:

15. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

WOW Kamp hit a home run! I would also put smaller tires on the front end. Perhaps headers coming out of the side panels. It ain't easy being green. I am a retired firefighter and a few years ago the city gave us a "Safety Lime Green" colored engine to replace our red old one. We got our balls broken by every fire company for miles around. Several years later the rig received major damage after being caught in a flood and we repainted it red!

16. Keep

Keep

I would not cover that engine up at all, other then that, the blue version looks great.

17. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

Cool grille shell. But I too would change the color, lose the moon discs (cant say that I have ever seen those on anything I thought they looked good on), maybe moons, or spiders on black wheels, and move the headlines down and closer to the grille shell.Just my nickels worth.

18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Might be a conflict of styles, but you could add a Moon style tank in front to take up some of the space.

19. I don't know if I mentioned it but I really like the grill shell on this old hooptie.

20. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I agree with 31Vicky here. Cleaning and prepping the green paint to take a candy is probably going to be a lot less time than taking it down for another color and you might get something really subtle and interesting out of it.

I'd gloss black the frame entirely though, which will make whatever color you end up with stand out better.

...OR paint the frame yellow and buy a Deere hat ;)

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I really don't like the color. And it struck me in looking at it that the front axle is way too far out in front of the grille.

Gives the whole thing a cartoonish look.

22. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

Im with the crowd on the colour, and I figure the grill is too heavy as are the headlights. The headlights stands are also too tall and give the car a "bug" look. A chrome front end would fit with your early 60s theme.

I would also respectfully suggest that the rear needs taller tyres - 30 inches tall minimum, to fill the gap out back.

23. oldsman41

oldsman41

not a fan of running a suicide front axle. shorten the front and put the axle back where it belongs,yeah the green has to go.

24. BINGO!! the color HAS to go,the wheel discs are not the biz,pull that front end back a little and lose thos god aweful headlight mounts. and i'd make it a turtle back..niver been a fan of the bobber exposed tank look

25. indyjps

indyjps

I read this thread a few days ago and wanted to think on it before posting. Black chassis and running gear, move the body forward and add a turtle deck, this will let you move the grill shell forward and raise it even with the cowl line, once that's done you can move the headlights lower on the grill shell. Hmm the green, I like the suggestions of shooting candy and or flake over it, build it as a 60's show rod. the black chassis will tone down the greenness, as will the candy or flake. Here's a pearl that I think would pretty good over it.
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=111175709921

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  26. Chuck hole

Chuck hole

Headers , maybe lakes pipes would give a much more sinister look. Color change or maybe some big scallops. I kinda like the tank.

That is a bitchin' ride you have there.

27. why is moving the front end back 'not an option"?????

you can either put it back under liek its supposed to be or move that perch up,and back,then put the spring on the axle and bam..its shorter abviously the bone mounts gotta be moved but..big deal

28. 31ford429

31ford429
    from Florida

Change paint maybe brown or navy blue.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

this. simple.

or this.

30. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

Once you find a color, I would paint the valve covers to match the engine and just leave the tops of the ridges aluminum.