Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 31 Model A Victoria Build w/Pics – Miss Vicky

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, Jul 6, 2008.

1. hahahahaha!

2. Got the alternator bracket finished. All the pieces of the bracket were cut from 3/16 flat stock with a cut off wheel on a grinder, shaped with a flapper disc and then filed smooth with various flat and round hand files.

alt3_zpsdfa12b36.jpg

alt4_zpsbf406b44.jpg

alt2_zpscb4e15aa.jpg

alt1_zpsf6f77965.jpg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Nice, I gotta come over & check it out?

5. Looks like it's supposed to be there. Great job once again!

6. That's a mighty small generator you got on there, but your bracket is sweet!

7. Wish I could feeding the masses tomorrow!

8. DJM

DJM

Looks good Dave...progress progress progress

9. Thanks Dave. Do you or your brother have a hemi in the works again? Dan called me to ask about how I adapted the Chevy crank pulley. Spill the beans man.

10. DJM

DJM

Dave the hemi has been built for a couple years...so we started putzing around with it again. Did learn that the adapter was special cut for the sonic bellhousing. Enough about my junk. This is about your hemi...what's the next project to tackle?

11. Right now I'm working through what to do with my thermostat housing – clearance between it and the fan is tight – like less than 1/4 inch. I also need to trim the fan blades about a half inch for clearance at the lower radiator tank. I still need to finish up the mods to the grille shell to move the radiator a half inch forward into the shell and I need to heat and dimple the driver's side header at the collector for steering clearance. Finally, I also have to fab up some sort of remote oil filter bracket, but I'm going to wait until I pull the motor back out for that.

I'll pull the motor, put it on a stand, fire it and break it in. While the motor and trans are out, I need to finish welding in the motor mounts and weld in threaded bungs for the front upper shock mounts.

Once that's done, I'll probably pull the body off the frame and finish welding the rear frame horns on from the top. Then I'll do body work and paint the frame (again).

Then it's on to the body. I plan to lean the rear window forward about an inch and I'll have M&PC help me make a hood top. Then I'll do final body work and paint the body.

Once all that's done, I assemble the car for the very last time.

12. DJM

DJM

Jeez Dave you paint such an optimistic picture. So ready by the 13th up here in f'burg?

13. Custom building with hand tools takes a bit of talent, very nice work.

14. That's because the show is on the 12th...so it'll be done by the 11th. :D

15. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wish I had something to share. :( Haven't had any time to work on it or when I finally do, it rains or something. I'm hoping ALL of that will change soon! Believe me... I'm itching to share some progress!

16. I don't know if it takes any talent Sam, but it does take a can-do attitude. I'm too dumb to realize that I'm doing stuff that I shouldn't be able to pull off.

We're waiting patiently.

17. Got a little more done this weekend. I trimmed a half inch of of each blade of the fan. (no pic)

I notched the shell to move the radiator further forward. This is the bottom of the shell.

IMG_2655_zps8cfed519.jpg

I sourced and installed my highly modified (92–96 Corvette) thermostat housing. I picked it because it's super low profile and it points in the right direction.

IMG_2650_zps49e435bd.jpg

Installed the Hot Heads water crossover.

IMG_2651_zpse3dac0f5.jpg

I made upper and lower hose mock ups from paper towel rolls and ran out to the parts store to buy some hoses with the right bends.

IMG_2652_zpsc3133bc8.jpg

IMG_2653_zps07cf8d13.jpg

I had to move the mounting points on my shell after I moved the radiator forward.

IMG_2661_zpsf6d4326f.jpg

While the shell was off, I cut holes in the lower part to resemble a factory unfilled shell.

IMG_2657_zpsd4d4cac7.jpg

And last, I bolted the shell on.

IMG_2660_zps4ea7685b.jpg

The only engine mock up that's left now is the remote oil filter and dimpling the driver's side header for steering clearance.

18. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

You're getting very close --- looking good!

19. Wish I was going!

20. Here's some good driving footage shot by my pal Martin (fuxl). The video is shot from the cab of his 36 truck and you'll see 57 HEAP's yellow 57 Chevy and JoeSmith's 50 Merc. Miss Vicky first appears 34 seconds in and shows up more in the end. The music is great.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/31175460" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/31175460">Jalopyrama 2011</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user9047267">Martin Fuchs</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

And another of the 283 that I sold to build the 354:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  21. So you got a Corvette thermostat housing, what are those hoses off of?

22. A true hot rod, all matter of parts from many different makes.

23. Brog

Brog

Are these the same carbs done at Clarke County Speed?

I've been working for OJ for awhile and he's been teaching me alot. He showed me how to do the coating and I was doing it on numerous carbs over the summer. I tried a few different processes and eventually got it down to a process that we thought was best. This was my best batch I ever did if these are the same Carter's I'm thinking about.

It's nice to see them in a different light. I think they look great, but what matters is what you think, I really hope you like them.

24. Yes, they were built at Clarke County Speed. I think they look great sitting on the intake, but I haven't fired the motor yet because I'm still doing mock up. I should be firing it in the next few weeks though. I'll shoot some video of the big day. Thanks for your help on the carbs man.

BTW, I met you and OJ at the last workshop OJ hosted. It was the one where Robert worked on the bus door and the Mustang door. Good times.

25. Brog

Brog

Good to hear. Those carbs were pretty hard to get clean when they first came in haha, they came a long way. And yeah I'm sure I'd remember you if I saw you.

By the way I love your 2 four-barrel setup, especially with the air cleaners. Oj was talking about changing his 6 deuce hemi over to a 2 four-barrel setup, I really wasn't convinced and couldn't picture it looking right, but after seeing yours I'm all for it.

26. So I picked up my rear spreader bar (first mentioned in post 523) and my shifter from the chrome shop today. Baby steps. :)

IMG_2665_zps8e744340.jpg

IMG_2668_zps5a3fd61e.jpg

IMG_2663_zpscf7192fc.jpg

I had to put the spreader bar on as soon as I got home today.

IMG_2674_zpsfe5cd612.jpg

27. Did you weigh it before & after? Looks SMOOTH!

28. I've been buttoning up the 354 so I can fire it and break in the cam.

I figured I'd post the spacer I made to adapt a single groove Chevy pulley to the Chrysler harmonic balancer. First I opened up the center of the Chevy pulley and drilled six holes in it to match the holes in the balancer.

Then I made the spacer to align the pulleys. I started with a chunk of 3/8 aluminum. I drilled six bolt holes and then cut a big hole in the center to clear the bolt and washer that hold the balancer on.

IMG_2684_zps4f3cbabf.jpg

I then opened up the center hole so it centered snugly on the balancer.

IMG_2689_zpsce9900a3.jpg

Then I cut the outer circle and tried the fit.

IMG_2690_zps9dd30710.jpg

And then I installed the pulley. I need to have the machine shop mill a little of the thickness off so the pulleys align perfectly.

IMG_2693_zpscbb79ec9.jpg