Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1948 Chevrolet fleetmaster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gallogiro, Jun 9, 2013.

1. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Sweet score on those tires. I think black would work for the rims...or the same cream color that's on the middle of the car.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

Personally I think woodgrain on the rims would probably be too much, maybe just a simple metallic brown or even simple single stage-possibly when you get the car striped use a red accent...just my .02 cents.

3. gallogiro

gallogiro

ooo yea I scored. online theyre $245 each before shipping and tax. I still have to get the tubes, but lucky that pep boys carries them for 15 bucks but are slime brand. yea slime, the guys that make the green fix a flat goop. well see how that goes...

and i want my car looking really old looking, that's why i was thinking black. but good idea on the cream color, will look nice when i think about it. my powdercoat guy wants me to work on his 36 Pontiac so hes not charging me to powdercoat them. im going over early, so hope he can get them done the same day id love to have them mounted by tomorrow and see how they look. powdercoat is good to go once its pulled out the oven right?

these tires look huge, and they are, but theyre only alittle over an inch taller than the average whitewalls people put on these cars. but i do love how they look that big, gives me the idea of something like this

[​IMG]

4. gallogiro

gallogiro

yea that's why i held off on the woodgrain, thought it might have been too much as well since i already have the outside windows done that way. would you guys fly these? i won them i get them tomorrow in the mail but not sure if they'll look good too, got them because for alittle over 20 bucks theres no way i was going to let them go

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-chevrolet-WIRE-WHEEL-SPOKE-ASSEMBLY-KIT-1949-1950-1951-1952-F2-/141063239218?nma=true&si=CBIdeaWsaxtEUPMNxDG9V629kek%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

you would still see the rim clearly whatever color i decide to paint them, would just light accent them. or i can powdercoat them same color as the rims like the model t rims that have colored spokes. what do you guys think, fly them or sell them?

5. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

Sorry but I would save em for another project, just a simple dog dish cap or spiders

6. El Jefe ATX

El Jefe ATX
    from Austin TX

Black with red accents.

Not so much on the spokes.

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

That Ebay item you won is very interesting. It's the first time I've seen those anywhere. I would run them on your bomb because they will attract attention and they are period correct. Go for it.

8. gallogiro

gallogiro

ok guys, honestly I lost sleep thinking maybe the wheels weren't going to fit. 16 600 are already huge, but look how they look next to my new ones. the 600s are the small ones, the 750 are the tall ones

[​IMG]

I thought I gambled my 200 plus 68 for the tubes and 20 to mount on the rim on tires I wasn't going to be able to use, or they'll mount but wont be able to turn completely left or right. only one way to find out, take those wheels off and roll the dice (house being built next door matches my car too) and by the way I went BLACK on my rims, like the look I saw an episode of boardwalk empire all the old cars had black rims

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so im at the tire shop and the guys gathered around the tires, all of them were god damn, what the hell do those go to? a tractor? but they all said they were beautiful, never seen whitewalls that wide and there a tire shop. well they mounted the tires and tubes, was a very quiet ride home I didn't know if I wasted 300 bucks that could have gone into tires that would have worked.

got home, didn't even close the truck door I just grabbed one and ran up to the car and placed the rim on the studs and tightened them up quick with my impact gun and took a look, ok it cleared the front wheel wells, but will they hit when I turn the wheel? I get in it and turn the wheel all the way left than right and peek, have TONS of clearance =D

then I tighten them all snug and move to the back, was worried they only went in by sliding them under the fender not straight in. tightened them all up and drop the car, TONS of clearance along the top I was worried theyd hit the inside of the fender. so the tires fit and worked perfect! tons of clearance

check out how the whitewall just eats up the whole wheel well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

back wheel

[​IMG]

front wheel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

car is dirty I know, cleaning it up again this week. raised the car up pretty high, but I like it, its going to stay that way. no way it can drop with those tires anyways but I like the look it has a lot, way better than before

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. gallogiro

gallogiro

when I turn right or left, tons of clearance on the fender lip and on the frame and anything else under the car

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a whole lot of room inside the rear wheel, almost a foot of space. I was worried about them being too tall but not even close even bigger wheels fit but this is good enough

[​IMG]

the support bracket isn't bolted on yet on either side so that's why they look alittle close to the tire, when I hold it to where it bolts on and holds the fender there is actually a lot of space in between

[​IMG]

on the front of the rear wheel too

[​IMG]

I really like how the whitewall takes up the whole wheel well, im happy with how this came out

[​IMG]

10. gallogiro

gallogiro

now here are the wire wheel adapter kit thing I won on ebay, its NOS and really old the newest car it shows in the application chart is 1952 I think or 1953

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it works by drilling a small hole in the small center hubcap and putting it on and screwing the cap thing on it to hold it on. pretty simple but makes your rims look like spokes. I don't have hubcaps, mocking it up picture a small hubcap under it to screw it down to but this is how itll look

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so what do you guys think, fly them? if not ill just sell them they'll look cool on another car, never seen them before myself so itll be unique

11. shadams

shadams

Holy hell those tires are big....I am trying to figure out if I would have said that anyway or if I only noticed because you brought it up.....nope....they are huge...I think I like it though...no way you can lower the back a little? Needs a little rearward lean if you ask me...as far as the spokes, I really have to see it with the caps underneath...

12. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I like the look of the wires and the tires. They fit the look you are after perfectly. Maybe you can use some beauty rings to bring it out more.

13. gallogiro

gallogiro

yea, why do you think I lost sleep last night I thought I blew my money with tires nobodys going to want or be able to use. the guys at the tire shop thought they were tractor tires, they are up to my hips theyre taller than the 22s I have on my truck. but they worked =) but they look and the car looks extremely odd and way out of the ordinary with the tires that big, but I like it and thank god they worked! but its a sight to see, looks classy but out of the ordinary. and yea the back can lower, I have about a foot clearance before it hits the top of the rear fender. I think these tires were off one of those studts cars or bearcat, those mr burns scrooge mcduck cars. or a caddy limo

14. gallogiro

gallogiro

and yea they'll work with beauty rings on it too. as for the hub cap under the wires picture it blacked out or chrome. im getting a lot of yes and no's. I cant decide cause I haven't seen them mounted with the cap but they are different that's for sure. when I first won them I was worried of them looking like I got them from autozone bling out aisle but they don't have that look so its good

15. gallogiro

gallogiro

night pictures, white pops more

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

I took 2 evenings and read your entire thread. I have to say you have done an awesome job! At first I thought the woodgrain would look sketchy. When you did it I was like holly crap, that looks awesome! Your tires worked out swell and I think those wire conversion kits will look good just because it isn't something you see on every other car. Your interior looks bad ass too! Thanks for posting this up!

17. gallogiro

gallogiro

thanks forddeluxe, glad you enjoyed the build. its coming to its end, still have some tricks up my sleeve for it as in the trunk and some accessory extras im installing but for the build its in the home stretch. ill keep the topic interesting after its done with photoshoot pictures =) that and I plan every winter to repaint it for a new look every summer, or ever other summer if I like how it looks at the time. right now rebuilding the carb, hope I get it right this time

18. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I think i like those giant ass tires, and i think I like those wire caps.

The only thing I would suggest is fender skirts in the rear, it would hide how the tire is off-centered in the wheel well.

19. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Here's an idea of what it would look like with the skirts.

[​IMG]
    I think dropping the rear just an inch or maybe 2 would really make it look right.

Attached Files:

20. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

The tires look good on the car, really stand out in a good way. With the color.combo it really shows off all the design cues of a fat-fendered forties car. I also dig the idea of skirts for the rear if you can swing it.

21. gallogiro

gallogiro

hell yea! I was wondering what it would look like with skirts but I was definitely going to go with skirts, teardrops actually. but I was playing in my head what it would look like so thank you very much for the picture =D now im definitely getting them! itll work because the tires are taller than average, not wider so the stock style flush skirts or the teardrops that mount on the outside of the car will work.

and thanks daryl, the tires do make the car look more bubbly, as a 40s car is =)

and even with those big tires, I still have about a foot I can drop before I hit anything inside the rear fender. these tires are tall, but from an average 600 16 size tire its about and inch and a half from rim edge to top of tire bigger which isn't much, but when you put them side to side its bigger by 3 inches (top halfs inch and a half and bottom halfs inch and a half) so they look bigger. but in the aspect of clearance all around its only inch and a half if you get what im saying. so even the bottom will still drop if I cut a turn or two on the springs and still clear

22. gallogiro

gallogiro

man, spent the whole day yesterday cleaning and rebuilding that carter yf, put it on and turns out it leaks worse than the Rochester =( so I put the Rochester back on

[​IMG]

then I figured for now its the best itll do, ill try to start it. was having trouble, was wired right but dist was pointing in wrong direction. so he showed me how to spin the distributor the other way, prepped it then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DslVAutjlck&feature=youtu.be

its alive! well it starts =b now I just need to time it, anyone know how to time it and make the popping go away? also it was missing the vacuum plug on the side of the intake so that had part to do with it, but still want it tuned and timed right. I don't see any timing gauge on the block so how are these timed? anyone know what reasons it might be popping like that? sounds loud too because my exhaust isn't hooked up doing that tomorrow. but its alive, struggling but alive =D once I figure out how to have it humming right, ill throw it in drive and drive it, almost there guys even closer!

23. gallogiro

gallogiro

I just noticed it the box had a label, I thought it was just a box they used to ship it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

To me it sounds like it's out of time pretty good. At least it is making sounds though!

25. 2racer

2racer

Timing mark: steel ball located on flywheel, viewed thru hole in bellhousing, on top if I remember....

26. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

On the passenger side of car look at the back of the block, just above the starter there is a small hole, that is where the timing indicator is-a small bb on the flywheel-that's the timing mark-somewhere round middle of that hole should be the correct timing. Problem is its a bitch to see and even harder to see while turning the distributor!!! When I had that motor the best way I found to time it was by ear-I saw the video you posted and while it was out, I don't think it was all that far out. Just play with it a little, with only 1 carb it should be fairly easy to get it running pretty smooth.

27. jkski

jkski

this is what u will see in the timing hole

Attached Files:

28. gallogiro

gallogiro

thanks for all the info guys, I need all this to try everything possible that could be causing it. the think that's concerning me now is that when I put the flywheel on, I think I just bolted it in, I didn't align or set it to anything so if theres a marker on the flywheel then it wont be where its supposed to be I think.
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/reyes213/48/2013-05-28181526_zps6471f9a1.jpg
    so if it was supposed to be set on a certain spot im sure its not on it anymore unless it only goes on one way when you put it in and I did. but don't remember doing that I just popped it in and that's it.
    and as for the valves, are they easy to adjust? this is what they look like with the cover off
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/reyes213/48/2013-05-21183356_zps5ef420bd.jpg
    yea I know part of it is the vacuum leak from the vacuum hole open on the side of the manifold. and where do I put the marvel oil on, im thinking now its going to be a valve issue, sticking or too tight hope i dont have to replace. but this motor was sitting for a while. and the carb gasket, do you mean the one that's between the carb and the manifold or on the carb itself like the base and bowl. what I noticed is when it vacuumed because the car is on, it wasn't leaking anymore I guess it started sucking it down so wouldn't collect in the throat. but if it does happen again ill just pay to rebuild it. thanks for all the info guys, im going to try all of them

29. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

That video is great Sounds a bit like a shoot out/ fitting for the car! I don't think it's too far out just play with it a bit. It may just be a vacuum leak. When are you going to make the video on wood graining? Your's turned out really beautiful!

30. I have a feeling from the last one I did that one of the holes in the flywheel is offset, so it can only go on one way.
    For setting the valves, have a look at this:
    http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1942_47/index.htm
    Get someone to crank (not start) the engine while you look at each valve's operation. They should all be moving, and they should move the same distance.
    If you suspect a sticky valve, try a compression test, that will tell you which cylinder to focuss on.
    You must block all vacuum leaks before you try any faultfinding. If you suspect a carby-base gasket, dribble a little engine oil around there while it's running, it will seal the leak for a few seconds, and the motor will change its note.