Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. ec164

ec164
    from MI

YES it looked like lots of fun, Dales car looks real impressive pulling hard out of the burnout.......Al

2. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;WOW,that was too much fun!!!A little tough making a drag car with a spool stay up on the bank!! A bit of right rudder kept us up there though!!! Thanks for riding shotgun and getting those videos!!! ROY.

3. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

You want a real treat? Plug in a set of earphones to your computer, and LISTEN to Roy's motor hit!!

MY only complaint- they let that other group in on the ""parade"" lap. Parade lap??? Waddya mean? We were supposed to be racing each other!

The banking is indeed a bit challenging. Being behind Roy, and literally watching his car leap off the ground----- now that was a front row seat!

4. projim64

projim64

I will let him know . He was just over and we took the Comet out for a ride over the mountain to the next town to a car show but everyone was leaving. That is ok the fun is in the drive there and back .

5. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

6. 65COMET

65COMET

Myron;I'm not sure but I believe that is a custom build,not a factory Comet.It sure looks like, and the description sounds like,a 64 FE powered Comet from the Midwest that came West,then went back to the Midwest.There are pictures of it from the Ford Show at Knotts Berry Farm here in So. CA.! The information has nothing to do with Dyno Don ever driving it,but Dyno's 64 was a factory built car and I believe it ended up in a private collection. ROY.

7. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

It's not a Factory 64 AFX Comet. It has Steel doors & front fenders and a Med Riser Engine w/ 2 x 4's, DST 9" w / tracksion bars 10.5 wide slicks & Black interior also roll cage.
    It's around $25,000 now and you can't have it built for that today and you can drive it. Looks like a good head turner while driving down the street. AFX DAVE

8. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

9. Is anyone else getting virus alerts from pics on this page?
    Roger

10. 65COMET

65COMET

Dave;I did not think it was a factory Comet Drag Car! It sure does remind me of a 64 I saw here in California a few years ago! I agree,you could not build it for that price!!!! ROY

11. 65COMET

65COMET

Roger;I do not get any messages,just went back through a few,no issues! ROY.

12. ec164

ec164
    from MI

I got the Virus alert message but the last post at the time has been deleted, I was suspicious so didnt click to see what was the nicest Comet ever in that post looked like.....Al

13. ec164

ec164
    from MI

I agree with you and AFX Dave to many little things said not built that way, and for sure can't build it for that amount....although it better be a awful nice body, some of the trim pieces didn't look real crisp.....Al

14. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;if it is the 64 I think it is,it is a decent car,does need attention though.I saw it at a friends shop on a couple of occasions then saw it at Knotts Berry Farms All Ford Show,nice,but not $25,000 worth of nice!! JMO , ROY.

15. Muttley

Muttley

Saw a cool gold w/white top '65 Hardtop this morning while I was doing some running around. It really took me by surprise, I've had mine 5+ years and have never seen another '65 on the road since. Too bad I wasnt driving mine and the guy was going the other way or I would have tried to get his attention and maybe shoot the breeze a little.

16. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;you just never know when or where a Comet will show up!!Will you be able to get down to the CHRR? I'm racing with the A/FX group again this year! ROY.

17. Merritt

Merritt

Hello to everyone on this thread, I was fortunate to go to the Epping,NH New England Hot Rod Reunion, only a 7 hour drive from PA, the event went pretty well despite the rain on Thursday and Friday afternoons.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    Thanks to ClearSpot for including a picture of my car, and for taking the time to load 8 pages of pictures of cars at the Hot Rod Reunion. To look at ClearSpots pictures go to page 352, message #7033, to see the pictures.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    To ec64 My car ran 10.59 and 10.55 on Saturday, I ended my day in the second round with a .006 red light, to my opponents .407, ouch.

18. 65COMET

65COMET

Merritt;sounds like you have your Comet FLYING!!!There is an old saying,"if you don't go red once in a while,you are not trying"! It sucks to go red,as the race is over for you [unless the guy crosses the center line]!! ROY.

19. Muttley

Muttley

Not unless my situation does a complete 180 in the next couple of weeks. Someday I'll be back, just dont know when. BTW, dont think I forgot about the regulator you sent me...........someday, when you least expect it there will be a package at your door. ;) :D

20. 65COMET

65COMET

Muttley;I did not realize your situation had not changed,that SUCKS!! No worries,I just was hoping to meet up with you some day!! ROY.

21. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

One I just finished up for my son. Engine is a 460.

Attached Files:

22. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

That yellow 65 Comet looks good! My firat new car was a yellow 65 Comet Cylclone that I brought in July of 64 and picked it up first day they were released from the dealer. I sold it in 1971 for $175.00. Then bought another 65 Cyclone 4-speed in 1982 for $2500.00. That's how it goes in the Comet World.~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~

23. 65COMET

65COMET

Did a Test-n-Tune last night,I feel we have the clutch where it needs to be.Also worked on launch RPM and tire pressures,looks like 6000RPM launch at 10PSI works.The session was shortened after a bad crash with the driver being taken away in the Ambulance,no word on his condition! Dave;crazy how the price of a Comet can change,I paid $50 for a roller,fairly nice,$200 for a four door,nice parts car,$500 for a rusted out Cyclone,took off what was saveable,scrapped the rest! ROY.

24. Falconred

Falconred

Any here have a '64 Burundy Comet at the Gear Jamers drags at Commerce, GA this past saturday? It had a grafted on bubble on the hood and I think a 385 series engine. I didn't have a camera and was with friends so I didn't make it down to look it over very good.

25. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Would that be the Burgundy Comet out of the Northwest with the 429 engine?He use to show up at the CHRR.Last I heard it was for sale....I think that there are pictures of it on this site at the CHRR.

26. 65COMET

65COMET

If it was the same 64 it did sell and ended up somewhere in the East or Midwest!Burgundy Cyclone with a 385 series engine and a dropped solid axle? ROY.

27. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Chrr...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  28. Falconred

Falconred

Thanks but this car had a bubble hood and no straight axle. I'll do a little more research and let you know what I find.

29. ec164

ec164
    from MI

I've watched it on you tube high bubble hood no straight axle 385 series. Quite a fast car although I don't remember to quote ET. The Video will have a Black 61 Bubble Top launching to click on, I think that race was july this year in Ill.......Al

30. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I'm excited to be the first to debut Rocket Racing's new 15x4.5 Strike front runner wheels under the front of my Comet, at this years Reunion. These rims have been a two year wait for me, and are the match to my rear wheels I currently run!! Rocket just finished the first batch, and I cannot wait for UPS to roll up to my house!!