Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody goin to the Lambrecht Chevrolet auction?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clean cut creations, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chubbie

chubbie

just a coment on the "they will regret" there were 2 different color bidding numbers. You had to have a letter of credit from your bank to get a number. all the CRAZY bids on cars were backed up by cash/credit at the bank. or you are a order buyer backed by a rich SOB! thats premeditated bidding!! and if you have the right stuff for an elite bidding number, money is a renewable commodity!! some of these cars are not!!

I didn't even get a buyers number, there were cars/parts i wish i had. But this is just like life, someone always has more money.

2. Kinda like the old days gold rush in California and the land rush in Oklahoma, when they got there all they saw was a lot dirt.......in this case it was a lot of rust.....

The guy that bought the Cameo spent over 1.5 million on cars.....

3. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

The day 2 auction prices weren't that bad. Appears the feeding frenzy was on day 1.

4. Jims35

Jims35

I never watched the bids but the auction co. did what they were hired to do , sell all they can at the highest price they can get.

I wonder if this will help me get a little more of what i have in mine back now when i sell it ? I'm not like some guys that think they should get all their money back they put in . I built it to be building something and just drive it , not an investment .

5. davidh73750

davidh73750

that black and white 56 chevy wagon had a rusty frame, floors you could drop bowling balls through and went for $5500. If you had another frame and wanted to put floors on would be good car but but not cost effective for sure. . I think it may sting us some on buying old cars but will soon fade. Like I said I went for entertainment and that one will never happen like this again likely. glad I didn't stay day 2 for that 55 4dr with no grille, headlights I was hoping for $700 it went for $2500!!

6. chopped

chopped

Is it time for one of those "how many new parts can you put on a car and still call it original" threads ?

7. pbajeff

pbajeff
    from 79065

Got back home late last night from the auction and here are a few of my observations.

I talked to a couple of the guys who bought some of the higher priced cars. They both said they do not plan on restoring or driving the cars they bought.
    They are going to get them detailed out as best as they can for what there is and put them up in their collections. I would guess that is probably what is going to happen to the majority of the non-titled cars. One guy said he is not even going to get it titled - just keep it as an un-titled original. I am going to assume he wont have to pay tax on it because of that - but I do not know that for fact.

In my opinion cars were built to be driven, so that is not my cup of tea, but to each his own. Some like red - some like blue kind of thing.

I did talk to several of the locals there and you ought to hear some of the stories they told about the old man. I could not understand how a true car guy could let a car sit out in the weather for 50+ years, but according to people I talked to, a lot of the things that were missing off the vehicles were taken off by the dealership so that they could then be re-classified as parts cars and written off taxes. Some of the stories may of been just gossip so I wont go into all of them here, but it certainly sounds as if he was quite the eccentric.
    Most of the radiators and some of the other things were stolen over the years also.

I went thinking I might pick up one of the so called project cars but figured out real quick that was not going to happen. The prices the "new" stuff brought suprised me to some extent, but the prices the projects brought totally stunned me. You can possibly justify the "new" ones to some degree, but the projects - there is just no excuse there.

I saw myself a couple of times on TV and then could see the back of my head in couple of the pics the other guy posted. If anyone is interested in an autograph just holler............ lol

All in all, we had a good time and I am glad I made the 1400 mile round trip. It was something to see for sure.

8. I keep reading "stupid buyers","stupid money",etc. I don't know...just like the guy who bought the original Batmobile...only the buyer can justify the purchase,right or wrong.
    I think the thing that sparked all the hooplaw,was the fact that many were extremely low miles,1-5 even. I think it's a strange place to put yourself in. Do you restore an original vehicle with 1.5 miles on it? If you buy one of these vehicles,25-40k,then spend another 25-40k to restore,to only make it worth,maybe 30-40k when done? Will the fact that it's a "Lambrecht" vehicle mean anything upon the next time it sells,like a Yenco? Only time will tell. I'm wondering if any of these will show up at Barrett Jackson,"AS IS", sold as a Lambrecht car? I think many will not be seen again.
    I think the smartest thing to do would be to restore it,cause they were complete with OEM parts.
    The only stupid thing I saw,was that idiot who bid on the '69 Chevelle,396,matching numbers car he wanted to part out! WTF! Why not cut the roof off the one you have any fix the matching numbers car? DUMBASS!!!

9. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

The only stupid thing I saw was a couple of dildos blowin hot air about nonsense while the auction rolled on.....

10. gatz

gatz

doesn't make much sense...if the auction price was in the range of $450 to $525 per his description, why would he have "no reserve" and a start price of $50 ??

I'll watch the ebay ad.

11. Funny...I read on here that the price of C10's will go up 3K! Really? Do they have 1mile on them? Are they a Lambrecht vehicle? Then,NO...they will NOT go up 3K! Need to think before making such a statement guys.

12. chubbie

chubbie

Just had the thought that some of you would like to meet Yvette. she has been BLASTED on the HAMB!!

first of all she is a HAMB member! she owns her own business, selling classic cars and other specialty items including firearms. she grew up in the sioux falls area, (Garretson) her fathers name is Art Nordstrum. a lifetime collector and motorhead. as i remember he collected tri-five chevys. he bought them for nothing and had a large auction and sold them for big $ about 20 years ago?? This was the 1st Yvette classic car auction. the family was into motor sports and Yvette drove on the dirt track in dads car. she drove dads classic cars growing up. The Nordstrums own a huge salvage yard called Nordstrom auto. on a 3rd generation farm. They vend at large midwest car shows selling late model engine swaps (because thats what they have, like a hotrodder) they will sell you a motor or install it in your car. they will sell you a new hemi with every thing you need to plug and play into 1940-70 chassis. ask any Nordstrom about a classic car, including Yvette and you will get an informed answer!!!! Her husband Steve Van Den Brink is an auctioner, from Hardwick Minn. and collects classic cars/trucks and tractors because they farm.

So Yvette is a motor head! she raced, wrenched, and has owned classic cars. most of wich are HAMB friendly! She is one of us! Only she took this hobby and is making a living at what she loves. just like most of you wish you could do, She is the real deal..not a wanabee

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  13. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

This one puzzles me, it had a bid of $17,500 on the online auction the last I knew, then I see it was passed. Seems like a lot of money to pass on. :confused:

There was one of the pickups that had an online bid of $20,250 that got passed also.

Close to $40,000 getting passed? I wonder why? Didn't check out the guy running up the bid good enough?

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

wow. looking at a page where theyhad prices for some dealer posters and other items there was posters selling for $800.00 that you can get on ebay for about $30.00. there was a 58 Chevrolet poster that sold for $1400.00 that would go for about $100.00.

people shouldn't be buying thing that they have no idea of the value or how easy they are to find

15. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

P.T. Barnum would be proud.

16. Gabe1775

Gabe1775

I just wonder how the prices paid at this auction, are going to make old car owners think their car is worth that much. I see that all the time an old car only worth about $2000 the guy wants $10,000

17. fuzzface

fuzzface

As already mentioned above by someone else, the ebay seller didn't buy it at this auction, he has the same item and is just trying to use the auction prices to boost is ebay price up some. he probably would be happy at $50.00 seeing that is where he started at but is willing to take more. :) I know if I had one laying around, I would do the same thing, now would be the time to try selling it before everyone forgets what they brought at that auction.

18. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I'll have to agree that o****e is "onsite"

I've been trying to figure that one out myself. There were 3 56 chevys on the block. The australian gal that was on tv bought one. I believe proxy-bid had the buyer of all 3 listed as o****e.......which leads me to believe it to be "onsite". Also, If you count the * again it works out.
    If my theory is wrong, and it is all one bidder, it should be easy to find out who he is, when we get to see him transport them all!!

Maybe it's someone in CUBA who's going update the vintage vehicle supply there.....:)

19. The value of a dollar varies considerably, depending on who possesses it.
    Take a person that makes $200.00 a week vs a person who makes $200.00 an hour, do you suppose buying a 1958 Cameo for $140K (as an example) has the same significance to their household budget for both of them?..of course not.
    People who possess the large bankrolls, can and will spend them for what they want..why?..because they can.

20. cavman

cavman

One can only imagine the prices if the building and the woods would have been full of low mileage vintage 5 windows, or coupes and roadsters....say '29 to '40 blue ovals. THEN we would be talking stupid money. :)
    If I had a collection of any kind of transportation for sale I would want her to draw the largest crowd possible, that she did. And did it well.

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

People are pissed because they got pulled in. It'll pass.

22. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't buy that argument. While it's not true for lottery winners and people who inherit daddy's wealth, many rich people got where they are by hard work and knowing the value of a dollar. They tend to be less emotional about "things" for just this reason: they know they can always buy things. I don't know too many rich people (and I know a few) who would waste their money by paying far more for something than its market value. That's not how they got rich and it's not generally how they live their lives.

As has been pointed out, most of these cars were available elsewhere, in better condition, for less money. The fact that they were Lambrecht cars will make zero difference in their longterm value. The only mitigating factor was the extremely low mileage on a few of them, but they still paid way more for those cars than the "low mileage premium" would have suggested.

23. Really? So "you can always buy" a 1958 Cameo never titled/never licensed/fully documented with 29 miles?

24. 5window

5window

Didn't go to the auction-couldn't even read most of the drivel written on this thread. I take my hat off to Yvette,though. She appears to be a "car guy" and is making a living doing what she loves to do. She did exactly what an auctioneer is supposed to do-build up hype and interest in the auction and then secure top dollar for the sellers (and,herself by commission, of course). I have no problem with that. If the bidders paid too much-they all appear to be grownups. If you don't like the prices--too bad, clearly some folks did.

At the end of the day, there are a ton of whiners here. No excuses are needed -you didn't go, you didn't bid. End of story. Good job, Yvette.

25. Model T1

Model T1

I didn't go. Had no reason. Have more junk than I have time or money already. I probably read every post on every thread about the auction. I agree the auction company did their job well and a lot of people had a good time. Found it very intertaining and interesting. What more could I ask for.
    Some people have money. Some people have brains. A few have both!;)

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I have a friend who was raised and inherited wealth. If you met her or saw her shop, you'd never know it. She doesn't buy expensive things or spend just because she can. She uses coupons at the supermarket, for gods sake. She buys things that make sense. You'll notice, a lot of the best dressed people don't have a pot to piss in. They just LOOK rich. They THINK that's what rich people do, when in fact, it's actually the opposite for many of them.

I heard Buffet say, wealthy people don't get wealthy spending money. They know how to keep it.

27. I completly agree that certain people take great strides to look the part.
    My point was not to come off as people with great wealth spend money friviously..but more to the point, they will step up to the plate, on that rare one off item, be it a vehicle or a painting, or whatever, it that's what rocks their world.

28. chopped

chopped

Yup, it's the smart hardworking folks with large sums of money. How else could all the Kardasheans (sp) get rich.

29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

But you still felt the need to add your own drivel to the mix. :D Gotta love the HAMB.

I was hoping all this bullshit would end when the auction was over.

Wishful thinking. As it was pointed out earlier, we now get to hear everyones opinion whether we want to or not :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.