Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mopar flathead six carbs and ignition

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by papajohn, Sep 27, 2013.

1. papajohn

papajohn

What's the best 2 bolt, one barrels to run on a 230 Dodge flathead six?

Also, has anyone bought the mini hei from Stovebolt co.? Is it worth the $190 ?

Posted using a number two pencil on a paper napkin.

2. 73RR

73RR

If you do some searching you will find a tech thread on converting a slant 6 dizzy for your 230.

3. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

The best one is the one it came with, Solex BV4 I believe, 2nd best would be the Carter B1B from the same year Plymouth. If you have the gyromatic trans, the solex has some circuits and connections that play well with the trans.

Pertronix also makes a drop in conversion. Specify positive ground when ordering. tell the person to look in the Agricultural catalog under Massey Ferguson Chrysler industrial engine listings.

Why do you think you need pointless ignition?

4. papajohn

papajohn

Thanks. I will do a search.

5. papajohn

papajohn

Thanks.

Points and coil are shot. Car is already headed to 12v neg. Pertronics kit is $103 full hei dist with coil is $190. Old distributor looks kind of sloppy.

I put a petronics on my 394 Olds. It helped, but bushings were worn so it wasn't perfect. That's why the hei from Stovebolt appeals.

6. 73RR

73RR

7. hkestes

hkestes

I have the Stovebolt Mini HEI in my 230 and it made a big difference in starting and runs great. With the optional round coil you are hard pressed to visually notice the difference between the HEI and stock with just a quick look.

8. murfman

murfman

I have the HEI in mine as well, made it my self, I found a how to thread on line and followed it damned if I can find it now

9. Holly made a nice one barel for the slant six and it's a holly so it opens up some jetting I think

10. C-1-PW

C-1-PW

Dang! Where was this distributor conversion thread when I needed it?

I used the slant Six Forum for my conversion information. The 230/slant six distributor marriage works great. Combined with an MSD Blaster coil, the GM HEI ignition module (LX-301 or D-1906), and an electronic voltage regulator, and the Dodge 230 has never been happier. Plus, I have the satisfaction of having done the work myself.

http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15779