Register now to get rid of these ads!

Using a locomotive wheel style coupling rod to offset the steering column?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldandnew, Sep 6, 2013.

1. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Sounds like something you'd see on a lawnmower or a go cart. Why try to re invent the wheel? Offset the engine, use a narrower engine, or one of the chain drives built for this purpose.

2. wizardfab

wizardfab

Ok,I get it a lot of people don't trust it but I would like to know what it is about a chain that bothers them? I am the guy that designed and manufactures Steer Clear and can tell you it is BAD ASS! In the last 9 years it has been used in all different types of vehicles, with nothing but praise. This year alone it is on the 3 top cars out there. The Ridler winner "Checkered Past" 1940 ford, the Rad Rides by Troy 1956 Buick " Nailed", and George Poteet's Torino, Need more? Chrysler used one in a concept jeep and tested it in Moab Utah and loved it.We have more than 5 that have gone past 200 MPH on the salt. You can't hurt the things and there is no strange feel to the steering! Everyone loves them. I would love to answer any questions you might have. Dave

3. May be the greatest thing since sliced cheese,,but it sure isn't traditional,,why try and reinvent the wheel? HRP

4. I will say it took awhile to grow on me...and I've seen a number of old shade tree dirt track cars that raced for years with a timing chain set for a steering quickener!

I think the response here may have more to do with the nature of this forum than actual experience with your product.

5. Wizard, My build doesn't have a need for an offset in the steering shaft, but if it did I would certainly give your product a look. Those that are trying to build a "something" that only exists in there mind probably will be a hard sell. I am sure that at some point, some ancient rodder looked at his car and realized that if he was going to get a steering shaft around his other components, he needed a pair of sprockets and a chain. After all, his motorcycle had one as a final drive and it had a lot more power that his arms!

6. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Use the enclosed "chain drive",.....You can put it on either side of the firewall, in some cases.

i have not heard of one failing.

4TTRUK

7. terryr

terryr
    from earth

I was a garbageman for a few years and some trucks were converted to RHD using chains and sprockets and a second steering column.

If the city lawyers allowed it it had to be okay.

It's not like it's spinning at 500rpm or anything.