Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Gear Jam Drags, Rod n Custom Show, Swap Meet; Sept. 28

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brad54, Aug 12, 2013.

1. captainjim

captainjim
    from georgia
    1. S.F.C.C.

We really enjoyed the event and company. Jim Suzi

2. Damn work!.....next year....
    Sounded like all the boys and girls had a LARGE time.
    Congrats on a good show Brad.

3. It was a great show and swap. The cruise Friday night was cool too. Had a blast.

Special thanks to Moon Rocket for shuttling my car home with your rig. That was a big help.

4. Awesome show! Really liked how the classes were set up by lanes. No fooling around at the start - Hot Rods in these lanes - Gassers in these lanes - Muscle cars in these lanes. It ran fast and made it fun.

5. halfasskustoms

halfasskustoms
    from Durham NC

6. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

How about some videos?

7. scottmech

scottmech
    from GA

Had a great time as well....except for my last pass....
    Here's a before and after comparison.
    Before (during the burnout):
    [​IMG]

And after (engine let go just past the 1/8th mi):
    Is there supposed to be a hole in the oil pan??LOL
    [​IMG]

Still had a lot of fun none the less.
    The cruise in downtown Commerce Fri night was great.
    Had fun staying at the track Fri night too.
    Definitely plan on coming next year.

By the way....I'm looking for any pics or movies people might have gotten when the engine blew. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  8. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

I see you couldn't resist turning it up a little for the final eliminator round? :eek:

9. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

No problem, just pass it on brother.

Looking forward to next year!

10. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

There are a ton of pics on Ironside Racing's Facebook page. He's the photographer that was shooting from his wheelchair near the starting line. Funny guy. He told me to feel free to share, copy, print any thing you like. He doesn't copy write any of the pics. Give him props regardless.

I hope Brad did well enough on this deal that he wants to do it again. The was as much fun as I've ever had at Atlanta Dragway and I've been going there for 33 years.

11. Damn Scott! How fast can you get that fixed? Atlanta 10,000 in 3 weeks !

12. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Seriously?? My race was as much fun as you've ever had there?!
    Damn... I'm humbled. I mean that.

If you'd have asked me around 8am if I was ever going to do it again... when the 19 people I had scheduled to work for me turned into 11, I'd have said "probably not."
    If you'd have asked me around 2:30 when the tower was melting down trying to figure out the race program, I'd have said "No."
    If you'd have asked me after the car show awards, when everyone was telling me how much fun they had and how much they liked the event, I'd have said "Hmm... maybe..."
    If you'd have asked me when I was in the tower writing payout checks to the racers and hearing how all of them had a good time and loved the format (and not just because they won something), I'd have said "Yeah, probably."

And then I've been reading several threads on a bunch of different websites, all of them talking about how much fun they had racing, watching the racing, looking at the cars, how much fun they had with their families... and I'm back into the "Hell yeah I'm gonna do it again!" mode.

It's been 24 hours, and I'm already figuring out ways to make the event bigger, better, and smoother for next year.

As for breaking even? I figured I wouldn't, because first-time events rarely do, so I built that into my budget. The goal for this year was to have a foundation for next year's event. And since foundations typically get buried...

-Brad

13. Thumper

Thumper

You rock Brad..!! Next year I'm definatly going to be able to stay the whole day. I've told everybody I know they missed a damn good event. If there is anything I can help with..give me a shout.

14. scottmech

scottmech
    from GA

More than likely...done for the season.:(

15. scottmech

scottmech
    from GA

It's definitely got the foundation to be something good.
    Will hit you up with an email about some possible recommendations on the racing after things calm down a bit....

16. Me personally, had a BLAST!! Between the street cruising in front of the local po-po without exhaust, to camping out at the track hanging around a campfire, bench racing, swap meeting, drag racing, mini-biking, and all the general bullshitting, I think it was a great success!!! It was the first time I was close enough for my two daughters to make the trip to the drag strip and watch me race and the had a good time,, even as Pre-teens!! It was less than a three hour trip, to go racing and get to make pass after pass after pass and keep racing for shits and giggles even after the top eight were chosen!! All in all I would say it was a success!!! Thanks Brad for all the thought and effort it took to pull an event of this caliber off!! As you said Friday night " I wanted it to be a family oriented event" well, you nailed it!! I have you on my schedule for next year and will spread the word and bring more folks with me !!!

17. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

Uh, Mr. Moon Rocket, I would strongly suggest you consider a diaper for your race car..........they work. Even if you never have to depend on it again, the peace of mind, and the thumbs up from tech officials and track operators is worth it. WWAAAAAYYYYYY cheaper than a race car and hospital bills.............

18. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

x2.

It was a great race/swap meet/show.

Great assortment of nostalgia cars and personally my favorite race I've been to at commerce so far.

Really bummed I didn't get the dragster sorted out in time to attempt some passes but got to drive into the show car area which was pretty neat.

Great job brad and thanks again for putting in all the time to make it work.

19. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

EDIT/CORRECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry and apologies to Moon Rocket for my earlier post.....ref the engine diaper. I had a brain fart and didn't look close enough to see the original post was from "Scottmech." The olive branch of peace and a white dove to you Moon Rocket..............

20. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

No problem, hell my shell is harder than a turtle's! :D

Funny thing about the diaper though. A few years ago a few of us built a old RR to take to the Turkey run to sell. The damn thing was dropping so much trans fluid it would puddle every time we parked it.

So we bought some disposable diapers and tied a couple under the trans with bailing wire.

I swear it sold for $500.00 more than we would have taken just because the guy that bought it though the diaper was so cool! ;)

21. Firepower71

Firepower71
    from Atlanta

this was a great event, hope it continues to grow.
    here's one i shot, have a few more coming.

Attached Files:

22. Wow ! Nice shot Brian!

23. gofaster

gofaster
    from georgia

Had a great time at the show and it was pretty cool to be surrounded by all the vintage iron without an import or late model car to be seen.

One item that I really enjoyed was as a "car show" participant the ability to make passes down the track. I have never made it through Atlanta Dragway's tech or the staging lanes as quickly as I did Saturday.

Nice job Brad!

24. vegaracechic24

vegaracechic24
    from Winder,Ga

I second that Dave!!! It was a lot of fun and the most laid back type of racing I have ever seen at that track. you did a great job keeping the show running.
    Thanks Brad for putting this on and I can't wait till next year!!

25. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

We drove down from near Spartanburg Friday afternoon....had a good time both days....nice event, beautiful weather.
    Thanks to all that helped organize and to all the participants too!:)

26. Did anyone get any shots or. Video of the burn out

27. vegaracechic24

vegaracechic24
    from Winder,Ga

Ironside racing has some great pictures!

28. Thank you I will check them out

29. Firepower71

Firepower71
    from Atlanta

thanks Tony.
    Brad were you in the truck doing the burnout? i don't have anything good of that, but here are a few others.

Attached Files:

30. D.R.Smith

D.R.Smith

Great show with fast pace on strip , until time for eliminations . It seemed like we sat for a long time with no action . Finally left about three pm . We thought there must be a problem between racers and management . Next year I am sure it will go better . All in all a very good show and will be looking for next years event .

Attached Files: