Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Bought a -53 Stude, school me!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SwedeVedette, Sep 29, 2013.

1. SwedeVedette

SwedeVedette

Bought a Studebaker Commander 1953 that will be a mild custom soon but first Ill have to tackle brakes and rust..

My questions are what engine is this? How much power does it put out? Where to get parts? What else in general is good to know about it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

looks like a 54 to me, Thats a Stude v8, I believe its a 232, but 259s and 289s look the same

3. SwedeVedette

SwedeVedette

Whats different between -53 and -54?

4. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

'53 grille has floating horizontal bars, no vertical teeth. could've had a grille change.

5. Rindy

Rindy
    from 43351

Looks like a '54 to me too. Mohr is correct about the grille bars, that's the easiest way to tell a '53 from a '54.
    Check out the Studebaker Drivers' Club... You should be able to get lots of info & questions answered there.
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum.php

6. stude54

stude54
    from michigan

The best advice you can get, so come over and join us on the SDC Forum.

On the drivers door post you will find a tag with the VIN. Use that number when you post. JSYN, Studebaker used the letter I for a one. The VIN should be a Letter followed by six or so numbers.

There should also be a tag on the passengers side firewall with a set of letters and numbers. This will give the year and model to the forum guys.

Bob

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

54 Studebaker Commander V8, their lowest priced V8 model (Champion had a 6, the Land Cruiser was fancier and had the same V8).

232 cubic inches, 127 horsepower, 7.5:1 compression. For their time they were a hot performer but soon got overshadowed by bigger more powerful engines in the late 50s.

The Stude V8 has the reputation for being an exceptionally tough, rugged and long living engine. The one thing I have heard is they have a name for developing a leaky rear main seal after long service. Other than that, they are a good engine.

Another feature is solid valve lifters. They never develop worn or sticky, clacky lifters. The valve mechanism will remain silent for the life of the car as long as you adjust the valves every 20,000 or 30,000 miles.

What transmission? They came with a manual 3 speed, 3 speed + overdrive or auto trans. The auto trans was made by Borg Warner and used by different companies in the US and Europe. Volvo used the Borg Warner T35 auto trans from 1964 to 1976. They were used by Jaguar, Austin and other English auto makers as well. Not hard to repair and parts are available. Manual trans also by Warner and pretty trouble free.

The whole car is pretty solid. The bodies were known for rusting out so you need to look the floors over carefully. But mechanically they were well made, simple and long lived.

You should go over it carefully, change the oil in the engine, trans, rear axle, steering and grease the chassis before you put it back in service.

Engine will run happily on 75 octane gas. In other words, the cheapest regular gas is what it likes. They were known for being economical on gas especially for a V8 car. They often won economy competitions. Expect 25MPG on hiway trips.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If everything is in good shape you should have no trouble keeping up with traffic. Engine 3.8 liter, 127HP. Top speed 150Km Hr. Will cruise at 100 - 110 Km hr. 0 - 100Km hr in 12 seconds.

They had a European flair to their styling that was a little too avante garde for American taste. Wonder how they looked in Europe in 1954?

In 54 they made 13,000 Commander V8 sedans and station wagons, 11,000 Commander coupes, and 6,000 Land Cruiser sedans, or 30,000 V8 cars in all.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  9. Looks like a 54 Grill. HRP

10. rickhmn

rickhmn
    from minnesota

I will agree with everything you have been told so far. I have a 62 lark that turned out great and was very simple and easy to work on. I have a picture of it that I just posted today in "lets see 4dr rods"..
    I kinda like the fact that it's a 4 dr and the least desirable of studes cause I don't feel the least bit bad about doing anything I want.
    I have changed the engine out for a chev cause it was a six. The stude engines are a good engine and the T35 was solid but both are known for being very heavy. I swapped in the chev and a turbo 350 and shaved 20 lbs off the front. I think a 232 to 350/350 would be more like 100 lbs. I also put in a disk brake conversion kit which went very easy and smooth and used a ford explorer 8.8 rear.
    I also agree the the guys on the SDC forum where very helpful and supportive though some were horrified at the idea of a chev is a stude. If you do decide to go that route it's really a simple swap and there are tons of threads that give good guidance.
    NICE CAR! it's a great place to start and you will be in the "dare to be different crowd at most any show.

11. rickhmn

rickhmn
    from minnesota

sorry I was on two forums at once. The pic of the stude is on KillBillet.

12. wishihad147

wishihad147
    from delaware

Wow great taste! Not too often you see these older 4 doors. I have one that's pretty close to being on the road. Was planning the same mild custom look as well. I refreshed the 232 in mine with some new bearings and a used crank. Seems to run pretty good so far. Good luck!

13. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Swede -

Yep...agree with most already stated (1954 sedan, 232, possibly a 259).

I also have a 54, 4dr. I bought it as a running parts car for my 54 Conestoga (2dr. wagon). The sedan uses the same sheet metal as the wagon, and since this wagon is going to be a daily driver, I wanted spare parts...just in case.
    Though my 4dr. is an I-6 (flathead), I drive it all over town...though it's not currently fit for the freeway (bad shocks, three different brands of tires, etc.), they were originally built to...drive..!

Have fun with your new car.

Mike