Register now to get rid of these ads!

GM reman alternator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 325w, Sep 27, 2013.

1. I wired a 55 Pontiac for an older gentleman. He had bought a GM crate motor complete with the alternator Carb the whole thing. We started having battery drain issues. Dumb me thinking the alternator is new rebuild looks other places for problem. Today I look to the alternator. Remove it take it to my friends shop. It don't even try to put out anything. Dead as a hammer. So we get a rebuilt from Bob and all is well. Seems this is very common.ni hope I posted this in the right slot.

2. fsae0607

fsae0607

That's why I run a generator! :D

Haha all kidding aside yeah it's usually the simple things. Always check the simple stuff first before you dive into a problem. Most of the time it's usually something simple causing the problem.

3. waterhorse

waterhorse

I installed 2 reman alts from Oreilly and they both had so much vibration that they would break the mounting bolts within 15 miles of driving. Both of these had asymetrical cooling fans on the front that I have never seen before. Went to Napa for a replacement and all is well.

4. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

I get bad parts off the shelf from time to time, these things happen! Especially when you consider how many of these are being remanufactured a bad one is bound to slip through the cracks every once in a while.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. ........I agree that some slip through now and then, but don't they bench test these things before they package and ship? Seems there's really no quality control anywhere anymore.

6. waterhorse

waterhorse

I had 2 identical bad alts back to back with the same vibration. I tend to think it was the goofy asymetrical cooling fan design.

7. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

If a manufacturer only makes one bad part ever, I'll be the guy that gets it. I once got 3 bad master cylinders for an ot truck. The original mc worked but leaked. After the first two didn't work, I put the original back on and it worked so I tried 2 more and the 4th one finally worked.

8. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

my local guy was a pure con man eventually cured with a kick up the hole when he had his head under a fork lift.gave him a sore hole and a big bump in his head.use a different guy now knows his stuff. ha ha