Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Gmc blowers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by coopsdaddy, Sep 1, 2012.

1. powrshftr

powrshftr

I agree man.....they look better to me if they are all business and kinda nasty lookin'.
    Also,thanks for the injection stuff.It arrived at my shipping place,but Im still up north and can't pick it up yet...

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Why does everybody stay away from the 8-71's? I seen one at a swap meet and nobody bought it.:( Doesn't anyone build bearing kits for them? Maybe i'm thinking of the 8v-71. Also I think Crietz made manifolds with an indent in them so you didn't need to mill off the hanging tabs.

3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here is an Ed Pink "Mag" 6, We ran on this 336 incher.

Attached Files:

1947knuck and Deuces like this.
  4. powrshftr

powrshftr

Gary:
    What is that scoop you're running...?

That looks absolutely KILLER!!!

5. Because they are newer, and aftermarket, were not a GMC blower. There was no GMC 8-71 engine. The 8V-71 is way newer, looks nothing like the classic 3-71/4-71/6-71.

6. stimpy

stimpy

8 series blowers were the 92 series and larger and a v style only , Detroit made no straight eights in diesels anything bigger than a 6 cylinder ( which was a v or straight ) was a v -series engine ( 92,110,149 ) the v series is good only to about 10 psi after that it can lift and blow out the gaskets or come undone off the manifold ( pull studs or walk around ) .as a normal Detroit doesn't develop any pressure as its used for scavanging the exhaust cycle only not to provide boost .for boost we used turbos over the blower and sometimes would make you pull your hair out of your head replacing gaskets or studs .even thought it was a small ammount of pressure extra

7. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Detroit did make an 8v-71 with a single blower. But as already stated, it was a V configuration and did not lend itself well to being mounted on a gas V8 engine. 8-71 and larger blowers are all aftermarket. Larger 12, 16, and 20 cylinder 71 series Detroits all ran multiple blowers.

8v-71
    [​IMG]

16v-71
    [​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  8. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Here is what's gonna be in my Willys pickup 283 with a cragar 4-71 intake a Tom Beatty v-belt drive its not complete yet but I'm workin on it

[​IMG]

Chrome don't get ya home

9. powrshftr

powrshftr

That looks sooooooooo badass!!!!

Deuces likes this.
  10. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Well if ya think that is kool check out the whole truck

[​IMG]

Chrome don't get ya home

Deuces likes this.
  11. powrshftr

powrshftr

You could cut glass with my nipples right now.......lol!

Deuces likes this.
  12. powrshftr

powrshftr

The truck is even cooler than the motor!!!!!!!

Deuces likes this.
  13. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Eh I try lol it's not period perfect but it's the best I can do with my small budget the rear suspension is quarterleafs with 64 Chevy truck bars and a frankland quickchange it has a t-10 4 spd ansen pedals and it will have a set of mag halibrands I have built everything on it even the front axle plans are to run a 6-71 blown 409 w motor in it with a 4 port hilborn injector eventually gotta keep saving my nickels and dimes maybe someday it will rate up there with kiwi Kevin's nasty habit coupe

Chrome don't get ya home

Deuces likes this.
  14. powrshftr

powrshftr

Do you know any of its race history?It looks like it had notches cut for tow bar clearance.

15. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

There is no history yet lol I bought the truck ten years ago it was just a cab and frame and have been gathering parts since the area you are talking about is where the bumper brackets came through and I do plan on putting the tow bar brackets there I will probly flat tow it to the drags like I have all the rest of my cars this is what I will probly tow it with it's has a hilborn injected 4-71 on a 6 cyl chevy and has been run at the hamb drags many times

[​IMG]

Chrome don't get ya home

16. stimpy

stimpy

forgot about the v8-71s as they weren't as common as the 6 or 8-92 's in our industry ( heavy marine and trucks )

17. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Here's my setup I'm working on,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

18. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

How about a sweet little 471 on a flathead with dual carbs...this one's in my 31 sedan.

Attached Files:

19. Here's mine, GMC 4-71 on top of '65 327 in me '27 T Tudor....

Attached Files:

20. 1952henry

1952henry

21. I've always been told running blocks on a front axle is a safety no-no. :confused:

22. VERY cool Randy!!! I wouldn't expect any less from you. :)

23. I brought that up a while back, apparently that is only true on 4x4s. It would look better more level, and with some paint. Rust sucks!

Deuces likes this.
  24. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

Cool set up did you create it or buy it. I see an isky idler bracket.

25. powrshftr

powrshftr

Just found this one:
    Buick powered Buick Funnycar with what appears to me to be an 8V-71 ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380468249.112260.jpg

26. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Well here is some more info for you guys that don't understand number one this truck is nowhere done I have only been working on it for a few weeks it has taken me ten years of saving every nickle dime and penny to even be able to get started on it not to mention finding some of the parts is not easy is it perfect no but it's mine and I have the choice to do what ever I want with the budget I have so as far as the rust is concerned it will be painted what color I'm not sure yet but it will be nice and the axle blocks everyone on the hamb has been blowing up about have been used very successfully for many many years I personally have run them on many of my cars and have never ever had any issue I drive my cars many many miles my model T coupe that is pictured in an earlier post has over 180000 miles on it it's been drag raced countless times same deal for my afx dodge dart I drive em hard that's what they are for and as far as the stance goes I do agree it is a bit high in the front and it will be lowered some but I do like the high altitude stance anyways I just had to get this off my chest this is why I have not started a build thread on it because of this type of crap hell I should have never even posted a pic but I thought we were all grown up enough to see its a work in progress not a race ready gasser and lastly I am absolutely positively 100% for constructive criticism and yes I can and will accept it but please give your thoughts in a constructive non-hateful manner Richard I am not singling you out here this message is for the entire hamb board you just got lucky and your post just plum pissed me off I have nothing against you personally whatsoever I've just had all I could take so I am gonna spell this rant out in plain terms for those who don't understand what I am getting at here if you have a issue with someones build by all means please inform them of the problem you see if you want to be nasty about it use a pm but if its in a constructive nature please post it in the board for others to relate to now let's get back to the topic at hand and learn something useful from each other

Chrome don't get ya home

27. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

That my friends is awesome talk about ingenuity

Chrome don't get ya home

28. powrshftr

powrshftr

Took some real balls to step outside the box and build that,didn't it?I mean,if it was a sportsman level,backyard built weekend warrior,that would be one thing,but these guys were swimming upstream in a river full of sharks.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380468842.889389.jpg
    Ps:Liked your post about the blocks and the chirping....:)

Deuces likes this.
  29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Well I for one think your Willys PU is fantastic! And I'm jealous as heck of what you've got started there! Can't wait to see it progress from here!