Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Looking for a Gasser

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Madnomad, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Trying to find if this car still exists. The '57 Gasser was owned by Jeff Zanger & Bob Stark in the 70's. This picture is from around 1972. They bought it from a guy named Fred or Greg Gagnon. Had engine set back, straight axle, 57 Olds rear, 4 speed with Beiber shifter, tilt glass front end, all aluminum interior. The car ran at Pomona, Lions and OCIR.. It was last seen at the street races in the San Fernando Valley around 1980..

Attached Files:

• DA57.jpg
      DA57.jpg
      File size:
      482.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  2. Reminds me of this one. I first saw it at an "Irwindale Reunion" at OCIR around '82 and it had faded old Irwindale stickers on the wing windows. It was very clean, and had a cable drive tach mounted on to of the dash in a polished aluminum plate with black fender edging around it, and had the oil psi guage on one side, and the water temp on the other side of the tach, also in the plate. Pretty sure it had a manual trans, I believe it was Doug Nash. Seen it a few times since. It has that same nose down stance as the red one in your pick. 2048498384_52b9feaa70.jpg Anyone recognize/know the car, or its owner? We gotta keep the HAMB tradition and find a long lost car within hours.

PS. Pretty sure this pic was taken at one of the twilight cruises at the NHRA Museum in Pomona.

3. I really cant remember, but I wan't to say that white '57 had a dropped tube axle, and in this pic, you really can't make out the lower control arms..,so?

4. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

The rear wheel wells in your picture look like they're cut too high to be the same car.:(

5. I saw that too, but maybe they got trimmed a little higher when the car was painted white. As far as I know that white paint is nearly 40 years old. They are both 210's with the nose down..,?

6. The dash had a tach mounted on it and where the stock gauges had been it was replaced with a dark blue glass. Bob Stark used to tell us the front suspension was the same as an earkly Funny Car. I don't really know about that. This is a car I first started drooling over when I was 14..It was definitely a straight axle and i know from talking to Bob's brother, Dean, that it had Koni shocks on the front. Also on the front fender in gold leaf it said"Z28" as the previous Gagnon had run a 302 in it..
    I could have bought this for $1100.00 in 1978...The stupidity of youth...

7. Nobody's seen this car?

8. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

You might want to try gasserhotrods.com

9. oldolds

oldolds

$1000 in 1978 was a LOT of money. The average tri5 Chevy driving on the street with a hot v-8 and mag wheels could be had for about $500. My next door neighbor bought his for $350 only because he got out earlier from school then me that day!

10. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i don't know, in 78' i bought a 56 ford f100 short bed for 900.00, stock Y block,paint. i was pretty broke in the 70's.

11. Not in my neck of the woods. A decent Tri-5 was always 700-1000.00. They paid $700.00 for the '57 in 1972 less eng/trans.

12. brandon

brandon

that white five seven is bad ass

13. They're both badass 57's but I have to say, the radius job on the red one is one of the best I've ever seen. Chevy should have done them that way from the factory. Good luck in your search, hope you find it.

14. Anyone? Bueller?