Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest 1938-1939 Ford Truck Club!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squigy, May 12, 2010.

1. fastmetals

fastmetals

Sweet Truck!!!!!

2. Sanch 39

Sanch 39
    from Sacto

Still new here, but I'm in! just picked up a 38-39 farm truck in rough shape but i love it! Will need parts for sure, and to pick a few brains! I just revived a 39 Oldsmobile, so time to move onto my dream car. Here it is.

Attached Files:

• Murr.jpg
      Murr.jpg
      File size:
      246.7 KB
      Views:
  3. Great project and welcome .

4. It's a '39. Has a '39 grille and hood ornament. Being a '39 it should have: hydraulic brakes, no hole in middle of dash for ashtray, windshield regulator has a round knob up on top of upper dash panel, gauge faces are a chocolate milk color, and stamped steel inside door panels instead of laminated cardboard used on '38.

5. donbe

donbe

There sure is a lot of great information and knowledgeable people here. I have learned a lot about mt truck here.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Randy1944 likes this.
  6. mmills

mmills

I need some help. I have a friend who gave me a 38 & 39 ford truck Cabs. Pretty much it is from the back of the cab forward to the bumper that I have. The Farmer he bought them from told him he had to take both trucks. He bought them because he wanted the 1 bed that was on the trucks. Now he is just looking to clean out his barn. I was looking at doing a project with my boys. They are young but eager. One is 9 and the other is 5 and almost every day since we got the trucks they want to go out and work on taking them apart. We have only had them for 3 days now. Well here in SD they can technically have their drivers license when they are 15. So we have a little time to get one done.

Out of the 2 cabs I can probably have enough to make 1 good truck and then 1 Funky Rat Rod with the other. I am going to put the good one on an s10/sonoma Chassis.

Which one would be the better choice of a truck to do. The 39 cab maybe a little tinny better condition, but not much to really make a difference. The front fenders are hammered on the 39. I am not looking to do a original Factory restoration type truck hence the donor frame, but a nice looking truck for sure

Any Suggestions. Is one more rare than another?

7. unibody madness

unibody madness

Future project given to me

Truck in a box

[​IMG]

Found a frame for it, gonna need some things, like bed and proper running boards
    lots of extra parts to go with it, when I start to figure it all out.

8. whiskeyding

whiskeyding

Hello ill join. Just started mine.pics to come. Have wrong rear fenders so it makes me wonder if the bed is right. I have a 39, where can I get inside dimensions. Also has a metal floor. Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my C771 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. donbe

donbe

Check out rasloto.com the 1938 ford pick up project site. Some good facts and information.

10. whiskeyding

whiskeyding

Thanks, went onto northernclassic truck website. Figured it out I have a 42-47 bed. Sucks so I'll be looking to trade. 38-41have three x members and the front one is wood. On mine all four are metal

11. krobert56

krobert56

12. eli trigas

eli trigas
    from duluth

Im in

Attached Files:

13. Marty39

Marty39
    from Oklahoma

Hey, I'll throw my hat into the club! I bought a 39 pickup on Oct 7th and am having a shop built to park it in and tinker on. As soon as they are done with the shop, my dad and I will be getting serious! We don't know a whole lot about these trucks, but we are looking to learn. I'm hoping to keep the body and interior as close to original as possible. It doesn't have a motor or transmission with it, but I'm leaning toward going with a 302.

I suppose the first question I have, is about the rear passenger fender. On all the pictures that I've seen of these trucks, there is an indentation on the fender to make room for the spare tire. My rear fender doesn't have that indentation. Did the produce some trucks without the spare tire, or do I have a fender off of something else?

It looks like this party has been going on for quite some time! I'll do some karaoke and drink a little whisky, so lets party.

14. If your right rear fender does not have the spare tire dimple, it's a '42-'47 fender. The '42-'47 fender is also different where it bolts up to the running board.

15. rowdyauto

rowdyauto

Hey guys going to look at a 39 pickup tomorrow and am trying to see if this truck is what they say or something a farmer did on his own.The truck is a half ton with short bed and a tool box in between the bed and cab that is the same width and height of the bed. Looks to have 1-ton rear hubs and 17 inch split rims.The seller is telling me its called a ranch version and was only made in 38 and 39.I know, i have no pics to show you but just thought someone may have run across this.I personally thank its a homemade version. If i end up with it I will post some pics.Thanks

16. Marty39

Marty39
    from Oklahoma

Well thats disappointing. Thank you very much for the info. Guess I'll be looking for a passenger side rear fender.

17. ravinflaniac

ravinflaniac

Oh yeah; a club for people with trucks they don't make anymore & parts made from "unobtanium". Count me in.

I just got my 39 pickup home, mostly complete less radiator & the wrong bed(42-47).
    Anybody got experience chopping a late bed to 38-41 dimensions I'm all ears. I have a pretty good idea how to tackle that but I will defer to the voice of experience.
    Also in need of a 39 rad or just tanks and side channels I can recore.
    Aftermarket options don't look to promising but if you know of a good supplier I would look at that option.

18. There is 3" difference in the beds. '38-'41 bed is 46" inside width, '42-'47 bed is 49". Ford widened the beds because more building materials were being made in 4'x8' sheets, and people wanted a bed wide enough for a sheet of plywood to lay flat with the tailgate down. The bed sides are the same stamping from '38 through late '50, but fender bolt holes are not in the same place. The change from the raised panel bed sides to the flat '51-'52 style was made late in the '50 model run.

19. krobert56

krobert56

20. krobert56

krobert56

A new one for the album! 2 ea - 1/2 ton seat risers 1 in cab express pickup gas tank and an old electrical equipment cabinet = sweet in bed #2 fuel tank/storage -- yup a dual tank 39 ford [​IMG]

21. drppdyllwrngr

drppdyllwrngr

Guys, I need help. Trying to verify the serial number on the frame to the title I have. AFAIK, i have 39 truck. it was either 3/4 or 1 ton. it came with no bed. fuel tank was under the seat, the filler neck in the cab corner. pretty sure it had leaf springs, but they could be added on. and the front aprons were not cut out for the frame. so I need to know if any of you out there have found the serial number on your trucks. i have looked on the top rear of the frame, top center of the frame with no luck.

also, does this frame look correct? i think it's a 122" wheel base. i know this isn't a light truck frame.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

most of the other 1 ton+ trucks have a straight frame, no raise in it.

22. krobert56

krobert56

same as the express truck frame in my back yard

The "Express Pickup" was a new model for Ford for 1938. It was part of their new "One Tonner" line. It sold new for $730. The pickup box was larger (96 L X 54 W X 22.2 D) than that of the half ton models (77.7 L X 46 W X 20.2 D). It also has a beefier chassis and a larger radiator than the half ton.

23. drppdyllwrngr

drppdyllwrngr

Have you ever looked for or found the serial number?

24. The serial number is stamped on top of the left frame rail anywhere between front crossmember and firewall, usually beside thd steering box mount. If it had the 85 hp engine, serial number will start with BB18-; BB54- if it had the 60 hp engine. If you have the original trans, the same number will be on the bell above the clutch inspection window.

25. drppdyllwrngr

drppdyllwrngr

Checked it front to rear. Cannot find any signs. Do not know where the axle cross member was as it has a mustang 2 front suspension setup, nor where the steering box was. motor and trans were gone before we ever got the truck

26. krobert56

krobert56

frame and cab might match -- front sheet metal is half ton

27. drppdyllwrngr

drppdyllwrngr

Yep. Front fenders were chicken wire and bondo. We found a good front clip. Sold the good, grill, abd side panels not long ago on eBay. Still have the lower aprons.

28. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

no wonder u cant find it .if u had mentioned the mustang 2 we would have told u it is now under your shock hat . the mustang front end covers it up .

29. kirbyalaska

kirbyalaska
    from SUX

I got the inner door bottoms at northern classic trucks. They seem to be pretty nice and $75 pr.

http://www.northernclassictrucks.com/3847IDB .htm

They also have the outer bottoms for $80 pr. For whatever reason I chose to go with the ones from Mac's as I had a large order there already. They were cheaper I think and they are not worth it. The metal seems about 1/2 as thick as the original and it is testing my patience to get them on and looking good. The cut outs for the hinges look like they were done with tin snips. I would like to think the ones from northern classic would be as nice as the inners, but I don't know.

Out of curiosity, what do you want for the front fenders from your's? I have a set but they need a lot of metal work and rust removal. What shape are your's in? I would also have to figure shipping cost to 51106.

30. Maybe's rod shop

Maybe's rod shop

Any thoughts on putting a '38 Ford pickup on a s10 frame. The fab part doesnt bother me . Im wondering about the vin#.. Its on the frame of the '38. Do they put vin #'s on the cab ? If anyone has put one on a s10 chassis please give me your thoughts in all aspects. Thanks