Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Candy, Lace, Flake, Flames... wanna see WILD custom paint...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Apr 13, 2008.

1. elspock84

elspock84
    from waukegan

few snack tables i did last week.

[​IMG]

2. Cragar

Cragar

I love this thread it is the best you guys are the best form of inspiration I have done a bit of this sort of stuff in the past and it make me want to do it again thanks

3. No surprises there! I've gotta agree too.

Sooooo..... How's the Rivi going Craig?

4. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

:cool:Right on! Seriously thinking about laying some patterns on my roof. I might want to get in touch with him when he heads back this way.:cool:

5. VintageConcepts

VintageConcepts

elspock84 That's some real sweet work you do there.

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dealing with an anomaly very similar right now. All the same base, clear, same drying time on everything, low film build. The clear stayed soft on several parts, got hard on others, even cured in the cup overnight. Days went by, lots of heat, nothing made it harden up. 1st thought, not enough catalyst, right? Wrong. Why did some parts get hard as a rock? Why did it kick in the cup? Mixed up a few oz of clear/catalyst in a 50/50 mix, then about 150% reducer. Sprayed it over the offending soft parts and let em sit overnight again. Hard as a rock now, and all the way through to the base. Now that thin fucked up layer wants to lift. My whole take on this is the temps dropped as I was going along, add to that excess humidity. The thin 1st coat didn't "kick" because there was not enough VOLUME of material on those panels and they were cool enough to slow the reaction...permanently. The catalyst 'mist' I applied simply made it hard enough to sand off easily, so now I have that to face before picking up where it left off. I've been consumed with this for more than 5 12hr sessions and I'm going to walk away from it for a couple days.

As custom painters we often bend or break the rules. Usually when we do it all comes out exceptional. Then there's times we follow all the rules, directions, established protocols, give all the love and effort we can, then it turns around and shoves a roll of sandpaper up your ass! All of this material is subject to failures, some fatal (complete redo) some just more aggravating than anything. 1oz too much or too little will either make or break the gig. The other major enemy is the base coat and reducers required. I'm probably at the point where I'll start using a drop of catalyst in the base from now on. I was advised by a PPG tech that an oz added to 1qt of ready to spray base will prevent undue crazing for repairs and multi layers. He recommended DX57 (?) or 50-something designed for a direct gloss material. I usually have no issues but now n then they show up like that loser you know always beggin for attention or $$$. Sometimes I truly hate this shit...

7. elspock84

elspock84
    from waukegan

8. VintageConcepts

VintageConcepts

Yeah, you'll see me riding in my 54 around. This thread is full of creativity…thanx for contributing.

9. Some things I just did for a little local art show. Sportster tank and another skateboard.

Attached Files:

10. 56gasser

56gasser
    from lower al.

Can someone show me whiteflake over a white base looking for ideas!!

Thanks

11. Never seen a white flake before. The closest being abalone which usually has a pink and gold tone to it. Over white I usually use either a clear flake, white ice pearl or a crushed glass to keep it as white as possible.

12. CARLOS8A

CARLOS8A
    from waukegan

image.jpg

Here is the roof on my 64 Pontiac 😎

13. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

Abalone over white, it's subtle but in the sunlight it pops.

Attached Files:

14. Go to a Ford dealer and check out the White Platinum paint on a Fusion. I dislike white as a car color, but I like White Platinum.

15. VintageConcepts

VintageConcepts

Flames I did about a year ago. Played with some kandy colors but picture turned out kinda bad
    image.jpg

16. Snake hit

Snake hit
    from calif. LA

Had another set of Harley fatbob tanks painted, was looking for a change from the original 1995 FLSTN special look, so had the same colors left over from my Riviera build. Went with the same colors and pinstripping so wouldnt have to change the fenders. The look I was going for was the 1965 style FLH Electra Glide. had them painted cleared blocked striped and re cleared then buffed and added 1965 badges, looks alot better and the retro look I was after. Now for the headlight nacelle and Electra Glide fender script.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. Flootiebuell

Flootiebuell

First attempt......

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

18. chris98006

chris98006
    from Seattle WA

I like it! Love the way you did the lines.

19. ugotd8

ugotd8
    from Denver

20. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

These pictures are from my stepfather when he stopped by Kelsey Martins shop to check out some bikes he was building.

Attached Files:

21. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

a pedal car that my stepfather and his fiend Dave hussen painted

Attached Files:

22. Speedchop

Speedchop
    from Sweden

Really cool thread! I'm about to do some dirty-work in the garage so it's truly inspiring.. I've almost browsed through the whole thread in one go! Keep 'em coming!

Speedy

23. elspock84

elspock84
    from waukegan

what ive been working on the last few weeks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Does anyone know if there is a abalone that gives off more of a blueish hue rather then this green?

25. BarryA

BarryA

Attached Files:

26. Louie S.

Louie S.

Does anyone know of a place to get a color called pineapple pearl? My dad had a car in 53 painted this color and I would like to find it. I have searched the net with no luck.

27. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

28. Louie S.

Louie S.

That's the color, just can't find one out there, thought maybe someone would remember a color code or name from back in the day.

29. slammed

slammed

30. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

The talent on this thread is unreal!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!