Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Right stuff vs. Rtv gasket makers.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Foulkkustoms, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Foulkkustoms

Foulkkustoms
    from Arkansas

I'm tired of my transmission leaking I'm looking into two diff, gasket makers right stuff or rtv gasket maker? Snitch one is good or are both good?

2. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

right stuff every time

3. Foulkkustoms

Foulkkustoms
    from Arkansas

How to apply?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

right stuff is the only thing i use .rtv is junk .make sure everything is dry and lay a bead and let it sit overnight without fluid for best results

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Permatex named that one correctly, it is "The Right Stuff." We have sealed leaks in mismatched machined surfaces that nothing else would seal. We have even forgotten a gasket and it still did a great job.

Good stuff.

Don

Model T1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. I've got Right Stuff on my differential and trans pan. No leaks for over a year of daily driving, now. And it wasn't allowed to dry, just a regular service, drain and fill.
    1961 Falcon

Cosmo

7. Foulkkustoms

Foulkkustoms
    from Arkansas

So let me get this straight dry pan, bead around pan, and put on transmission, tighten up bolts with no fluid?

Model T1 likes this.
  8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

9. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

Yep, just buy the calking tube of it. Keep it in the refrigerator between uses so it stays good.

I had terrible luck with the little pressurized can.

Model T1 likes this.
  10. fsae0607

fsae0607

I've used the Right Stuff on my 61 when gaskets weren't available for the jimmy 6. For sh1ts and giggles I made my own gaskets out of bulk gasket material and used Right Stuff on top of it. Not one leak.

Also works good as an emergency adhesive. I've repaired cheap work shoes by bonding the sole back on!

Model T1 likes this.
  11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

If used correctly, RTV is great stuff. As with most sealants, both surfaces need to be cleaned well. Don't over torque the bolts. A lot of leaks can be traced to using gorilla strength to tighten transmission pan bolts.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

I don't buy anything but Right Stuff anymore.

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I have to admit, they could improve that "Cheez Whiz" dispenser a little. It takes some effort to get it to dispense correctly. I will have to try the cartridge tube.

Don

14. I keep hearing good things about Right Stuff from friends and on the HAMB. I guess I'd better give it a try and find out for myself.

Ryan72 likes this.
  15. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

At work we use the big caulking tubes of Right Stuff for sealing up trans pans and diff covers. If the customer is in a hurry or if it is cold outside, once we get the pan bolted back up I will take the torch and gently warm up the pan rail to kinda "force dry" it. Never had a leak. Most newer MoPar products have the tranny pan siliconed from the factory, no gaskets at all! I have used RTV in all different colors, always had issues with leaks. I only use the Black or Grey Right Stuff.

Model T1 likes this.
  16. Okay, so if you had a trans gasket would you use it with right stuff or just bail the gasket and use right stuff?

17. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

Probably toss the gasket. I know on intake manifolds, I just toss the stupid end sections and just use a nice bead of right stuff instead. Sure had better luck ever since going that route.

I have also used it as an adhesive. I used it to mount the old little glass reflectors on the back our lil coupe in the old spare tire mount holes.

[​IMG]

Model T1 likes this.
  18. X-Farmboy

X-Farmboy

I always had problems with RTV until I read the instructions. Now I let it set-up for an hour before I bolt it up, don't have leaks anymore! The Right Stuff is killer, but can be difficult to disassemble the next time.

Model T1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

It depends on what the gasket is made of...cork or rubber, yeah toss them into the woods. If is a really nice steel/rubber gasket I will always reuse those with just a thin little skim coat of right stuff to help with adhesion/sealing. When making a trans pan or diff cover gasket with Right Stuff I like to use a nice 1/4-3/8 bead all the way around, then using my finger I will smear it around the bolt holes. Once I get the pan back up I will first finger tighten the bolts, then go back around with my ratchet and progressively snug them until my calibrated hand tells me its enough torque. You can either wipe off what squeezes out or just leave it....whos gonna be checkin your trans pan out anyways?

Model T1 likes this.
  20. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

Same here, used Right Stuff on the rear diff cover 3 or 4 years ago on my F150 and no leakes yet.

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Tfeverfred's product review:

Bowing down to internet buzz, I ventured into my local O'Reilly's yesterday for some "Right Stuff" gasket sealer. First off, they had it on the lowest shelf and I almost missed it. Then, I saw the price. It was $8 more than a comparable size of black Permatex. I noticed it's aerosol, so I'm paying a little more for the gas, I guess. Being closer to the floor, it didn't hurt as much, when I fainted during price shock.

After following the instructions, I was some what pleased at the way it's dispensed. Although it took a little while to get used to not squeezing a tube. I used it on the valve covers of my new engine, so it'll be a while before I know how much better it is. A real test would be on something like an oil pan, but we had already installed it.

All in all, it seems like a good sealer. My main complaint might be how much is left in the can, after the gas is gone.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    Model T1 likes this.
  22. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Fred , you've got how much wrapped up in a new motor & you're whinin' about $10 or so bucks for THE BEST gasket maker ??? SHEEEESH!

dave

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's why I have that extra money to spend. I count my pennies. And I don't know it's the best, yet. That 3oz. can was $16 here.

slack and Model T1 like this.
  24. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

Right stuff works good...
    Fixes u joints and bushings too...
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380923301.448531.jpg
    Or at least this customer thought it would...

Hnstray, Truck64 and falcongeorge like this.
  25. R Pope

R Pope

Right Stuff is the best! I have trouble getting it here, though. The aerosol is OK if you use it all up at once, the pressure goes away in a while once its opened.

26. Yup ,right stuff hands down

27. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Right Stuff is great for galley ends on intakes - throw out the old skool gaskets they give you. Also on the 472 Cad in my COE, I replaced the timing chain without dropping the pan. Used right stuff instead of the front seal at the timing cover and oil pan.

Having a heck of a time sealing a new B&M aluminum turbo 400 pan - you would think that would be a no brainer. Going to try Right Stuff with a gasket next time. Right now have Loctite anaerobic sealant on there with no gasket - darn near sealed - maybe it's just too close somewhere and most of the sealant squeezed out. Even tried the Moroso 93103 Transmission Pan Gasket torqued to spec.

28. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I have the caulking tube of it and it's definitely easier to control the bead size. The caulk gun got to the end of its travel so I took my Leatherman, cut the tube opened and voila...there was enough in there to do a 6 cyl. valve cover, oil pan and timing cover and there's still some left over. Now the problem is keeping it from curing since the tubes cut wide opened. I also found that once it's on and the parts in place, you can't move it at all to make any adjustments or it'll leak (Chev. 235 pushrod cover with distributor installed = impossible to get lined up perfectly right away while trying to hold it in place and get the world's smallest screws threaded in at the world's worst angle). It's designed for immediate use too which is perfect for those of us using it on their daily driver.

Model T1 likes this.
  29. I used Right Stuff to seal my intake manifold, worked great. I also used it to seal some gaps in grommets where tubeing or wires went thru the firewall when I installed my Vintage Air.

30. Were is the best place to buy the Right Stuff you speak of??