Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 8BA flattie oil canister top bolt

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 56shoebox, Sep 26, 2013.

1. 56shoebox

56shoebox

On the remote oil canister of a 1960 Flathead is there supposed to be a rubber washer between the top and bolt?

Also, how does the oil get back to the pan with that bolt threaded into the top of the return pipe?

2. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

ford did not make a flathead in 1960...

3. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I'm gonna assume he means 1950... There is a rubber/fiber washer under the bolt head and the return line comes out the bottom of the canister and threads into the side of the block near the oil pan on the driver's side.

4. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Thanks for pointing out the obvious typo fiddyfour.

Thx thunder, but how does the oil get into the pipe that connects to the bottom drain that drains back to the side of the block near the oil pan? There's a bolt screwed into the top of the pipe. I don't get it.

5. How about a photo?

6. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Not from me. I am photo upload challenged.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Look closely at the vertical pipe...it has tiny holes in it that are the actual restrictors on oil going through the partial flow filter. Another restrictor in a fitting limits oil going in, so that the canister is not running at full system pressure that would blow out the lid gasket.

8. J2X

J2X

Stiff opaque/grey white plastic washer under bolt head or it will leak from under bolt head and, of course, the black rubber gasket under cover edge - J2X

9. Ole don

Ole don

Oh, my goodness. The picture of that Allard is making me drool all over my keyboard!
    J2X, please tell us about it.

10. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Bruce. Thanks. I see the two small holes now.

J2X. Thanks. Last night, at Sears Hdwe, I found rubber washers that seem to fit the bill. They had nylon washers, but they were not flexible like rubber.

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The oil comes in the outside of the filter, goes through the filter, and into the center pipe. Then it goes down and out the bottom back to the crankcase.

This way the dirt and sludge get trapped on the outside of the filter.

There needs to be a neoprene gasket between the lid and the filter body, and a washer between the bolt and the lid. This one needs to be stiff fiber, nylon, or reinforced rubber. You have to tighten it down quite tight to seal the lid and plain rubber is not tough enough.

When you buy a filter element it is supposed to come with a new washer and a gasket for the lid.

12. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

What Rusty said...... Eventually, all the oil finds it's way to, and thru the filter. Today's oils are better suited to this setup, due to the better quality.

Happy Roddin' 4TTRUK

13. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Im useing a copper washer, it doesnt leak so im sticking with it. Mine was an old chrome job and i think it filled the little holes. I could see them on my old one and couldnt force water or air through the ones on the chrome one. I used a right angle die grinder with a bur on it and cut a 1/8 or so inch hole into it. It seemed like a good idea and i figured the restrictor going in would be enough. It works or atleast i still have decent oil preasure. It might have lowered it though I never really thought to compare it.

14. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Junkyard,...As long as you didn't molest the restricter orifice in the side inlet port, you're good to go, and not have oil pressure problems.

4TTRUK

15. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

ive been going good for like two years now. I didnt know any better at the time.