Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 57 Lincoln hubcaps on 49 Lincoln???

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Eddie Rebel, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Eddie Rebel

Eddie Rebel

I want to spend some "newer" hubcaps from a 57 Lincoln to my 49 Lincoln, but I don´t know if it match.
    Are there any problems with it to put it on?
    Thank you.

[​IMG]

2. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran a set on my 50 Merc and Aaron ran them on his 56 Ford. I'm running an aftermarket
    wheel and Aarons was a stock Wheel. I'd say they will fit. They are real hard to put on.
    I've not hit another hubcap as hard, thank God for a rubber mallet. They are a tight fit
    and will not fly off. Happy Trails, Mick

3. gatz

gatz

Had (2) 56 Lincolns (use the same hub-caps) and they are definitely a tight fit. A rubber or soft composite hammer is a must. Make sure your tool kit includes something to take them off too. Maybe buy a cheap large screwdriver and heat/bend the end to get under the lip of the cap's flange.

I'll mention this; one of the wheels on the Lincoln kept throwing its hubcap. Lost one while going to a car show on a busy street and watched in the rear-view mirror with horror as a large truck ran over it. I seriously think the guy saw it and was aiming for it. Smooshed it, as my son would say.
    Fortunately, was able to get a replacement off ebay for not too much money.

Tried different things to keep the "new" one on; duct tape being one ..that didn't work very well and was a mess. When "tapping it on", the rim of the cap kept bouncing back off at the opposite side.......really frustrating.

Running out of ideas, I ended up changing the wheel/tire to the spare and for whatever reason, there was no longer a problem. Must've be something about the contour of that particular rim not being square enough to hold the cap's retaining feature....wasn't evident by eye. And who knows if it was an original to the Lincoln

gatz

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  4. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I had a '57 Lincoln in high school (see avatar) and the hubcaps are a really tight fit. I'm remembering something about trying to change a flat in the rain!

5. Eddie Rebel

Eddie Rebel

Thanx for your posts, but I didn't get it. :-(
    Looking for some others.....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  6. The Rocketeer

The Rocketeer

Hey Rebel ! Did you finally get a set for your lincoln ? I´m curious how they look on your car . Keep us updated and don´t forget to post a pic :)

7. sololobo

sololobo

coolest Lincoln cap on a cool Lincoln, winner winner chicken dinner! ~sololobo~

8. Mick any pics of them on your car?

9. those are going to look great!

10. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Merc with 57 Lincolns with a large bullet from Kool Rides.

[​IMG]

11. I ran a set on my shubox.

Attached Files:

12. farmer12

farmer12

Agree.