Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Studebaker Front Brakes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Terrible Tom, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

I just got back a 1950 Studebaker Business Coupe that I owned back in 1981. It had disappeared for years until I found it by accident and bought it. The years haven't been kind, but it's mostly still all there. It'll make a nice rod. I plan on staying with the stock coil spring suspension, but I would like to improve the front brakes with out putting a later clip on it. My question is, are there later, larger 5 bolt drums and backing plates that will replace the original 4 lugs? Money is limited as I am retired.
    Thanks, Tom

2. 327Eric

327Eric

3. Zerk

Zerk

I'll bet the later big, finned Studebaker drums/hubs will bolt on.

4. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I'm assuming, yours is a Champion. Try to find yourself a set of baking plates and drums off of a 47-52 Commander, they bolt right on to the spindles and will give you five-lugs and an 11-inch drum instead of the little milk-bottle-caps on the champions. The earlier ones, up to 1950 are manual adjust, the 51-52's are self adjusting.

I did this conversion on my '52 Champion...

5. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Yes, it is a Champion. That's the info I was looking for, thanks. Now I need to track down Commander parts. Might not be so easy.
    Tom

6. Wowcars

Wowcars

Theres a Studebaker swap meet in Menomenie on Saturday. Quite a hike, but if you are up for it...

7. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Dang! Wish I would have known sooner. I'm in the Beer Olympics in Plover and can't make it that day.
    Tom

8. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

look up Turner Brakes if you want to upgrade to discs.

9. Reverborama

Reverborama
    from Minnesota

You want the Turner Brake kit.

10. Koolriders

Koolriders

Say if the Stock drums are good and you have a wheel I am looking to purchase them.

I just posted a Wanted ad on here. Bill

11. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

The Turner website isn't clear - will his kit fit the '50s? I sense it is aimed more at the Loewy cars and Avantis.