Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Yet another F1 build starting up!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drptop70ss, Sep 25, 2013.

1. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Well there are a lot of F1 builds on the HAMB which is great for inspiration, so now I am starting one too. Just rolled it onto the trailer yesterday to get started and figure out what parts I am going to need. Right off the bat I am hoping to find better front fenders, hood, and doors with hinges. She is rough but savable!

[​IMG]

2. always nice to see another F-1 brought back to life. Looks like a fun project! Too bad you are so far away, i have lots of extra parts...

3. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Hey I will need small stuff too, PM me with what you have! Swap meets will be starting up so I am hoping to find some stuff for sale. Need a hood latch, glass, door internals, etc..

Started disassembly today.

stuck flathead, no idea of condition, so it will be sold with the transmission.

[​IMG]

nose removed, nice blurry pic for some reason

[​IMG]

front end all torn down. Plans are for a jaguar front suspension install.

[​IMG]

4. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

whats the deal with the stock rear suspension?
    I need to lower this thing 4" or so and I figure just flipping the axle to the top of the springs will get me there. How are the stock springs for ride quality? I want to use this as a truck and the orignal leafs look to be in good condition to reuse as long as it doesnt ride like a buckboard since most of the time the bed will be empty. Also why the grease fittings on the leaf spring bushings? Are they brass or something other than rubber in there?
    They look crusty in the picture but the flash makes them look worse than they are.

[​IMG]

5. fleet-master

fleet-master

you guys are spoiled having so much good stuff to play with !! :D shit, I had to make up my own doors...!!!

6. Looks like a good start.

7. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

I love the F1's,what running gear are you going to use?

8. Always good to see another F-1 build. Good Luck.

9. gicknordon

gicknordon

Leaf spring bushings are greased joints. No rubber in there.

10. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

so worth keeping or should I upgrade to something later model? Seems backwards since my 47 cadillac had rubber bushings, was it a HD thing since its a truck?

Not sure yet, will be something I have on the shelf with either a 5 speed or 6 speed..or an auto. Cant decide yet.

11. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

Nice! That's a good start! I can't wait to see this truck come together. Subscribed.

12. if you flip the rear on top of the orig. springs, you'll need a C notch for frame clearance. I don't think those orig. springs are all that great;...what I do on these F-1's is remove the orig. springs/hangers and replace em with 60's-70's late model Ford, Chev, Dodge truck rear leafs, just bolt em onto the F-1 framerails, then mount your rearend on top of the leafs;...here's a pic.
    good luck with your projects.
    [​IMG]

13. gicknordon

gicknordon

Theyll last a whole lot longer than rubber if maintained properly

14. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

can you be more specific of make and model, and maybe year range of the donor trucks? Looks like you have a chevelle rear there on that setup pictured, I will either be using a 3:08 chevelle rear or a 3:73 2nd gen camaro once I decide on the engine/trans. Looks like that setup will need a C notch as well, I had planned on one.

The original springs really look pretty good, if I get them apart and the bushings look good then I may just keep them. Not a big deal to hit them with a shot of grease when hitting the front suspension fittings.

15. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Thanks Kevin, your truck is coming along great!

16. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Can anyone comment on how much of a drop you get doing the axle flip and then removing every other leaf spring? That seems to be a common thing to do, I am thinking of doing that and hopefully still having some cargo carrying capacity. If it kills the ability to haul then I will go with the axle flip only.

17. cobra_4

cobra_4

18. I can't comment on the axle flip, But I doubt you need 11 leaves in the rear springs. I think I pulled 5-6 from each side, that alone dropped it about 3 inches, will still haul anything I want to haul. Rides much better too. If you do the axle flip you will likely need a frame notch for clearance.

19. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

If that works that is even better, I will try that first.

20. oldsman41

oldsman41

been a long time ago but I think I took 5 out of my 54

21. 2racer

2racer

22. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Thanks but I dont buy bolt on stuff unless it is cheaper than I can build it myself, typical cheapskate stretch the dollar mentality!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  23. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Any issues with the rear bottoming out now with the leaves removed? I have read a few threads with guys having that problem after removing the leaves.

24. I still have 2-3 inches till it hits the axle bumpers

25. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Good luck on your F-1 project.

26. toolman1967

toolman1967

Cant wait to see another F1 on the road. Looks like a great find!

Tim the Toolman

27. ...those springs pictured came off a '60 Dodge pickup, you are correct, this frame will get a C notch as well; as the photo shows there's only about 2 & 1/2 iches of clearance. That's a full-size late 70's Olds 10 bolt rearend, the correct width to run 8x15 " rear rims.
    virtually all 70's-most 80's truck rear springs will work; look for 1/2 ton trucks with springs about 50-52 inches eye to eye.

28. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

We have been slackin..
    Finally got a few minutes today on the truck, out with the engine and trans.

[​IMG]

For those who have ditched the factory engine and trans, did you cut out the factory trans crossmember completely or just the center section to fab a new trans mount? Looks like if I cut it out completely I should put something back to tie the frame together.

And thats it! Weak update but all I had time for today, will be getting into the Jag front end install soon.

29. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Whatcha got? I'll see what brown can do for me.:)

30. Unfortunately the original trans x member is in the wrong place for most modern trans. If you want to keep the stock brake/clutch location you can cut the center out, but you must stiffen the frame back up again. I cut mine for a T-5 and it really weakened the frame. I built a new X member for the trans mount.

Anybody looking for parts PM me direct.