Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need some carter afb help

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by texas56, Sep 23, 2013.

1. texas56

texas56

Hello all, wanted to see if anyone could tell me what is causing my issue. I have a 671 blown sbc that has dual afbs. Has good fuel pressure, runs good, and idles good. Sometimes when you get on it hard, as you are coming to a stop or turning a corner, it tends to die. Like it runs out of gas but ii think it is flooding because if you pull over, hold it to the floor it fire right back up. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

2. squirrel

squirrel

Maybe put it in neutral, and goose the throttle a bit when you come to a stop or go around a corner.

You could make sure it has a good filter, there's no crap in the needle/seats, the floats are properly adjusted, and there is nothing causing too much fuel pressure, too.

Hot rods are fun!

3. King Callie

King Callie
    from Virginia

I am not certain of all the details but I seem to remember hearing that blowers can cause either the actuators or power valves in the carter carbs to act up. Not much to go on but maybe it gets you headed in the right direction.

4. Slimmey

Slimmey

I have the same problem with my 2x4 '58 vette. Talked to my uncle a while back. Mainly stop to fast or when turning left hard. He found his notes from 1962. I believe he said it was vent tubes pluged. I just called him as I never got around to fixing, this (reminded me), he couldn't remember either. Said he would dig out his notes tomorrow. Said it was common though.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. texas56

texas56

Awesome I'll take any help I can get! Much appreciated!

6. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

My buddies T was doing that a few years ago. Pretty sure I fixed it by setting the floats properly?

7. Slimmey

Slimmey

Texas, my uncle informed me my carbs are wcfb's (don't know what i was thinking) with the vent tube problem, not the afb. Sorry about that. He did say the afb's sometimes just had a float set problem. He said make sure they were not fuel soaked (solid) or pin hole (copper type). Said he preffered afb.

8. Slimmey

Slimmey

Texas, my uncle informed me my carbs are wcfb's (don't know what i was thinking) with the vent tube problem, not the afb. Sorry about that. He did say the afb's sometimes just had a float set problem. He said make sure they were not fuel soaked (solid) or pin hole (copper type). Said he preffered afb.

9. BLAKE

BLAKE

Two things come to mind - float level, or vapor lock. You running an electric fuel pump?Does it happen primarily when the motor and weather are hot? If not, can you reproduce it just by stopping or turning hard while rolling at idle?

My twin Carters were really heat sensitive until I installed the laminate spacers and insulated the fuel line... all good now.

10. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I raced an AFB in an autocross car for several years, very hard turns. The problem with non vented AFB's is they dump fuel over the bowl. The cure was to provide vent tubes for the fuel to go in and return to the bowl. I also epoxied the runner between the bowls and in effect created two separate carbs

11. DS1937

DS1937

Drop the float level, easy enough to try.

12. models916

models916

Set the floats correctly with a drill bit of the correct size for the rise and fall of the float. Then install the Off Road needle and seat from Edelbrock. It's spring loaded and much less sensitive to changing conditions.

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I believe there are three adjustment holes in the accelerator pump plunger arm, each gives a different sized "squirt" of fuel. I bought a new 1970 340 Dart that had a similar stumbling problem from the factory, and only on those with an automatic transmission. I don't remember the specific fix,as I swapped to a Holley shortly after I bought the car. I did get a re-call type notice at the time. Maybe an old MOPAR mechanic, or someone with the factory-to-dealer service bulletins can help. Butch/56sedandelivery.

14. texas56

texas56

Thanks guys for all the help and advice! Ill try all of them!