Register now to get rid of these ads!

47-53 Chevrolet and GMC Doors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carmuts, Sep 17, 2013.

1. carmuts

carmuts

I have been looking at several 47-53 Chevtolet and GMC pickup doors to make sure I have mine ID'd correctly amd I am noticing some have the vent window and some do not. Can anyone explain to me if this is a year change or cab style change? Or something else that would make sense as to why some have them and others do not. I am more into Model A's, so this era is not my strong suit. Thanks Rod

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

47 AD trucks though 1950 had windows without vent wings. they also had the turn down door handles on the outside. 51 had vent windows but still had the turn down door handles. 52 and 53 had the vent windows and push button door handles.

It's fairly easy to modify a later door to use one piece windows and i don't know why anyone would ever want to modify and earlier door to use a vent wing.

The door latch striker on the the door post have to match the outside door handles. turn down handles take one striker and push button handles take a different one. Neither stays latched very well if at all if they are worn a bit. These are one vehicle where putting the bear claw style latches on them is a serious safety thing for you and your passengers and not just one of those cool things to do. 35 years ago my wife fell out of our 48 when the door flew open and still packs some scars from hitting the gravel. That was also the day she found out she was pregnant with our now 34 year old daughter while being attended to in the emergency room.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Earlier ones had no vent windows, there was a pillar vent, and later ones don't.

If memory serves me, '50 was the last year of no vent windows.

4. 1955IHC

1955IHC

It was an effort to provide better cooling in the cab. Using cab vents instead but it didn't work as well so they returned back to vent wing windows. The last Chevy GMC to have them was a 1991.

Sent via Western Union Express

5. carmuts

carmuts

Thanks, that makes sense now. Was beginning to wonder if I had completely botched the ID of these doors as I have had them for sale for over a year and no bites. Normally someone corrects me when I have it wrong and there has been nothing from that angle either. I took them out to the farm today and stored them away for awhile, so will no longer be advertizing them, just want to mkae sure I write on them what years thwey are correct for so I don't forget in afew years when i dig them back out.

Glad both your wife and daughter were Ok after the spill. We all have some of lifes scars that is for sure. Rod

6. lv2tri2

lv2tri2

Will the doors, late 47 through early 55 Chevy and GMC interchange?

7. carmuts

carmuts

So these NOS handles are 47-50 then, not 52-54 then? Parts pile making more sense with some of it. Rod

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  8. carmuts

carmuts

lv2tri2, did anyone answer your question? I am curiuos also. Rod

9. Truckedup

Truckedup

47-51 will interchange. I believe the push 52-55 button doors have a different latch than the earlier pull down handle doors.

10. carmuts

carmuts

After looking at pic's of the early 55's, I think they will physicly fit, but as stated in several places in this thread you will have to either change handles and latch assemblies for them to funtion correctly. Rod

11. lv2tri2

lv2tri2

No, I did however buy a 54 GMC cab and have 49 Chevy doors, that I hope will fit. I will go get the cab in Idaho in a week, I'll know for sure then.

12. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

Are you by chance getting the cab from a guy near Silverwood? He's almost a neighbor.

13. carmuts

carmuts

Let us know how that works out. I know they changed things some right in that era. But do not know the Chevy stuff very well. Rod

14. lv2tri2

lv2tri2

I found the 54 cab at a salvage yard in Mountain Home ID. Minor dents but no real rust. It's pretty nice. I will post the results on how well the doors fit.

15. lv2tri2

lv2tri2

I got the 54 GMC cab home, 2000 miles in 4 days. Hauled it in the bed of my F150, that was an adventure. My 49 Chevy doors fit beautifully. There is a very slight difference in the hinges. The jimmy hinge is a little heavier but does not effect fit. The striker plate is different and requires more depth in the cab to mount it. So at this point I still have some things to figure out.

16. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

The mounts are different on the early trucks than the later cabs but not a major problem. The strikers will be different, bear claw latches will be the
    best safety improvement you can make other than seat belts.

17. mphudak

mphudak
    from Atlanta

Iirc 47-48/49 used a different windlace for the doors.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!