Register now to get rid of these ads!

Goodguys Indy is Moving

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40Standard, Sep 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. do you really believe nhra would rather book a bracket race with no spectators compared to a event that draws thousands of hot dog eating souvenir buying participants and they can charge for a midway. good guys has said before the racing was a pain in their ass. face it good guys has gone cheap. i dont want gg to fail. i miss the good shows they used to produce.

2. shotrod

shotrod

To be perfectly honest the shop partys that were going on and the action at the hotels were way better than the goodguys show itself! I haven't been to indy since the last irp show and I wasn't impressed with this brickyard show so I'm sad to say this is the last time ill be seeing my favorite city of Indy until there's a show worth going to,cause the fairgrounds is going to suck!

3. KIRK!

KIRK!

Exactly why I don't post here anymore. Name one time I didn't tell the real story on here. This place has become such a joke.

For those who care for the real story... Goodguys moved to IMS because the previous facility was literally falling apart and when it rained it became a swamp where people would get stuck and have to be towed out. Many complained that there was not enough shade, but most complained about the condition of the facility itself. I don't know a Goodguys staffer who wasn't bummed to lose the drags. Hell, Marc Meadors spends pretty much every waking moment either prepping his drag car or racing it.

Then on to IMS. The whole idea here was to be right in the middle of one of the most historic sites in all of automotive history. This move cost Goodguys more, but the idea of being at IMS seemed a good reason to do it anyway. Logistically IMS isn't the easiest place to get folks in and out of. Still no shade and personally I feel like the venue is too disjointed for a cohesive feeling event.

Now to the fairgrounds. Goodguys does their best shows at fairgrounds. Fairgrounds please the most people. There is shade, a more cohesive feel and lots of indoor space to get out of the weather (hot or wet). Plus, like was mentioned, the fairgrounds has been recently revamped AND there will be demolition derby from 5-10:00 on Saturday night.

Like I always say, if you have a real issue or complaint, by all means I'd like to hear it. You just want to talk shit? Well...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  4. KIRK!

KIRK!

When they think they can make the money instead of someone else, yes. This exact scenario has happened to Goodguys more than a few times since I've been there. It's exactly what happened to Paso.

5. Roadsir

Roadsir

Seems like we can piss and moan about all forms of motorsports and motorsports hobbies in the USA...GG, NSRA, NASCAR, NHRA, INDY CAR, ...but we should be damn thankful we have them, a hell of lot of other places in the world don't have what we have.

There's a lot of factors at play here, One is a general theme in America that bigger is always better, and typically fans or hobbyists get disillusioned and the hobby adjusts or reacts accordingly. Not attending is one means to react, but a better means might be to tell them what you think needs to change to keep attending.

I think the biggest effecting all forms of motorsports is the aging of the post WWII baby boomers. A lot of "average" middle income people are getting older, scaling back or completely exiting the hobby, and leaving an upper crust of rich and tasteless to carry it on, and the second and third generation hot rodders that are fewer in numbers. Mix the hot rodders that are left with the muscle car guys, truck guys, tuners, dubs and were out numbered.

If they were intent on keeping the core focus of hot rods, and musclecars (which I think is fine) I'd be figuring out a scaled back "travelling circus plan" to double or triple the number of events, with a half or third the attendance at smaller cheaper venues, with more volunteers (regional drags strips, road racing courses, dirt tracks, some fairgrounds). If planned and executed correctly hot rodders could plan a few events back to back for an extended vacation and journey between would be more fun than the destination. Bring back drag racing with some regional three, or four weekend, back to back, qualifications and a national finally.

Perhaps they need to swallow their pride a little and realize there not the biggest event in town, and maybe not the best at all things. How about riding the riding the coattails of other long standing venues so car hobbyists can combine two events or more in one trip. If I could do a back to back Goodguys weekend with large swap meets (Carlisle, Hershey, IOLA) or some World of Outlaw nights, Champ cars, Vintage road racing events, Driving schools, Concours events, Sanctioned Drag Event, Large Auctions, SEMA, PRI, Henry Ford Museum, Speedway Museum, The great race, Corvette factory, Indycar, Maybe a NASCAR truck race...Ok maybe not but you get the idea.

National vendors may struggle to hit a higher number of events but smaller regional vendors and privateers may spring for three regional events or more if discounted, and it's those that you would like to support the most.

There are other benefits (More events would reduce risk of bad weather weekends.)

And I am sure there are some real disadvantages, It would be interesting to hear from the GG staff, and understand what some of the issues are.

6. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I was told by a GG's rep 3 years ago it was the venders who complained the loudest about IRP.
    Some of the issues were the outdoor set up for them and the lack of security. There were also times when the weather and storms played hell with their tents.
    As far as the late models, IMO it's the auto cross and the venders that support it that are bringing them in,Ride Tech and Detroit Speed are just a few of the venders that participate and at Columbus there were many more.
    I have also been a member of NSRA since 1988 and after all the fears some had about the non under 48 only rule I really don't think much has changed, yes there are some nice cars attending without being over run by Fox bodied Mustangs and imports, after all they have their own shows and most seem content with them.
    One more thing, remember the GG show at Norwalk had drag racing and it wasn't supported enough to continue so it too bit the dust.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

7. Kirk,
    I attended every Goodguys Indy event when it was at IRP. I live in Indy and would love to see some life pumped back into the event.

While I understand to a point why you moved from IRP, and understand in part the move to IMS, a move to the Indiana State Fairgrounds will put the last nails in the lid of the coffin for Indy GoodGuys

A great fairgrounds to have this event would be the Hendricks County Fairgrounds in Danville, Indiana.

Plenty of hotels located in safe neighborhoods in Plainfield, some in Brownsburg and Avon.
    The fairgrounds is quite large, all buildings are modern steel and color matched, less than 10 years old and very up to date.
    It has a nice midway area, an arena to have a demo derby
    Some of the buildings are air conditioned, there is plenty of participant parking and absolutely tons of spectator parking.
    The towns of Danville, Avon, Plainfield and Brownsburg all have plenty of stores, gas stations, and above all, if your car would happen to break you are in a safe area.

Located approx 10 miles WSW from IRP, you could even host a day at the drags.

8. KIRK!

KIRK!

Cool suggestions. I'll pass them along.

9. let me get this straight here the participants complained because it rained and complained because there was too much sun and not enough shade. wtf i was there in indy when it rained and it was bad i agree. with that much rain any place would have flooded. gg holds a event in chicago with a race track and they dont race there either. its one of nhras newest palaces. whats the reason for no racing there. the real deal is these fair ground and parking lot shows are boring. the gg show in madison and waukesha were a big flop because there was nothing to do but look at the same cookie cutter cars parked door handle to door handle. dont give me a line of bs that it was cold. the iron invasion got almost a thousand cars on a 40 degree day on its first show last year. why you may ask because there was entertainment. there was a pinup contest bands swap meet parties pre and post etc. in a nut shell there was something to do. when will gg understand the majority of the cars that attend these shows we have all seen before at some other show along the way. there is little reason to just wander around and look at them all over again and again. people want to be entertained and the racing was entertainment. if you dont want the hot sun sell your car and take up knitting. you can still sit in your lawn chair and show off what you made all in the comfort of your living room ac. kirk if the gg shows were such a entertainment sensation why is there a line to leave the show at 3pm. its easey to answer its because there was nothing to do.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  10. Ebert

Ebert

Man, let's just jump on Goodguys and bitch all the way home. Yeah, they have a business to run and if you have not run an event at this magnitude...then maybe you should try and realize how tough it could be. If you run a small business like I do, you understand. The difference in their deals and local deals (in my opinion and I have gone to many of their events across the country) is that they try to make their events "national" in that they try to attract "national" cars to their event which allow guys like me to see what other guys around the country (cheap builds or expensive builds) are doing.

I paid $55 for my car this weekend (my rate was cheaper because I am a member) and saw a ton of old friends and guys/gals that I have met before at the Indy events...I must admit that I would have paid more given the fun that I had. I also met some really cool people that i hope to see at future events as well.

Yeah, I miss the drag racing big time lime most on here. I was told that IRP "stiffed" the Goodguys.

Everyone has the right to their opinions....I appreciate that!
    E

11. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Thanks for the input, not gonna talk any shit, It is a long haul for us from Texas BUT we use to do it every year for a long time, we would count the days , It WAS the the best show at IRP,10-12 of us went to it every year,,For what is worth NONE of us have been back since the move from IRP. If for some reason it would return to IRP so would we.

12. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

The home of the U.S. Nationals is in disrepair and cant handle a carshow/drag race? Please! It is hot and does rain and the insurance cost to run cars on the track ads to the cost of the event. THIS is most likely the reason for the move. Not the facility. My son has rented the track for a big dollar bracket race before and the cost is the reason it now happens elsewhere. It is also a lot more work to properly run a race.

13. KIRK!

KIRK!

Who said they couldn't handle it?

I have been with Goodguys for almost ten years and I have yet to hear that a show should be moved to make it worse, but make more money. The entire idea every time a move has to happen is to move to a facility that will please more people. Yes, that new location has to be profitable, that's business.

14. KIRK!

KIRK!

I'll also say this. Goodguys is a job. it has it's ups and downs for me personally, but anyone who knows me knows that I don't kiss anyone's ass for any reason. I'd rather have people think I'm an asshole than blow rainbow smoke up their ass. I'm the guy at work who tells it like it is even if it pisses them off, but later they realize that all I was doing is telling it the way I see it. I do the same here, but it's always way more fun for people to complain.

Done with this one. You'll believe what you want to believe. Any questions, just email me, I'm more than happy to answer them, listen to real complaints and especially listen to suggestions. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  15. nor6304

nor6304
    from Indiana

I understand the moving of the show & I would be more open to a show in Danville I just don't understand if you are trying to please the most people why you would open the show to cars & trucks up to 2014 If that is talking shit then so be it!

16. choptop31

choptop31
    from avon ind

iam done with goodguys and nsra/

17. Everybody is an expert !! With all this knowledge its a wonder there is not a 1000+ car event in every town. Yeah I'm old and remember when hot rodding all but disappeared in most areas. I woke up one day and street rodding was coming back. Now we all better help, street rods, tuners, ricers, racers, and rats. The environmentalists will be killing the car hobby, it's coming.

Kirk, keep up the good fight and thanks.

18. KIRK!

KIRK!

Sounds like an opinion to me. FYI, one of the Goodguys top three events of each season is the All American Get-Together. it's 31 years old and has always welcomed all years American made and/or powered vehicles. Three of the four events in Pleasanton are all-years shows. Most car guys like cars of all eras and just pass up the ones they have no interest in.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  19. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

I went 3 times to IRP.
    Great place and good time. I really enjoyed it!
    I think they screwed up leaving there!

20. Special Ed

Special Ed

I have no dog in this fight, so no opinions regarding the show other than to wonder why a demolition derby would be promoted by any organization that is based on the preservation and admiration of automobiles. :confused:

21. KIRK!

KIRK!

Ha ha! Good point. The demolition derby is only open to 1948 and earlier cars. The rarer the car the more points you get.

Don't overthink it.

I know I'll be trying to get a car built so that I can compete.

22. lobuktruk

lobuktruk
    from Cayuga In.

Life is what you make of it people, I had to look at the top of my screen to make sure I wasn't on Facebook. I was glad they moved from IRP to IMS, I used to do the swap meet at IRP and quit doing it because it seemed to rain everytime and was like a swamp. Goodguys took my money and let it rain and made it all stay there instead of drain away. (Yes, that's sarcasm) I enjoyed the Speedway and just wish I had my truck there so I could have driven on the track. I couldn't make it this year but I did make it over to JoKerrs open house and saw some of the better cars from the event, no lawn chairs and no crying babies. This is how you enjoy your Hot Rod, not at the closest buffet to your hotel complaining about how there wasn't enough to do at the event. I love Goodguys weekend in Indy, the automotive history, the amazing hospitality from some local shops that put on open house events in the evening, Godspeed, Bubbas, and JoKerrs. These aren't just open the doors and hang out, these guys put out a big spread with food, bands, drive in movies. I only made it to JoKerrs and I brought an early midget racer that wasn't restored like all the others but at the end of the night when I was loading it up Joe came over to thank ME for bringing it. I thought that was class after all the work he put into the open house. It is what you make of it. I go to lots of events at the fairgrounds and it's not in the greatest neighborhood but there basically aren't any hotels in the immediate area so you will still be staying at the same hotels you did before anyway. I'm glad KIRK! spoke up on here, I don't know him personally but I think he's one of us that "gets it" He was at JoKerrs Sat night recording vintage sprint cars with his cellphone just like the rest of us. Anyway I'm just saying if you aren't having fun doing this either find a way to have fun again or quit doing it, Once again life is what you make of it, now take you rod out and play with it....your car that is.

23. skirtless33

skirtless33

I set up at IRP in the swap meet everyear and it was great. Have not been to the 500 track because I didn't like the move. The last year at IRP the swap meet was way down as was the cars maybe because there so many shows to go to. As far as the rain and hot that comes with any weekend.

24. Da Flash

Da Flash

Kirk,

Your right on on all accounts, and sooner than they think the guys that a making fun of the "Old Guys", the ones that started all this, are going to be an "Old guy" too......

Da Flash

25. bradroe

bradroe

x2
    The hot rodders that dont go have no reason to complain, they are the reason the number of street rod/customs is falling off and the late models are in. We need to support what we have because if we dont they all will be gone. Im just glad we have an event we can attend. I bust my ass every year to coordiante the swap meet for Goodguys Indy event. I try my best to make it worth coming to. Give the move a chance before you judge and support our hobby. Goodguys in Columbus Oh and Iowa are at state fairgrounds that are not in the best area for crime but are the two biggest shows Goodguys have and I dont hear any complaints about them. I like what Baad 32 said get off your ass and support the show.

26. nor6304

nor6304
    from Indiana

Well I have been to the last 21 Indy shows ( in a pre 49 ) & the last 15 Columbus shows ( in a pre 49 ) but I'm not allowed to have an opinion on the shows Maybe I should just not go & help support the shows or the pay some people get!

27. slammed

slammed

HAMB was started for a number of reasons. Supporting the NSRA & GG shows where not one of them.

28. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Indiana State Fair Grounds is in da ghetto.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. jmh

jmh

48 and earlier DEMO cars.. Really.. :confused: WOW!!!! John:)

30. bradroe

bradroe

If you have been to last 21 shows in Indy and 15 in Columbus than you have a right to complain or make suggestions and every right since your in a pre 49. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.