Register now to get rid of these ads!

History ANyone heard or know anything about GM impala test cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by westcoastlowrider, Sep 24, 2013.

1. westcoastlowrider

westcoastlowrider
    from LA

I had a question to all you guys does anyone here know anything about GM putting out "test cars". I recently bought a 63 Impala from an older gentlemen who claims it was a Gm "test car" which he said GM used different interior materials etc etc on this particular impala although i cant find anything about it online. There are a couple small differences ive noticed in different areas of this car from other regular 63s also has a big number stamped down on the cowl tag in the middle of it. So my question is does anyone know anything about this or heard anything about this? Any help would be appreciated thanks

2. shawnspeed

shawnspeed
    from Attica Mi

Back in the day before ambulance chasers...it was not that uncommon for them (GM) to sell cars, engines, tires, and other parts, to employees, thru a sales office at the warren tech center...the cars were typically current model year (production) cars that had some test parts installed..and sometimes removed before sale , sometimes not....My dad purchased 2 cars thru a friend of his that was a test engineer in the 60's....one a 63 biscayne, W/ 409/425hp mystery motor , 4 speed 4.56 rearW/ tuffy axles with acid dipped body panels....2nd was a 68 rs/ss camaro with the DZ 302.....All came to a crashing end when someone purchased a set of tires , sold them to a neighbor, tire failed, and the lawers followed the tire back to GM and sued, and won....and away went the car/part/tire sales to employees....and the scrap dealers have been very happy ever since....Shawn

3. Yes, test/pre-production/pilot/etc cars have made it in to public hands. That said, I'd take what this fellow is trying to sell you with a large grain of salt. Far easier to make up such a story than it is to prove it with a paper trail or hard evidence that's been verified by someone intimately familiar with the cars.

[​IMG]

Sure would be nice if the HAMB had the BS flag smiley. [​IMG]

4. westcoastlowrider

westcoastlowrider
    from LA

5. westcoastlowrider

westcoastlowrider
    from LA

Is there anything in the vin or cowl tag or anything anywhere that could prove 100% that it was some kind of a test car?

6. westcoastlowrider

westcoastlowrider
    from LA

7. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

8. A friend of mine bought a used 65 belair 2 dr. sedan off a car lot that seemed to have a lot of power for a 283 2 bbl. (about 1970) After several years of use, the engine was worn out so the owner decided to rebuild it. Lots of odd part numbers in the engine, went to Chevy dealership with part numbers and was offered a new long block for a token price. (they wanted the old one back)
    I have no idea if there were any numbers on the car that made it unusual, but the owner said the car wasn't the same with the new engine.

9. The VIN would be an extremely low number (ie; the last six digits are 000005) or non-standard.

You should go to ChevyTalk.org and contact Verne_Frantz.

10. westcoastlowrider

westcoastlowrider
    from LA

The car also has these weird looking extra motor mounts that are tied to the a arms on the side front of the block that ive never seen on a 63 impala before.

11. We had pilot cars in the factory. We would build the car. Then a crew would tear it apart.then we would rerun the car. This would happen several times. The car then went into company service and had upto 3000 miles put on it. Then the car would be sold to an employe. If no one bought it it could go to the zone are to a dealer who sold it as a demo. This was stopped but I don't remember when. I do remember driving a white Cadillac to the scrap yard. I pulled the company test car plate off and it was crushed right in front of my eyes. A yard man at the yard begged us not to let them drop the hammer on it.