Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1939 Banjo Rear Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by SleightsburghMC, Sep 15, 2013.

1. SleightsburghMC

SleightsburghMC

I bought a 39 banjo rear for my Av8 project to use with a 33-34 driveshaft i picked up. I pulled the torque tube to find a solid driveshaft with no coupler. It has wide 5 hydraulic brakes so I'm a bit confused as to what I have here or what I'm missing? Any good advice is always appreciated!

Bill

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1379288287.470087.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1379288323.298986.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

The rear is out of a 39 or 40 Mercury.One piece solid driveshaft for the entire length with the pinion milled on the shaft.The Torque tube also has a visable splice to lengthen it due to the extended wheelbase of the Merc.Check the #'s on the housing. It should have a 3:54 gearset. If they are good you can cut the shaft and have the stub splined to fit a stock ford coupler.I've done a few of these,the trick is in finding a Machinist willing to do the work,The axle's and housings are the same as 37 to 40 Ford. Bob

3. SleightsburghMC

SleightsburghMC

Thanks Bob!

4. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes jailhouse bob is correct , we have done one of these too, found the super long pinion drive in pile and kept hunting in the pile to track down the matching 3.54 crown wheel. Then found a machinist to cut the pinion down and mill six splines into it.

5. SleightsburghMC

SleightsburghMC

Just checked it. Looks to be 3.54. Just have to find a good machinist in the Hudson Valley.

6. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

I'm in the hudson valley and am about to have my machinist do one (if i can talk him into it again) i won't have contact with him for about 2 weeks but i can ask if he will do yours as well.In the meantime,if you find someone that is good (and reliable) please let me know.I lost one of these and a substantial payment when i sent the work out of state and never got it back (or the money) so i like to deal with someone in person. Bob

7. SleightsburghMC

SleightsburghMC

Thanks Bob! Ill let you know if I find someone too.