Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help to identfy SBC engine??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KCCOS, Sep 23, 2013.

1. KCCOS

KCCOS
    from KC

Ok just got this 62 C10. Have not picked it up yet but it has a SBC engine that someone has put in. Have not gotten any numbers off of it yet. Just trying to see if anyone has a good idea right now of what it is. I think it is either a 307 or 327???. It has a powerglide 2 speed behind it. Any help would be great.
    Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. brandon

brandon

looks like late 70's , early 80's..305 mayb3...with adapter to run small base carb

3. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

yes, the blue paint suggests mid-70's.

just get the casting number by the dizzy. that will give you an indication.

if the stamped numbers are still on the pad below the alternator, you should be able to tell exactly what you have by decoding the two sets of numbers together.

do a google search and you will find many sites that will help decode a small block chevy

4. KCCOS

KCCOS
    from KC

When I get it home this weekend I will get the numbers off of it and look them up. It does look like it might be a 4 barrel but has a 2 barrel adapater on it?

5. brandon

brandon

is timing tab behind the water pump..?

6. KCCOS

KCCOS
    from KC

Not sure? won't have it home till this weekend. But if it does what does that mean?

7. My guess also
    But you never know what short block hiding under all the blue paint and EGR stuff.

8. Cos,
    Its just a smogger motor. You can't tell what a small block is by looking at it you can just narrow it down to era as long as nothing has been done to it.

When you get the numbers from it here is a link that will help you with the block ID:

http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.php

9. Come on...we all know it has to be out of a Corvette....

10. Well truth is that it could be out of a smog era vette. Smog era vettes were the true plastic wonders, I always wondered why anyone would buy one.

11. KCCOS

KCCOS
    from KC

Thanks Pork for the link.

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

My guess would be a mid 80s 305.

13. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Get the casting numbers off the back of the block and we can figure this out. I have seen 327s in Canada painted 305 blue...
    Jay

14. 1948plymouth

1948plymouth
    from Minnesota

X2 ---by the color and width of the balancer.

But the numbers are the sure bet. If it is a true 4bbl 305, the heads will be great to use on a 350 due to small combustion chambers and bigger intakes that can easily be massaged to 1.94