Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Demystifying the ol' Hood Peak

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Big A, May 1, 2013.

1. I'm boring as all hell in real life :D

My bench is an old set of industrial shelves I cut in half to make an L at bench height. 2 layers of 3/4" plywood and 14ga steel on top. I got the metalsupermarket to cut to my spec, did a little trimming, welded the pieces together and it's pretty darn solid.

2. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I believe it is CHOCOLATE Frosted Sugar Bombs. Eat enough, and Automotive Scientific Progress will, in fact, go "Boink."

Great tech man. Excellent solution for tackling the problem. I really liked how you fabricated the peak in the piece of stock.

-Brad

3. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Metalsupermarket rules.

Between them and McMaster-Carr, there's damn little a guy can't create.

-Brad

4. 53 sparky

53 sparky

Nice job, Big A. No sense buying something when you can make it better. I always say: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I wish I had been more into the Hot Rod scene back when I lived in Beamsville 20 years ago. Closest I got at that time was my cousin's '69 Dart and some crappy body work on my first car.

5. Beamsville? There's something you don't hear on the HAMB very often.

Yeah, too bad McMaster Carr won't ship to Canada... :mad:

6. tjmercury

tjmercury

Cool, thanks for the step by step

7. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I actually believe that your tech article is one of the best ever. Thanks, for taking the time to post it. Hopefully, you can get a bunch of last minute votes to push into the lead. Stu

8. I'm blown away by the support guys, thank you all. I put this up to show support for Tech Week and I hoped to make the top 10. I got second and I'm thrilled.

Ryno's paint thread is awesome and he's a well-deserving winner. The hydroforming thread is simply amazing, not something I would've thought you could do at home. Tons of good tech week threads. Average guys doing really cool stuff at home, I love it.

9. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

This one was well deserved too.Congrats,Andrew!

10. Roscoe Clyde

Roscoe Clyde

Nice...

Roscoe Clyde

11. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

12. 4rod

4rod

Big A awesome man...After the video, I've decided to follow your tech and give it a shot for my 50...thanks brother...

13. Very cool. I was kinda hoping this would be of use to someone. Post up some pics when you get 'er done.

14. I'd dragging this back up to the top just to say thanks to the sponsors. I grabbed a set of gauges and a shirt from the So Cal Speed Shop, haven't figured out what I want from EMS, and these appeared in my mailbox a few days ago...

[​IMG]

They are sweet. Matt at Gear Drive does a damn fine job.

Next time Tech Week rolls around step right up boys and girls. I didn't expect to win a damn thing, but I made out like a bandit.

Thanks again to all the sponsors and the HAMB.

15. You heading over to the dark side....SBC....

16. 54rat210

54rat210

17. Nope. Nothing but flatties in my garage, but they're going to a good home...

[​IMG]

(yes, he's going to replace the yellow plug wires, among other things) :D

18. damn....what a change something like headers make...lookin good

19. sr808

sr808

Very nice work! Your illustrations are clear too.

20. 5DeuceSled

5DeuceSled

Very cool write up, very entertaining as well! I may have to do this to my bucket of bolts this winter

21. I'll drag this up one more time, to say thanks to EMS for sponsoring Tech Week. I just got a nice big package from them with some nice non-rusty bits for my '41...

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, this one has to wait until I get my '51 on the road. Hopefully some time before I die or not too long after. :D

Thanks EMS, Thanks SoCal, Thanks Gear Drive, and Thanks to Baleigh and the HAMB for Tech Week. Let's do another!

I'm done kissing ass now. Back to the garage.

22. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

Congrats, great thread, easy to follow, second to none ingenuity. You deserve everything you won.