Register now to get rid of these ads!

Super fast blinkers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kcbeardclub, Sep 12, 2013.

1. 54vicky

54vicky

just a thought you do have 6 volt bulbs not 1157 they are 12 volt.I think 1156 is what you need.

2. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Nope, 1156 are single filament 12V bulbs.

1154 are 6V double filament bulbs which is what I believe is required in this case.

3. 54vicky

54vicky

drunkman you are absolutely right.sorry senior moment 54vicky.did not mean to muddy the water with wrong #

4. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

No problem 54vicky, we all mess up somewhere along the line.

5. kcbeardclub

kcbeardclub
    from KCMO

1154 is the correct number, I have replaced them all as well as the grounds, brand new blinker, added more resistance and still have had no change.
    T

6. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

So, as far as I can gather, all lights are working correctly other than flashing too fast?

Seems to me that a heavy duty flasher is needed, don't know what else it could be.

7. kcbeardclub

kcbeardclub
    from KCMO

:confused:That's what I thought but the brand new Heavy duty flasher didn't help at all:confused:

8. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

I always use heavy duty #552 flashers - available at any good auto parts.

Also would going to 12V be in your future?

;)

9. We all seem to be concentrating on the wiring, the sockets and the bulbs. Could there be a short or something grounding in the turn signal switch itself? How about the brake lamp switch? The turn signal circuit is often routed thru the brake lamp switch.

10. kcbeardclub

kcbeardclub
    from KCMO

I would like to keep it 6volt for as long as possible.
    T

11. kcbeardclub

kcbeardclub
    from KCMO

I had thought about that, the switch itself had the original wires so I just finished re wiring and soldering the turn signal switch, and as far as I can tell, the brake light switch is grounded. We will see if that helps at all.
    Thanks again for all of the input.
    T

12. Teighlor

Teighlor

G'day
    Hate to drag up an old thread but I'm having the exact same issue with my car and would like to know if the OP found a fix? My car is 12v and we've tried adding bulbs, checked the earths, all bulbs are together and in one piece and tried a couple different flasher relays. Doesn't sound like there's much else that can be wrong..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. nukeman

nukeman
    from Michigan

Pull all of the bulbs and use a multimeter to see if the flasher is still flashing.
    The multimeter should not draw enough to activate the flasher by itself so if the flasher is still flashing without the bulbs there's a short somewhere between the flasher and bulb socket.

It may be better to start a new thread.

14. sdluck

sdluck

Sound like high resistance in the turn signal switch.

15. nukeman

nukeman
    from Michigan

Ohms law states that an increase in resistance will cause a decrease in current. Unless this is a modern electronic flasher, high resistance will make it flash slower not faster.
    Too much current, like if you plug in trailer lights without a heavy duty flasher, make it flash faster.
    A short will cause excessive current and is the logical thing to look for.
    Easy enough to check by bypassing the switch but a waste of time in my opinion.

16. 54vicky

54vicky

I guess he solved problem or gave up I just read back through and noticed in his post #25 he stated all bulbs were flashing at once.the only thing I can think is that his switch is or was the problem.as it is the one common point for the wires to signals as he said he rewired with new wire but if internal problem in switch rewiring would not fix the problem.would have been nice to know as it would maybe helped someone else.sdluck I think you may have been right

17. sdluck

sdluck

I agree if voltage stays at 12 volts ,so does it do this running or engine off,because battery voltage should be different.

18. Super fast, thousand times a minute, is a dead short, I bet the bulbs aren't even getting a chance to light up.

19. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

If he says all 4 turn signals are blinking, then yes, the turn signal switch or wiring is screwed up. Another possibility is that he might have the X (6V) and P (turn indicator) terminals swapped and the flasher is doing some strange things.

Take flasher out and jumper the two opposite terminals (X and L) with an ammeter. + goes to X, - goes to L. Read the current, it should be a little higher than 4 amps. If higher, like 6-9 amps, you have too many bulbs running, which again might be turn signal switch or wiring. Above 10 amps means a short somewhere.