Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What would you do? - flake question.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by cederholm, Sep 12, 2013.

1. cederholm

cederholm

My first attempt at flaking a roof and I know realize my base color is to light. In certain light the roof looks great, but in other light you get the "pepper" effect. I believe I need more flake to cover all the paint that's showing through.

I'm using standard size flake (.015x.015) from TCP Global and the final "clear only" coats have NOT been put down yet.

Should I,
    - just keep burring with the same size flake then clear?
    - switch to a smaller flake, bury and clear?
    - start sanding and lay down a darker base?

Thanks all!

~ Carl

2. Carl,
    Are you using colored flake or???

Maybe if you take a smaller colored flake and lay it on heavy it will cure it. You could even lay out some lines in the original flake to add a little shape if you liked.

Just thinking out loud here, a pic may help us with an answer even if it is not a finished product yet.

3. cederholm

cederholm

Hey Beaner,

Yes, it's seafoam green flake over Aqua paint (not sure what I was thinking). I'll post some pics over the weekend.

Thanks for your input, always appreciated!

~ Carl

4. This sounds a little off the wall but what if you low a coat or two of pearl over it. It should enhance the look a bit and maybe be just the ticket.

Maaan if you could still get Frog Eye Pearl it would really make it jump out at ya.

5. cederholm

cederholm

Hmmm... very interesting idea.

6. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Pearl over flake tends to muddy the whole package. You need more flake.

The best results I've ever seen/gotten has been spraying a heavy coat of multiple flake sizes over a similar metallic base. Do that, and all that's left is to determine the best means of hiding your erection.

7. dtracy

dtracy

The way I used to do solid color flake was to keep shooting until it was completely covered. Then add the clear coats, sand and more clear coats, sand and buff. Only used Mirra to highlight over a predetermined base coat color.

Dave.

8. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Well, I was going to upload some pics, but apparently the damn pic-pump took a dump... maybe later.

Just imagine silver flake... and it looks good, too!

9. cederholm

cederholm

Multi sized flake and keep spraying it is then! Thanks!

Tim, love to see those pics.

Thnx,
    Carl

10. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Here we go... resized them down a little...

This is HOK micro- and large- silver flake, along with Kustom Shop micro-, medium-, and large- silver flake... so three sizes, and the two manufacturers' silver flakes differ slightly in their tone and reflectivity. It's impressive in person, reflects like polished stainless from afar and is super-varied up close...

My friend Mike started off spraying them in ascending order, and we had similar coverage issues once we got to the large size, so we ended up mixing all five flakes in the cup and shot them in two more fairly heavy flow-coats and it looked awesome. Two more coats of clear to bury it and we had this:

Attached Files:

11. cederholm

cederholm

Awesome!!! Thanks for the help Tinman that looks great.

~ Carl

12. Clarks Metal & Kustom

Clarks Metal & Kustom
    from RI

sand it so more clear will stick,(but be careful not to sand the flakes!! they will turn silver on you, and it will piss you off) then flake it more, dust coats...dont try to lay the flakes down like you would the base or the clear(overlap,etc) it will get blotchy on you. then after your done with flake, let it sit for 20-25 mins..normal clear no flake like you normally would...you might get lucky and not have to sand it (smooth enough) for more clear. good luck

13. cederholm

cederholm

Dave,

What ratio of flake to clear would you recommend? And what grit sandpaper to rough up the clear thats down now?

Thanks for the advice!

~ Carl
    PS - what part of RI are you in? I'm originally from Prov and my mother lives in North Prov still.

14. Clarks Metal & Kustom

Clarks Metal & Kustom
    from RI

That depends on what size tip your using for a clear gun, its gonna have to be a big one for the best results. I would use 600 grit, wet or dry..i go wet, just cause its works out easier for me. rule of thumb with a 1.7-1.8 tip 3 tablespoons per quart. for a monster flake, smaller flake you can get away with possibly double that... you should spray some test panels with diffrent amounts of flake to see what works better for you and your setup. good luck dude...post some pics when your done, or even when your doing it.

My shop is in Smithfield, near lincoln mall. Currently live in Providence, (NP side) but building a house in smithfield ...still come up here at all?

15. cederholm

cederholm

WooHoo!!! Micro, medium and standard flake - and lots of it worked! Still needs more clear but I'm happy. Thanks for the help and advice gents!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1379808246.052178.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

17. Clarks Metal & Kustom

Clarks Metal & Kustom
    from RI