Register now to get rid of these ads!

Goodguys Indy is Moving

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40Standard, Sep 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chopped

chopped

They going to have a contest to see how high a Donk or a Whale can bounce? Good times.

2. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

You could tell by the car count on saturday that this show is on life support. Too bad Indy is a nice place to visit.

3. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

I think moving it back to June is a step in the right direction, just way too much going on in September around here in the midwest. When it was in June, it use to be cool because eveyone would be debuting new cars there, now by the time Septemeber rolls around most of them are old news.
    As far as opening up the year break...just have to wait and see.

4. sota

sota

So sad to see this once great show go down the tubes the way it has!

5. canarydeuce

canarydeuce
    from Indy

Decided at last min. to attend on Sat. Cost $75 (including 1yr GG membership). Walked around for 4hr and saw every car and left.

Seemed like much smaller turnout than past years at IRP. And it was much more interesting to watch the drags.

Autocross would be interesting if the run of the mill attending cars would make a pass, but watching the same dozen purpose built Camaros run was BORING.

I live 20 min. from the fairgrounds and won't be back.

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

I believe the days of Lawn Chair events are over anyway. Greed Guys participation numbers are dropping like a stone and they are panicking. Their take is diminishing and they are opening up the registration to anything with wheels on it to make up the difference. This will only further exacerbate their problem and will bite them in the ass big time. They are done. Remember all the pissing and moaning when the NSRA went to a sliding 30 year cutoff? At least they have a cutoff and do give out decent door prizes.
    Meanwhile events such as the NHRA Hot Rod Reunion with nostalgia drag racing have their attendance numbers booming. If you don't believe it, try and get a hotel room in Bowling Green, KY or the surrounding area when they are at Beach Bend. Its attended by rodders from all over the country.
    Don't feel sorry for those whose who have been putting on these Lawn Chair events the last 25-30 years they've made their bags of money.

7. wicarnut

wicarnut

Times are changing for sure, Goodguys & NSRA are a business that is not going to lose money for our enjoyment at any location. They had the fore site and took the chance and $$$ in the begining, to build these organizations into what they are today, Big business , DO NOT believe anybody that tells you, they don't make any money, They make BIG money. My hats off to them, wish I would have such a great idea, my hind site is perfect though,fore site, not so much. For myself and people I know, we don't travel as much for big shows like in the past, reasons?, getting older? novelty of big shows wore off?, the money involved ? I have attended approx 20 big shows thru the years. now down to 1-2 a year. The economy has affected alot of motorsports/ Hobbies and millions of people don't have the same disposelable income as in past years. This is my 2 cents worth and all of us baby boomers should remember, We have enjoyed the best of times in our country's history. John

8. 42merc

42merc

I attended GG Indy in 2012, not much of a show.
    Took it off 2013's list of shows that I attend.
    The highlite of the Indy show that I did attend was "Bubba's Spam-orama", but I can't justify the price of admission to GG's nothing show just for a Spamich.

9. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

The GoodGuys Indy show has been going down hill since it left the drag strip here. If they could get back there, I think we would see attendance improving. But we have continued to go, and had a great time Saturday there. But moving the show to the fairgrounds, (in the hood) and opening up to all year cars, is a deal killer for me.

10. Gman0046

Gman0046

wicarnut has it right. Too bad they thought of it first and have made a fortune off of it. What a novel idea, charge car owners a registration fee and then charge spectators to see car owners cars. Then charge parts vendors a fee, get a cut on food vendors sales, a cut on parking fees and recommended hotels as well. The reason they are in the hood in Massachusetts and Indianapolis is obvious, cheap rent.
    I believe the NSRA will survive as they are not a total hose job yet. The other outfit is done. Nobody enjoys traveling long distances to get ripped off.

11. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

Hold on, you mean we can still piss and moan about NSRA and Goodguys here?
    Well I'll just be damned.

12. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

I was going to go in my friends SUBARU that is built in In but i think we will save the money.I hope they loose thier --tt.

13. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Well there's always the evening open housings Thur, Friday, and Sat!

14. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Maybe KIRK will chime in here about the Changes.

15. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If he does listen close. I'm betting he puts a big pretty bow on the whole shabang. And why shouldn't he.....................he knows who signs his pay check and if he didn't he isn't earning his keep.

Frank

16. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Its the three year cycle happens a lot dont make enough cash move it. They keep trying till the numbers add up trouble is these days big means Sunday late models just more cash please.

17. BAAD32

BAAD32

I say don't judge a man till you walk a mile in their shoes. Lets say 10,000 pre 48 hotrods show up and 2,000 late models, who are they going to cut off if there is a space problem? Get off your ass and bring a hotrod and support the show. We are doing this to ourselves. I had my car in the Deuce Doin's and heard a guy say, these are just the steetrods I don't want to see those! Well that's how I feel about the late models. Where the hell was Alloways, and Johnsons hotrod shop and the likes of those?? The trend is going late model because the streetrodders are letting it happen! Come on!!!!!!!!!!

18. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

The Demo should be fore non american cars. Why do we want to see american iron crushed.. one day those might be the next generations builders

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Go, good guy Meadors! I knew you 'when'. Nothing's changed. Still a mercenary.

20. richie rebel

richie rebel

i liked the show when it was at the strip

21. 47ragtop

47ragtop

I too went to IRP in the beginning. The drags and car show were great !!
    I also remember on Thursday or Friday nights when they had sprint cars or midgets at IRP at almost free admission along with the Goodguys show. What a total car fix --Car show-Drags-- and oval track racing plus lap around Indy 500 track,500 museum,vendors and swap meet. Sure it cost more than most shows but look at the bang for the buck. I can stay at home and watch Bubba and Leroy in a Demo derby for a lot less. And don't get me started about new Camaros and Challengers and Mustangs at an 'old' car show. Yes we have seen the best of old car events except for BOWLING GREEN !!

22. b-bob

b-bob

Isn't Mark, Gary's son running it now?

23. gg just keeps on taking away more from the show. reducing the bang for the buck. the drag racing was the best. and to follow it up the next weekend in bowling green attracted racers from all over. there used to be a full weekend of entertainment. they had a great swap meet and drag racing. the midway was huge. and there was racing at night. now what do you get. did they drop the price to get in and see nothing.this group has become a old mans group that are just empty shells of their former self. have fun power parking and riding you golf carts around. bring your nitro tabs because the exitement over looking at too many cry baby dolls and fake food on trays can be a little over whelming. pack a gun to you may need it in that area of town. and after day one you can go back the second and third day to power park and ride you golf cart around critiqueing ever one elses cars. sounds like a great weekend of fun. im done with good guys.

24. sota

sota

Yes he is.

25. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I enjoy the GG shows and am glad they put them on.. I can go, see many different cars and styles, swap for parts, see new part's vendors and cruise the hotels.. I hope they survive...

26. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Yes, I too remember the old days at IRP which Ithought was the best show in the world and best bang for my buck. I went to the brickyard last year and hated it, the way they kissed the rod tours ass from California was sickening, now they move to the Fairgrounds and bring in Jalopy races and late models and expect me to drive down from the great white north. I think not, when this years membership is over, I am out. :mad:

27. That show is dying a slow death. First raise the price to get in. Then eliminate the racing. With no racing they save money not having to rent a track and come up with a pay out. With out the racers and lack of race fans they have reduced income and have to find a cheap place any place to hold whats left of a show. Its funny as screwed up as the nhra can be they have no problem filling bowling green up. The nhra nows there is money to be made.Some thing has gone horrible wrong at the gg indy event. How about a comment from the gg staff on this.

28. BAAD32

BAAD32

I heard NHRA shoved Goodguys off their tracks because of conflict of interest. Don't know for sure, but would make sense why they're not at IRP anymore or other NHRA tracks.

29. Gman0046

Gman0046

It costs lots of money for liability insurance when there's drag racing. Lawn Chair events are a lot less dangerous. Besides there's tons of non NHRA strips to hold events at.

30. paintcan54

paintcan54

I joind GG back in the '90s, as I am a old drag racer from the '70s an 80s and liked the format they had. I stuck around when the moved from drag racing, but now I'm out I'm not into the auto cross thing or crash'm up thing, I'm out. Do I think they care if we all quit! NO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.