Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Gear Jam Drags, Rod n Custom Show, Swap Meet; Sept. 28

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brad54, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

The rescheduled Gear Jam vintage drags, traditional hot rod n custom show and swap meet is September 28 at the Atlanta Dragway in Commerce, Georgia, with a cruise-in/concert Friday night September 27 the historic downtown area.

Cruisin’ Commerce on Friday Night from 6-10pm, with cruising on the main street, VIP hot rod parking, food tents, a beer garden and live music by Hot Rod Walt and the Psycho Devilles!

Saturday’s event features Race classes for Gasser, Front Engine Dragster, Hot Rod and Muscle Car (1974 and older), with attention paid to the cars looking like they’re from the ‘60s, not modern “Pro” style builds.

Heads-up racing with qualifying in the morning, and then the hard cases run a Quick 8 Elimination for $1,000 per class purse money, while everyone else is paired with the car (in class) closest to your ET for a best 2-out-of-3 shootout eliminations—Everyone gets to race all day, nobody gets put on the trailer, nobody gets their doors blown off, and nobody watches staggered-start racing. It should be fun for everyone, whether you run 7 or 17 seconds!

At the end, we’ll take the class winners and the four fastest non-qualifiers from the field for a final Mr. Eliminator.

Tech cards are $50, and gets the driver, your pit kitty and little grease monkeys in.
    Gear Jam Car Show is for traditionally-styled 1966 and older cars, trucks and motorcycles. “Traditionally styled” meaning pastel or monochrome paint jobs and 20-inch Boyd wheels with rubber bands, or Pro-Street Camaros and the like will be in the parking lot.

Show Car entry is $35, and gets the driver, your chick and little grease monkeys in. (Immediate family.) This includes test-n-tune passes during the day.
    All other adults, race crew and spectators are $10 each. Kids 12-under free.

Show awards and sponsors are:
    Flat-out Bitchin! -- The Sock F'ers cc
    Best Paint-- The TW's cc
    Best Survivor -- The Cross Members cc
    Best Tradtional-- The Iron Lords cc
    Trick Truck-- W&H Restoration and Performance
    Best Use of Louvers-- Bright Star Hot Rods
    Best Engine—US Army
    Best Custom—RollFast Customs
    Quality Breakage—Bethlehem Steel & Iron
    Just Kicks Ass!—The Roadents cc
    Best Hot Rod on Cokers—Coker Tire

If your club or shop wants to sponsor a trophy, let me know.
    Classes still available are:

Best Race Car
    Best Wheelie
    Best Interior

Don’t see one you like? Then make one up and we’ll add it!

Swap Meet
    We’re anticipating between 175-250 vendors, based on the vendor count for our monthly NE Georgia Swap Meet, put on by us at the same location. We had over 230 vendors for our August swap meet.

Spaces are $25 for all the space you want, and that gets you and a helper in the gate.
    Manufacturer’s Midway: $100, for as much space as you need and passes for your crew.

Back-up Girl Contest sponsored by Rich Venza’s FaceBook Back-Up-Girls page. $100 Cash prize
    Burn-out contest sponsored by Hot Rod Deluxe Magazine. Prize to be announced.
    For more information, go to www.gearjamdrags.com, shoot me an email directly at [email protected], or call (706) 424-5035

2. scottmech

scottmech
    from GA

CAN'T WAIT!! WHOO HOOO!

Looking fwd to the cruise in too....as well as camping out at the track (or to clarify....a field by the track). That's usually where some of the best stories come from.....lol

3. Looking forward to an epic event!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

We had over 230 vendors at the swap meet last month, and all of them I talked with are excited about The Gear Jam. I'm hearing from people everywhere I go that they're comin' to race or for the car show, including several car clubs.
    I think our inaugural event is going to be huge!
    -Brad

5. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Just three weeks away!
    We had a HUGE swap meet this past weekend, and every where I've handed out fliers, people have told me they're planning to come to the race--racers, car show participants, and swap meet vendors.
    And don't forget Cruisin' Commerce on Friday night!
    Food, a beer garden and live music by Hot Rod Walt and the Psycho Devilles from 6-10pm!

-Brad

6. Looks like good times are getting close

7. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Getting closer by the day!

With the format I would have thought I would have been hearing more nose on the street. Someone needs to be promoting it at the Canton cruise this Sat. I wonder if a larger ad in Rag Tops & Running Boards might have been a good investment.

I've been telling everyone I run into about it. I would love to see this event become a success!

Fingers crossed for good weather!

8. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

Brad, if you aren't going to canton this saturday night I am (no dragster though :( ) so if you have an electronic version of your fliers or want to mail something let me know

Also, year one is this weekend as well

9. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Hey guys,
    I will DEFINITELY be in Canton on Saturday!!! And finally, my boy doesn't have to work this Saturday, so he'll be handing out fliers at YearOne while I'm in Canton.

It's been a hellish two weeks, trying to get things finalized.
    I'll be updating the website, updating website posts, etc. etc. tomorrow and Friday.
    Win, lose or draw, I already have plans on the books for next year's event. I'm in this one for the long haul, so I'm really looking forward to next weekend's show!

I've heard from a bunch of people, from all over Georgia and several other states, that they're coming--racers and rodders.

-Brad

10. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

It unfortunately looks like solid rain this weekend for canton/year one but the following weekend looks nice so far :D

Sunny, high of 80*F, 0% of rain :cool:

11. ronniemckinney

ronniemckinney
    from Alabama

Brad, my truck isn't far enough along to race or even show as a construction project so it looks like I'm driving over from AL as a spectator. What are the cooler policies at Commerce? I haven't been to a race there in 15+ years since I used to bracket race.

12. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Cooler policy:
    Show cars, racers and swap meet vendors can bring in coolers. No spectator coolers (track rules...)
    Absolutely NO glass, absolutely NO exceptions.

-Brad

13. 59 brook

59 brook

I think i'll try and bring some sunshine up from south fla and while i'm there may run the scenic six gap road trip

14. Ok found the right Gear Jam thread! Planning on Friday night and Saturday.

15. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

One Week!
    Check here for updates on details as they come in, shoot me an email with any questions at [email protected], or check my website which will be updated by Monday at www.gearjamdrags.com

Camping: The track management said camp fires are allowed now. I, however, ask that you put it in some kind of off-the-ground container... we don't need a bush fire!

Racers and swap meet vendors will be allowed to sleep overnight inside the fence; entry for them is 10pm to 12pm, OR, they can come in earlier if they want to pay to watch Friday Night Test and Tune. Track's rules.

If you're thinking about racing, but are concerned about the wheels requirement, we have relaxed the drag cars wheels requirement for this year. Wheels SHOULD be traditionally styled on drag cars, but we're not gonna send you home if you've got Super Tricks or modern wheels on your Nostalgia Super Stocker.

I'd also like to let everyone know Snake & Mongoo$e is playing at the Commerce cinema, and we may work something out for a showing on Friday night after Cruisin Commerce.
    Stay tuned.

-Brad

16. I'm a go for Sat and a maybe for Fri night! Two questions, 1) where is the cruise in starting and how "street legal" do we need to be for Friday ?? 2) if I were to want to stay in the parking lot and sleep for the evening, will I be run off the property at midnight when they are ready to lock the gates???

17. I guess that is 3questions but oh well!!!

18. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

First, racers and swap meet vendors are welcome to sleep inside the gate in the pits with their rigs.
    We also have camping in the spectator parking field outside the fence, so whatever you want to do, we'll accommodate you.

The cruise-in is in historic downtown Commerce. Just show up in the late-afternoon/early evening.
    Now, regarding the Street Legality of cruise-in participants:
    The police are being VERY encouraging with us, and want everyone to have a good time. There will be NO bumper height checking, window tint checking, turn signal and horn checking, no muffler checking, and if you have a license plate on your car they probably won't be checking the expiration date too closely.
    They are really working very well with us, and I've been told they hope this is the first of a good relationship. The City of Commerce is going into this with the idea of making it an annual event with The Gear Jam.
    That said, there will be ZERO tolerance for burn-outs, racing and solo 1/8 or 1/4 mile blasts down the street.
    If anyone gets froggy, the police will descend upon them like "Krispy Kreme" is lettered in neon on the side of the car and the "Hot" light is in the windshield.
    They are not anticipating any such "Donut Runs," nor am I.

19. Sweet!! hoping to make it Friday evening,,, um mm with no exaust, but trailered to a close location!!??!!??

20. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I have it on very good authority there are several large, accommodating parking lots fairly close to The Party.

-Brad

21. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

What's the schedule for Saturday? I didn't see it on the Gear Jam website.

We're bringing the Camaro - kinda Nostalgia Pro Stock style. The Nova and Chevy II both have cowl hoods and nitrous.

22. Brad, Can't wait for it and count on us to bring the trophy (BEST CUSTOM)!!!! Like waiting for Santa!!!

23. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Dave;
    I'm putting together the hourly schedule now, and it'll be posted up there tomorrow or Wednesday.
    Quickly, the gates open at 6, spectator and show-car gates at 8:30.
    Open time trials from 9-10am, racer's meeting on the starting line at 10.
    3 rounds of qualifying start at 10:30
    There will also be a round of show car test n tune in there.
    Please add "-ish" to all times mentioned after 10am!

-Brad

24. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Thanks Brad (and Stevie). We'll see y'all Saturday, or maybe Friday.

25. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

A shot of the Grump Lump.

Attached Files:

26. Thrashin away! Trying to get the digger up there with the tow rig.

[​IMG]

27. captmullette

captmullette

nice, cant make gear jam but hope to see ya'll at the $10.000

28. Firepower71

Firepower71
    from Atlanta

Dog Patch that panel has come along way, looks great!

29. Firepower71

Firepower71
    from Atlanta

Dog Patch the panel looks great! Looking forward to seeing it and you sock guys again.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013