Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Model AA truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by txturbo, Sep 22, 2013.

1. txturbo

txturbo

Found this today. Says its a 28 but I'm not enough of an expert to know. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1379889595.552179.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1379889611.921523.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  2. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

Does not look like any 28 Ford I ever saw. Can you show pics of engine and rear end? Is there any emblem on radiator shell?

3. txturbo

txturbo

It has a FORD emblem and the motor looks just like the one in my 30 A. Instrument cluster also looks like an A. He said its a 1.5 ton they used around the farm until the 70s but it's been in the barn since then. I didn't get a pic of the drivetrain though. He wants $3000 but I told him that was kinda high unless it would start and move under its own power and had a title.left him an offer on it and he said he will give it another week before he decides to take less. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1379890548.635886.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  4. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Looks 30-31...like this.

Attached Files:

• tr1.jpg
      tr1.jpg
      File size:
      518.2 KB
      Views:

5. Looks like a 30/31 Model A. HRP

6. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

I think you have identified it.

7. txturbo

txturbo

Thanks guys....now just have to wait and see what happens. Also stumbled onto a 50s caddy limo. Not sure if it is for sale or if they just bought it. Looks like a 54 to me.

8. I guess that would mean you need some room, I'll haul your 55 outa the way if you need me to.

9. txturbo

txturbo

LoL.....I still have a little room. Working on a deal to buy a 5000sq ft building. So ill need some more projects to decorate the new place with. :D

10. Good luck with both purchases! That much room would be sweet, think of all the tools and machinery you'll have to buy to fill it up.

11. cool looking projects ...

hope that the negotiating works out and you get to bring them home w/ you =)

12. txturbo

txturbo

I took tomorrow off....I think I'll go back and twist his arm a little more. He has some old farm equipment that looks pretty cool. One looks like it's a ancient generator of some kind.

13. txturbo

txturbo

I have a bunch of stuff I can't even use due to lack of floor space to set it up. This building would change all that.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380159481.373265.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380159513.551638.jpg
    If this deal happens we will have to do a HAMB Fest shop warming party. This place use to be a restaurant and ice house. Full kitchen and drink coolers included.

14. txturbo

txturbo

Still waiting to hear something. Truck is still sitting there, so he hasn't sold it yet. I took a closer look at it today.....found the steering wheel under the remains of the seat. But the end of the steering shaft is broken off. Never seen that before....is it common for the shaft to break?

15. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Not sure about your particular AA truck pictured here, but there was a time between 29 and 30 where some commercial vehicles ended up with left over fenders from the previous year.

There were a number of cross over models where the cab was the current year say 1930 and the fenders were left overs from the 1929 production and hence were used to run them out.

That is pretty much how the 1928 closed cab pickup was born with left over model T doors.

Henry did not waste too much of anything...

16. txturbo

txturbo

Brought it home today......the guy finally gave in and sold it to me for half of what he was asking for it.

17. Camera broke?:D HRP

18. txturbo

txturbo

They are still uploading

19. txturbo

txturbo

There are a couple pics in the first post

20. txturbo

txturbo

21. Congratulations on finally scoring the truck,what's the plan? HRP

22. Bart78

Bart78

Cab is the same as a pickup. Make a pickup out of it.

23. txturbo

txturbo

For now I just plan on getting it running and finding a couple tires for it. May just use it around the shop as is. Have a couple other projects to finish first.

24. txturbo

txturbo

Well....finally had a little more time last Friday to mess with this truck a little more. Cleaned the carb. Filed and gapped the points and threw a battery in it and it started! So over the weekend I replaced the belt and hoses and flushed out the gas tank. Need to fix a leaky sediment bowl gasket and rig up some more permanent type wiring so I can run it a little longer. I just had it hot wired and filled the carb bowl with gas. Smokes a lot but it does run.
    I also double checked the motor number and it is a 28 motor....guess that's why the guy thinks it's a 28 truck. So I guess I will have to wait until I pull the cab sometime in the future to find out for sure if it's a 30 or 31.

25. Yes, 30-31 cab, doors, dash, radiator shell, but 28-29 clamshell fenders. Not to worry. You got a good deal, knowing that it runs. Now you gotta figure out what you want behind the cab: Flatbed, stakebed, bob the frame and put on a pickup bed, build an express bed (you aren't gonna find one of these around for cheap).

If you really want to get crazy, look around for a nice one-ton dually donor with either a Dana 60 or the equivalent and some late-model 1-ton front discs. That frame can handle anything, boxed or not, so think big blocks and big blowers . . .

Whoops, got carried away there. Enjoy that banger and those mechanical brakes, and tool around at walking speed for awhile.

26. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

It's got a '32 passenger car front bumper

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. I loves me some old trucks
    Congrats!

28. txturbo

txturbo

Thanks! I will probably put a flatbed on it and use it for local errands.

29. jkeesey

jkeesey

It could be a late 29 truck. Do the gas and radiator caps thread on or have the more normal locking mech? I have worked on a late 29 truck and the entire truck looks to be newer 30-31 parts but the caps thread on like 28-9. If it was a 28 chassis it would have wire wheels not the later budd wheels that are on it.

30. 1929 Marmon

1929 Marmon

Just bought a 1928 AA Truck Stake Bed spoke wheels, worm gear with a under drive behind trans. Not enough research.

The guy bought truck from told me he drove it 50 miles hr, when I drove it was in a down town area so didn’t know it was so slow, I am afraid the poor little engine would explode at 25. Need to have done more research I guess.

Love the truck. Think I gotten my self in a mess.

This baby would let the kids do a fire drill with out a red light, they could walk around change drivers with out stopping the truck.

Looking for 5.17:1 worm gear ratio has 31 teeth on the worm gear and 6 teeth on the worm,

Next thought do they make a adapter for rear end to open drive shaft? Then could install A engine adpetr to Ford T5 Trans