Register now to get rid of these ads!

Goodguys Indy is Moving

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40Standard, Sep 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

After just 3 years at the Speedway 500 track, Goodguys Indy is moving next year to the Indianapolis State Fairgrounds. The date for next year's event is June 6-8, 2014. There will be a demolition derby Saturday night on the grounds. I still miss IRP and the drag racing there all weekend.

2. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Althought we loved it at the 500 track ( across the street from us) the Indiana Stae Fair grounds has had a ton of redo and many buildings to put stuff in etc. A demo derby sounds cool as well.
    The neighborhood surrounding the fairgrounds has become very dangerous as well, i guess everyone should travel in groups........

3. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

my guess...it's all about money.

I like the fairgrounds in Indy. Very historic place and great place for car events.

4. O/cs_rodder

O/cs_rodder
    from Cincinnati

it can only get so big at IMS. was very cool though

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

A demolition derby sounds Gay.

6. Wedgehead426

Wedgehead426

I miss IRP also. IMO its not a Goodguys meet without some Front Motor Top Fuel racing. I don't why they ever got away from that.

As for the Fairgrounds, I wouldn't worry too much. While I wouldn't hang out on a street corner at night in that area, we go to the Fairgrounds a lot for the Gun Shows, and never had a problem.

7. nor6304

nor6304
    from Indiana

The new format for Indy ( at the 2014 fairgrounds ) is open to all year cars for all 3 days Now refered to the All American Nationals I'm really disappointed that they are going that route The attendance was down at the track but I still in enjoyed the slower pace show

8. saucerhead

saucerhead

So you pull your new Nisson (made in America) right out of the dealership and you think to yourself, I think I'll take it to the Indy Goodguys show. Better yet I'll enter it in the Builders Choice, who knows it could even win. It will just like pulling you're hot rod in the middle of a mall parking lot. Times may be tough, but how low will Goodguys sink to make a buck?

9. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I would not leave anything I cared about in an eastside Indy motel parking lot day or night. If you stay in one you had better sleep in the hot rod!

10. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

Come on Goodguys, what the hell are you thinking.

11. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

Yup...:(

12. shotrod

shotrod

I have to agree I miss the the old irp indy.

13. paintcan54

paintcan54

Well, I guess they just had to show the boys at NSRA just how it's done, if your going to open it up just go all in. I'm done with it, I'll take my little money and fold it over and put it back in my pocket. Goodguys has hit rock bottom over the money.

14. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

X2, Started going to Indy the first event went every year until they left IRP,,Now for sure my Indy days are done...I do miss the nights at Union Jacks when we were there. Show your displeasure by simply not attending, they will hear you loud and clear that way.

15. brandon

brandon

take it out to bean blossom and get back to drag racing

16. 270283

I was able to make the trip to Raceway Park a few times and thought it was great with the drag racing. The staging lanes and pits filled with Gassers, Super Stocks, and front motored diggers was worth the trip alone. Throw in thousands of cars on the grounds and a ton of vendors...... well, I guess I got spoiled. I never made it to the 500 event, as the loss of the drag racing made it less worth the trip for me. Now that it is featuring a Demolition Derby, all I can think of is Fonzie "jumping the shark".

17. brandon

brandon

Maybe you'll get to see the malochy crunch

18. Wedgehead426

Wedgehead426

tommyd, you have a point. we go over there for the gun show a lot, but after the show, its blast down westbound I-74 and home. I never considered that some people would be staying in the area. You are right. If I was from out of town and staying overnight I would get a hotel in Brownsburg, and make the drive everyday. Then again, why make the trip at all? No drag racing, and who wants to look at a bunch of late model Mustangs, Camaros, and Challengers? I can see that stuff at my local dealership, and drive them too. Goodguys have lost it. I used to live in Vegas, and the March Meet at Famoso was the highlight of my year. I couldn't even sleep the night before. Then we moved back here, and I started going to the Indy event. It had a whole lot more trailer queen store bought rods, which all look pretty much the same. (fiberglass body, SBC crate motor, automatic trans etc..) But the still had some drag racing, and a decent swap meet. Over the years, the swap meets have become more and more like a cheap flea market, and no drag racing, so I quit going when they moved to the Speedway. But cheer up, look at the magazine racks, Rat Rods are hot and people are starting to get back to the roots. Goodguys may not survive, but I am willing to bet something better will take its place.

19. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

You can have a bluegrass show at Bill Monroe's place too.:D

20. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

I don't think I missed a event GG event at the dragstrip for about 20 years. I went to all three at the Indy 500 track. The drag strip was nice because of the racing and the 500 track was pretty cool just of the history of the place, but with what they charge and no racing or history, and a open event as in all years, Good luck with the change. I,m out

21. auto shop

auto shop
    from kentucky

Money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

22. Hot damn!!! Now that would be a weekend...Hot Rods..Drag racin'..and Bluegrass music !!!
    Sounds like a Dwight Yoakum song...

23. ohiohotrods

ohiohotrods

so will pinky tuscadero be there at the derby with the "FONZ" ?

24. wheelguy

wheelguy

I haven't taken a car since they left the drag strip.....Went to the first year at the Speedway on Saturday as a spectator and never went back!
    CAN'T WAIT FOR BOWLING GREEN, KY. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. 35chevymaster

35chevymaster
    from indiana

highest # I seen on a car 1404 keeps getting lower and lower ,
    around 1200 the last year Good-Guys was at bowling green
    I think Indy's time is running out

26. paintcan54

paintcan54

Talked to a GG Rep. last night nite, he said that the open show years in Indy is a "Test Bed' to see if it works here, then maybe some other shows will follow. Also thinking of maybe doing friday drag races back at Raceway Park. I bet that they will want more money to race too.

27. ohiohotrods

ohiohotrods

I like goodguys but now-a-days seems like they forget to think about what they stood for in the beginning? the participant??? highest entry fees of any shows- shit door prizes and damn few of em- lots of awards, 2,3, and every once in a while 4 to the same car(always deserving but spread em around? )-take up all the good parking spaces for their vendors that are so spread out to see em all- a chance to win a chance to win a chance on a car- and then the overpriced motels on top of it all(not their fault im sure but they could do something about it)and they wonder why their entrys are slipping??????

28. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

IRP - fun
    IMS - boring
    Indiana State Fair - joke

29. larry k

larry k

get a racin date at irp ???or you will dry up and blow away ! you got the ball "GARY" :confused:

30. chevy3755

chevy3755

i second that..........being gay.........the demo derby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.