Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 Chevy Pickup Pt. 2 "El Trucko"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TaylorCrawford, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Nice!!! 57's are great!

2. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

The wheels that im using for rollers right now on my truck are 3.5" backspacing with 205 75r14s on em. The axle is right around 62" to 63" in width, its a 9 inch i found on craigslist for cheap and narrowed. i had a 10 bolt in it that was the same width, but the ring and pinion lost a few teeth :D. I think some chevelles and all 70 to 81 camaro 10 bolts are right around 62" in width, good donors for the truck. The tires clear perfectly and its tuckin almost half the rim

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

3. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Mines a Chevy 12 bolt, and havnt been able to get under to measure the length. Maybe getting that axle narrowed is an option? I dont have the skills/tools to do it myself. About how much does it cost to do that?

Also, what kind of light switches are you guys running? I've ran a couple repop classic industries light switches and they keep going bad. Its a brand new harness, and its getting 12 volts to the switch, but the little contact breaker thingy keeps getting too hot and seperating.

4. 57 3100

57 3100

are you running a relay between the switch and headlights ? if not, this could be your problem.... i found out the hard way on my 57....

5. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Depends on the shop. The 9 inch i found was a 4x4 axle, so the pinion was offset due to the transfer case. It just happened to workout that if i took enough length out of the longer axle tube to center the diff, its the perfect width for these trucks and cheaper because i only needed one side shortened. Also it utilized a stock axle shaft length. I paid 75 bucks for the shortening and shaft. I have right around 300 in the entire rear with rebuilt brakes. I would figure around 125 ish or more to shorten the housing, plus whatever shafts cost. Its probably not worth the hassle or cost to narrow it in your case

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

6. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Im not. Should I be running one?

7. 57 3100

57 3100

i was told i needed to. never got to it before i sold my 57.... but my switch got so hot one night it burnt the switch and drove with only parking lights..
    although i did have newer headlights, maybe you dont if you have the originals ?

8. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

I have original headlights, but I'll look into that and give it a shot! Thanks for the info!

So as far as my tire clearence issues, I think the best thing to do would be to get my hands on a Camero or Nova rearend and run that, it sounds like those are narrower than the big 12-bolt Im running now. I still have to measure the 12-bolt and see how wide it really is. Any thoughts?

Its also going to my buddies fabrication shop to get the c-notch done in a week or so! Hopefully I get the ball rolling on this thing again.....

9. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Definately look into the camaro or similar model rear. Should work great for ya and pretty readily available

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Ya totally! Shouldnt be too hard to get my hands on one.

11. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Random pic my buddy took today before we take it to the shop to do the step notch...

[​IMG]

12. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Step notch is done! Big thanks to my buddy Brandon Silva at Dynamic Metalwerx, he did a killer job on it! Heres some pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

good deal bro! welds look good. cant wait to see some stance pics !!!!:D:D

14. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Thanks man! Can't take credit for those welds though haha. I'm no welder. I gotta get the funds to lower it now haha.

15. seatex

seatex

WOOOOHOOOOOO..................some sexy welding (if that's possible)!:rolleyes:

16. Buzznut

Buzznut

The notches turned out sweet....

17. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Hell ya it did! I'm pretty dang stoked on it!

18. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Whats the word buddy, Any more updates?

19. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

No, not really. Ive been so busy Ive barely had any time to work on it!

20. bajabro

bajabro

good looking truck. I was told on another forum you may have some front fenders you may want to get rid of.

21. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Thanks man! I'll shoot you a PM....

22. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

The rearend is out and ready for narrowing! Its kinda mocked up so I can see how low it'll be with the flip. I dig it! Its just temporary til I can save up some cash to put it on bags.

[​IMG]

23. 1959apache

1959apache

cool, are you going to leave it a tail dragger for a while or are you going to lower the front as well?

24. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Eventually I'm gonna get a dropped axel for the front. But ya for now it'll be a tail dragger.

25. 1959apache

1959apache

Cool, are you going to get it driving again soon? I miss California, I usually try to see if you posted anything so I can look at your surroundings

26. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Yes! I was driving it a lot before I took the rearend out. Hopefully I'll be rolling again by next weekend.

27. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Good deal man. Gonna be kickass!

28. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Thanks man! Finally getting some shit done haha!

29. devilleish

devilleish

I do the same thing. I love watching the truck evolve (faster than mine) and I love seeing pictures of somewhere close to home. Keep this up, the truck has been a great inspiration!

30. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Made a big step today and flipped the rear end on top of the leafs! Dropped it a good 4-5 inches! Everything went smoothly except for the shocks, so those will have to wait til next time. Drove home on just mono-leafs, and it was super bouncy and kinda sketchy, but I made it home so whatever. The bumper has to come off because it scrapes on my driveway, but I will but it on once its on bags. Big thanks to my buddies Vince and Eric for the help on it!

[​IMG]

I think we are just gonna make something like this that will fit between the step notch for the shocks.....

[​IMG]

http://thorbros.com/crossmembers/rear-shock-bar-kit