Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fuel Line Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by billsat, Sep 20, 2013.

1. billsat

billsat

Forgive me if this is a duplicate post - I keyed my question earlier and hit the button to upload it but haven't seen it since, so here it goes one more time. I am in the process of bending my fuel lines (3/8 steel) and attaching them to my frame rail with adel clamps. I can't quite get the lines bent as perfectly as I'd like in order to route them down the center line of the frame rail, so I put pressure on the lines as I drill for the clamps in order to keep them centered. If I were to remove the clamp the line would spring out of place to some degree, so there is some level of stress on the line itself. Am I creating a scenario here where that line will eventually crack due to the stress on it? If so, I guess I'll have to start all over. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

2. F&J

F&J

That is not an issue. IMO

It could be a problem on a fitting going into a carb, or other solid object, but not along a frame, attached with insulated clamps

3. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

I think everyone has done that billsat.

4. billsat

billsat

Thank you both.

5. Speed~On

Speed~On

First, thank you for running a steel fuel line. There are still people out there that think fastening a steel line to your frame is wrong....which it isn't. Those that use rubber fuel lines are asking for trouble.

As far as stress on your line. I would think as long as it's not being pulled too far from where it wants to sit naturally, then you'll be fine. Since it's attached to the frame, it will move in unisin with the frame; thus there shouldn't be a lot of shearing force.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

actually, I think a case could be made that having the line under a bit of 'tension' will tend to minimize vibration......and that is a good thing.....as it is the vibration that will lead to cracks, not static tension.

In any case, I agree with the other posters, from your description you have nothing to worry about, but congratulations for being conscientious about details.

7. bgaro

bgaro

no worries, run it.

8. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Those 3/8" steel lines are tough, but you can tweak them by hand as necessary when
    putting them in place. And like Hnstray said.........a bit of tension is a good thing.

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I use a spacer block as a reference when installing clamps for brakes or fuel lines. Makes it easier to just slide the block down the frame and hold the lines against the block to keep the spacing while fighting the drill.
    I also put rubber hose over lines anywhere that they might possibly get against a sharp surface. I put some 3m weatherstrip adhesive inside the split hose, and slip it over the line. Then a small wire tie to hold it in place. Might be a bit anal, but I've never had a line failure in over 40 years.