Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 55 Plymouth 230 flat 6 Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Our 55 is alive!!, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Our 55 is alive!!

Our 55 is alive!!

Hi everybody!! It's been awhile since I've been here. Did you miss me?:p Anyway, I want to put a T3/T4 turbo on my 55 belvedere 230 flat 6 using 2 1 barrel rochester carbs on a offy intake. Custom made header. Engine is stock. I'm going to remove the engine because the compression is low but, it runs good doesn't smoke or use oil. Auto trans. Only running 4-5 psi. More of a cool factor. And no I will not put a newer bigger engine in it. Any input about the possible pitfalls would be helpful. Thanks J&J

Attached Files:

2. 73RR

73RR

...just curious...have you actually looked at a 230 connecting rod? I don't think that I would try to put any boost on top of one...just sayin'.
    Have you discussed this with George Asche?

I'm sure that others will opine.

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I'm thinking that it would imitate a bottle rocket.....go like hell for a short time and then blow up.

4. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I like what you are doing, it sounds cool and I have long contemplated doing the same to one of my mopar flatties. At 4 or 5 psi, you should feel a good kick in the seat compared to stock but still be safe if you don't rev it too high or lug it too hard. You could do a blow thru - you would need to seal the carbs, and you might need a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator.
    Or you could do a draw thru. A cool set up that I have dremt about would be to make a finned aluminum box to sit on top of the dual carb intake. it would be about 4"wide x 4"tall x 18"long, and have a horizontal divider inside, splitting it into an upper an lower chamber. The lower chamber would have a pipe going to the outlet of the turbo, and blow right into the intake thru 2 carb sized holes in the bottom. the upper chamber would have a pipe going to the inlet of the turbo, and 2 carb mounts on top, lined up with the carb mounts on the intake so it would still look somewhat like a traditional 2 carb naturally aspirated set up.

Please let us know how it works out! Good luck, Joel

5. Our 55 is alive!!

Our 55 is alive!!

Thanks for the feedback. Keep em coming. Joel that sounds like a good plan for the bonnet. I'm not looking to race this thing, just for something different. I was wondering about where to reference the oil line for the bearings?

6. pigpin75

pigpin75

For the oil you can install a tee where your oil pressure sending unit is located. One end of the tee will have the oil sending unit the other end will be a 1/8" braded brake line for the turbo (also be sure to sure a oil restrictor before the turbo or you will blow the seals.

Also need to tap the oil pan for the oil to return from the tubro.

Pm me if you have questions. I also have some photo

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  7. daliant

daliant

That one made me chuckle!

8. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

There are guys runnin turbos on there flatheads around here, one guy has a Super charger. He doesn't have any issues. The 230 is a strong engine. It has low compression to start with.

Just don't boost the hell out of it. Make sure the head is true.

9. look into a chrysler six still speed parts out there.

10. Our 55 is alive!!

Our 55 is alive!!

Thanks pigpen. Pics would be good. What year is the truck in your avatar 57-58? Mustang if you can get some pics that would be helpful. Keep them coming.:D

11. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

12. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

I saw a Dodge pickup at the James Dean show a few years back, he had plumbed a turbo from a 2.3 Ford engine on his flathead six. he said it made the 218 feel like a 318... Wish I had a pictue for you.

13. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

I've been kicking this idea around in my head for some time as well. Definitely subscribed.

14. hkestes

hkestes