Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "Your car sounds angry."

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfeverfred, Sep 19, 2013.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Said the nice lady at the gas station, this morning. I had an off day and decided to ride around for a while. Like I do every day. After a while, I pull into a gas station for fuel and a soft drink. As I started pumping my gas, a lady who had been there when I pulled in, walked over.

She gave me a couple nice compliments and closed with, "Your car sure sounds angry." I didn't know how she meant it, but it made me smile either way. Later, as I was driving home, it made me wonder. Are hot rods still thought of as a menace by some people? I know there are people who'll never get it and they didn't come to mind. I'm talking about our neighbors and the folks in traffic watching us zip by and having all that fun. Are old folks and children REALLY scared?

I think my T Bucket has a nice throaty sound. The glass inserts in my lake headers have worn to just the right sound. So, does your hot rod sound angry? Is your goal really to scare old women and children?

[​IMG]

2. rustang

rustang

Everything I own, sounds angry... just the way I built them... my truck, cars, bikes and sleds I've built have all had a certain amount of modifications done to them... cams, longtubes, various muffs, etc.....

Well, all except my '01 Saturn work car... not too much to do with that one can be done, other than maybe painting it pink..... :)

I found many old women to be most attracted to my stuff.... go figure...

3. A friend of mine who has since passed always said.........My cars are going to be loud and bright. That way the only person I have to worry about running over is a blind and deaf man... :D Hot rods and Harleys always sound angry what most call a nice throaty tone

4. belair

belair

I would take it as a complement. Hot rods should sound a little pissed.

5. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Maybe she was just hitting on you ;)
    Jay

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The last one I took up with turned out to be crazy. I won't fall for that again.;)

7. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Good man ;)

8. I would take it as a compliment.:)

As for precipitations,,I don't think the old stigma persist today like it did back in the 50's,,like it or not organizations like the nhra and nsra promoted the old car hobby as a safe family oriented hobby and relations between the hot rodders and the police eased as street racing was curbed.HRP

9. SRMN8R

SRMN8R
    from Central VA
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Is it my goal to scare old women and children? No, it's an unintended benefit.

I had to change out the exhaust on my 55. With turndowns behind the glasspacks, I set off car alarms in every parking lot and downtown street. Ran the pipes straight out the back, and people give me the evil eye now. I guess it's louder to the ear, but doesn't cause the resonance to set off alarms.

10. jeepers00creepers

jeepers00creepers

"The last one turned out to be crazy...l" THEIR ALL CRAZY!!!!!

11. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

It has to sound good. In fact, I almost want to say that sound is more important than looks, but that may be stretching it a bit.

I'm disappointed when seeing a real bitchin car, that looks like it was done "right" ... and it sounds like a new Chevy pickup when it starts up. LAME.

I love a car that shakes, rattles and thumps at a light. The stares from other people are fun, but that feeling of being in a badass hot rod is gold.

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Interesting you brought that up because I'm the same way. A car that looks bad ass has got to sound bad ass. I'm not sure what the details are, but the newer muscle cars, Camaros, Mustangs and Challengers, sound like shit. It's a throaty, but not like "1968 throaty". I can tell one coming a mile away. They sound computerized. Like they're fake.

13. Sounds like a compliment to me also :)

I remember an article (I think it was in Hot Rod a few years ago) talking about a Hemi Powered street legal super stocker. The title of the article was "It Makes Children Cry" - apparently they took the car to the local burger joint & when they fired up the car to drive home it scarred some little kids.

Ya gotta love angry old cars!:D

14. I like the term "sounds angry" and alway take/give it as a complement.

On the other hand I was just telling a friend the other day how it seems not many people (except car guys) even care about Hot Rods. They're just "Old cars" to a lot of people. I was talking with my wife's daughter and her boyfriend (both early 20s) one time and they didn't much care what car they had, if at all, as long as it got them from point a to point b. Kinda sad I think in this nation that was once known for it's "car culture". Oh well, I still know a bunch of fanatics but you just don't see people look over to check out your car as much.

15. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Legalize Open Headers!!

16. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

How about a vid? We'll see how angry.

17. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I have this buddy and he is a complete redneck. Hes got this lifted 55 chevy first series that the front bumper is at like 4.5 feet off the ground. Hes a total maniac with no regard to his safety and built this bad ass 427 big block for it. He had 3 inch exhaust with some glass packs that came out under the running boards pointing to the side at about passenger car height. Now that thing sounded real angry. I could hear him coming a long way off. He took me for a ride in it ive never been stared at like that before people were scared, very scared. Some were pissed, but my buddy put it best "they cant even hear themselves texting".
    He got sick of it too.

18. dan31

dan31

Compliment!

19. prpmmp

prpmmp

Hey Fred!! I have seen pictures of your car!! If it sounds as good as it looks its a compliment for sure!! Pete

20. Fred, your car does sound angry...luckily you're a nice enough guy.

21. Damn, thats funny. I think the gal at the gas station liked your rod. Proberbly another crazy. Lol.

22. frankenfords

frankenfords
    from SoCal

Sounds like a compliment.

I'd be offended if someone said that one of my rides didn't sound angry.

23. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

My 56' Bel-Air sounds pretty angry with these 4" Thrush Turndowns!:D

Attached Files:

24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The goal? To be blunt, to have a Hard On. There's something to said about a healthy well tuned engine. It evokes stimulus thought's. A sound so pure, just like listening to a Women having a true orgasm. There's no denying the true sound of power versus a bunch of noise.

25. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Around these-here parts, they'd lock down the schools and haul you in for being some sort of terrorist. Unless it's a Honda, Subaru or the like with a fart-can on it.

26. I have been told that about my Forty with a built flatty and stacks...
    I love the comment, also the one that I am a "polluter" and "do those things really work? LOL! I get mixed comments from old timers often
    FIRST-because I am a very tall tattooed female climbing out of my hot rod
    SECOND-on the looks of it (POS with chopped top, tons o dents, huge booger welds and crappy ole rustoleum paint job)
    THIRD-cause it sounds pissed off
    But for the most most part, the old timers love me and the truck because they too once had a vehicle they did or wanted to kustomize at the time!
    I can't wait to get my lake pipes on my wagon and see what she is going to sound like cruizin around! I say BRAVO ole lady and Thank you very much!
    But my neighbors don't care for me so much when I come home late at night HAHA!

27. HEY NOW... we are not all bad! crazy yes! Just gotta find the right crazy one to deal with!

28. i like the expression... it sounds so much better than " your car sounds emotionally depressed and with drawn"

29. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

What a great compliment. Remember I went to a show many years ago and when I passed my car when I was making the rounds saw two legs sticking out underneath it. Here a girl was crawling around on all fours under that thing. Now that was a great compliment as well.

30. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

At Billetproof a couple years back, me and a buddy bombed across town to the liqueur store. After I parked, a guy came up to me and said "what do you feed that thing, small children?" Best. Compliment. Ever.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!