Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Kent Fuller's Quest

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 25, 2013.

1. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

World Finals meet offers an opportunity but historically the weather and salt conditions can be iffy in early Oct.

Ed

2. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Mike Cooks shoot out is this weekend on the salt so theres still time to run if its ready.
    Ronnieroadster

3. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Salt underwater this week. Maybe it will dry out. Maybe next year for the liner.

5. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

The driver posted on Landracing.com today that they are hoping to be able to run Oct 1-4.

Be nice the predicted high winds push the water well off the courses and dry the salt so World Finals and the rescheduled Shootout will be a go for everyone. Historic reality says Rich is right on - maybe or maybe next year....

Ed

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  6. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

well some of us don't use Facebook. A month ago on this thread people said they would post updates on what changes had to be made to the car chassis for tech and would update us on when they were going to run. Now we have people saying there are postings on Landracing.com and on Facebook, but nada on the HAMB. When you do crowd funding, you can't communicate enough, thought we made that clear a while back when both Ryan and weighed in on this hot rod forum, both of us being contributors to the effort in question. I suspect people are busy trying to meet Oct 1, but there is no one to make a post on here? Dan Warner?

7. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

I just back from spending a month last week in Wendover watching the salt attempt to dry.

I can get over to the shop again and try to make the point that they need to post photos. I mentioned before that the driver has been moved up in the cage(new bars built), and the mirror system has been ditched. They can now use standard belts and safety items with the driver relocation. The top of the car has had a taller cockpit cover made and the canopy is being built. Engine problems have delayed chassis development but, that appears to have a solution by going to dry block.

All car builds can be 95% completed in a short time, the last 5% is what takes time and $.

DW

8. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

Hi everybody!! We're set to go to Bonneville in October! Gregory Fuller (Kent's grandson) will be updating the website which will also automatically update here. Check out Greg's first post on the website . After today you will see the updates in both places!
    http://<wbr>kentfullerstreamliner.com/

from facebook

9. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Well, let's see. It is October 3 today. Last update on Kickstarter was 8/23. Last update on kentfullerstreamliner was September 9 and last one of any substance on HAMB was when I poked the skunk on 9/19. Still no details, no pictures, no substantative discourse on what the car now looks like and what the actual plans are for October. I refer back on this thread to Ryan's pithy post about making sure your donors are happy and informed. I understand one grandchild of Fuller's is in the film business. I would think that person would understand the need for communication. It is one thing when you are doing it yourself, you can tell the world to kiss off and ingnore them. Quite another thing when you pass the hat for tens of thousands of dollars. Some of us don't tweet, twitter or Facebook but we ponied up some dollars too. Inconvenient as it might be, an outreach to us ought to be made. It is not like the HAMB forum is inconsequental. Ryan stated he put up some serious bucks for the project. At my age you say whatever you feel is right, PC is for the young.

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Salt is still not ready to run on and Government shut down has effected permits for running on salt. World finials were cancelled. Cook Shootout may run later. I would guess it's a "Wait till next year" now.

11. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

just poking the skunk again. Nothing on the website whose link spiderdeville gave us on September 19 since early October. Fuller's operation got our money and all we want is a little info about what the car looks like now, hell they took it to the CA hot rod reunion and the SEMA show, couldn't take a few pics and update us here? And we have Richfox early October posting above that says "wait till next year" but no official word on Fuller's website or on here. Sure has soured me on crowd sourcing for race cars after this experience. They get the money and we get ????? And the promo items, spposedly being shippied in November, what about that deal given that the month ends Saturday and it is the Thanksgiving holiday. Just saying, from a crusty ol' curmdgeon.

12. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

Sorry, can't help. Sources dried up.

DW

13. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I cant figure out how they spent (or going to) the $38,000, doing all the work themselves. Thats why I asked awhile ago wether this "kickstart" deal was a escrow deal and the monies released after requirments were met to protect the investers

14. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

I really don't think there are a ton of Kickstarter sucess stories...If you want to do something there are probably better ways. A history or portfolio of successful projects is a good first step.

15. Like most racers, we do it out of our own pockets.

16. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Well it sure wasn't posted on the HAMB like Spiderdeville said it would. The Fuller website has many pics of car at the SEMA show and the West Coast Hot Rod Reunion but I didn't se them on the HAMB. And Ryan is a Platinum sponsor too. Major kick in the teeth I would say. They do list the Platinum guys on their website but not the rest of us rabble. Hey like the old saying goes, "you pays your money and takes your chances". Guess Crowdsourcing is like going to a carnival, not great chances of seeing any return on your money. Has anyone got their "consolation tee shirt"? I sure haven't. Once burned it twice warned Granny used to say. They got their $35,957 and we got no info like I thought we'd get, hard core flathead details (after all this is the HAMB). There are pretty pics on their website but no real info, more like press release stuff. I know I keep poking a skunk here but trying to get someone from that camp to stand up and say something. Wadda ya think, Ryan?

17. Rusty

Rusty

18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Wouldn't it be best to contact Steve Fuller<[email protected]> with your concerns. Might get some action from him. Not going to get much from the readers here.

19. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I dunno RichFox, yesterday I complained on the HAMB, today in my inbox I find a message to all contributers on status of things from Steve Fuller. Hmm, the POWER OF THE HAMB!

20. Care to share?:rolleyes:

21. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Sure Tman.
    From Update #6

Cockpit redesign

Due to the innovative nature of the car's design, there isn't a precedent for safety regulations for the type of prone driver's seat Kent originally envisioned. After much discussion and data submitted to SCTA during tech inspections last season, they ultimately required that we redesign the driver's cockpit for our first run, into a semi-prone position.

That redesign is near completion and AM Hot Rod Glass is currently installing the new window glass.

The streamliner will then be moved to a new shop to put in some more time testing the motor on the dyno, tuning and prepping for next season.

Next steps, upcoming events

We plan to run the streamliner at the dry lakes at El Mirage for the first race of the season, May 17-18.

We will also be showing the car at the Grand National Roadster Show in Pomona, January 24-26, and encourage anyone who can to come out to both events.

Rewards and estimated delivery dates

Thank you for your patience as we completed the art work and triple checked our numbers to make sure everyone gets the rewards they deserve.

T-shirts will be shipped out by the end of December. (There are just a couple more folks who haven't yet responded to our requests for mailing address and sizing info--please double check your messages from Kickstarter and reply if needed.) Posters will follow shortly thereafter.

and from email I got, following RichFox's suggestion, from Steve Fuller:

Hi this is Steven Fuller. Sorry about the hold up. As it turns out kickstarter is a nightmare to acquire information from. Hopefully you have received a request from Jenna(my daughter) for your size. We have been diligently trying to get rewards out by Christmas. If you haven't received anything by then, please feel free to contact me with all your information, name, size, address etc. as we are unable to obtain it otherwise. Thanks for your support and watch for us this coming race season starting May 17th. Steve Fuller

22. Thanks for that update.

23. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

We are in June now---- anything happening???

24. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

Here is the latest I have from the driver, crew chief, builder. The first engine was tuned on the dyno before El Mirage last month. It then broke and they missed the event. According to Andy there is a RUNNING engine installed and they will be at El Mirage on June 21/22. The car is on display at the L A Roadster show this weekend. Stop by and ask your questions directly to the crew.

25. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

Does any one know the status of this project? The link through Kickstarter talks about info coming, but I can't find anything.

26. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

so just wondering what is going on with this crowd funded lsr project? interested because I was one of those who threw in some bucks, like Ryan, because we respect Kent for his past accomplishments and his iconic contributions to hot rods. But today I went to the Facebook page, the crowdfunding site, and the Fuller webpage (which is empty and being redone). Not a word there about the status of the streamliner and if it will run this year or ever. There was a post on the HAMB about Bonneville and a poster alluded to Kent being annoyed at having to take the periscope off the streamliner and as a result he wasn't going to run in 2014. Guess from my perspective it would be nice to bring closure to this endeavor. IF the car is to become a museum piece, so be it. But a bunch of us are interested and would appreciate the info. I checked out "the fuller kid" HAMB member who states they are involved in the deal but that poster has only posted on the HAMB twice, and that was in 2013. So if RichFox or someone knows the ultimate end to this story, how about letting everyone know what is going on. I know I am poking a skunk here but at my age it's allowed.

27. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I don't know anything about this car or their plans. The only streamliner I have any clue about would be the Flashpoint A/BFS. I understand they are planning on running it at the July tune up meet, Speedweek and the Cook Shoot out. If any body out there wants to crowd source some money for that car, just send it to me and i will be sure to pass it along. Also i will post results for all three meets. really, I will.

Attached Files:

28. brady1929

brady1929

29. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

This picture is in the May El Mirage thread here on the HAMB[​IMG]