Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with pin stripping color.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat ASS Whitewalls, Sep 17, 2013.

1. My Buddy's coming over tomorrow night to lay some lines on my car. I told him I wanted green, but now I thinking white. Maybe white with some green? The car doesn't have any white on it. It does have green stripes as an outline between the orange and tan. I want the deck lid done, which is orange, the nose, which is tan, and the firewall which is orange too. Here's three pictures, one you can see the green that's already on it. Right now I'm leaning towards white, with maybe some green. What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. Maroon around the scallops, maybe?

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

He's an artist. I'd trust his choice.

As an artist (cartoonist), white would never get put on that car.

4. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

If you already have green between the orange and tan and am not sure if I would use another different color for the pinstripping.

I must admit I would not have used green in between the tan and orange but since you already have it maybe do the stripping using a dark green and a lighter shade of green with a touch of white.

Try and keep everything simple and straight forward so that you do not have to many different colors on the car or it starts to look crazy.

Another thing to keep in mind is pinstripping should accent the lines of the car and be done with taste and class.

You want people to admire the car and not be just looking at the pinstripping.

I have seen pinstrippers who go crazy with their designs using four or five different colors and trying to cover the entire hood or truck area and that's when people walk up and just steer at the pinstripping and they really are not even looking at the car.

Just my opinion. Jimbo

5. I like the color between the orange and tan. More of a teal, then green, looks good. I would stick with that, and use a ivory to highlite the designs a little. This will tie everything together without over do'n it.
    Have to go with jimbo17 as far as keep'n it simple. Bright colors and a big design would kill the style you got go'n.
    Nice ride, and best of luck to ya. Look forward to see'n it done. Make sure to post pics.

6. upspirate

upspirate

I'm with Fred.
    When I chose an artist, it's because of their previous work and style.

If you like what they've done and trust them enough to do their art, trust their judgement on color too.

I find if I let them "create" instead of directing them, I get a happier artist and a much better piece of artwork.

They can always lay a few colors down and if you absolutely hate it, they can wipe it off and try another choice quickly before it's dry.

7. 1oldracer

1oldracer

I agree with Jimbo, that pinstriping should be an accent to the car, not the main thing you see. Diffidently not light blue or white, Either put a maroon stripe over the green to cover it or a maroon stripe next to the green with a space between them. Then a maroon and tan, to match the tan color on the front and maybe if you leave the green, some small green highlites

8. I would do the tan with some (very little) of that teal color accents.

9. FenixSpeedShop

FenixSpeedShop

1oldracer is on to it ... fuchsia, maroon, plum, or taupe would work with those colors ... white would be too much contrast.

10. Now I'm really confused. I want something right above the grille, and above the license plate. And I guess something on the firewall. Not real crazy. I'll let my stripper do his thing.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  11. My thought was you wanted to repaint the pin stripe a different color. HRP

12. The green that's on it now is staying. It's been painted over 15 years the way it is, I've always wanted something else on it though. I feel the deck lid needs something, as well as the nose above the grille, And maybe the upper firewall. I'll see what he says tomorrow, we'll probably go green, and keep it simple.
    He's a young guy that's been struggling to make it. He's a damn good tattoo artist that was screwed over buy a local shop. He did his 300 hours of apprenticeship time, then they wouldn't sign off on it. Now he has to start over. I'm just trying to help him out. He's going to finish up the body work on a tailgate for me that I haven't finished, and stripe the Roadster. I'll post pictures tomorrow or the next day.
    Here's the hood on my truck that he did in August.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the replies, Dean

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  13. I like the 3 colors you have and I wouldn't add more colors. Knowing that you can wipe off something if you don't like it, give this a try. Do most of the striping in all 3 areas with the green, then add some orange highlights on the nose with tan highlights on the firewall and trunk lid. It will all be tied together and looked like you had a plan.

14. Thanks, that's what I'm thinking too.

15. Either green or tan-over-green it you're open to 2 colors!

16. scoTT la rock

scoTT la rock
    from NJ

as a pinstriper and artist i would say that since you already have 3 colors going on you should stay within those colors (orange tan and green).

also pure white should never be used- it's way too clean. if you must have something like white, then the color to go to is one-shot ivory (AKA dirty white wall). the ivory is much nicer on vintage rides

17. Well we went green, and I like it. I took some pictures with my cell phone. I couldn't put it outside, so the light isn't the greatest.
    Nose,
    [​IMG]

Decklid,
    [​IMG]

Firewall, the long line on the bottom is grease pencil, it'll wipe right off.
    [​IMG]

18. Once again JMHO! Of course it is difficult to tell from a cell picture in odd light, but I like the front, nice design and just enough "pop" to be noticed. I think the orange is eating up the green. Try a few licks of the tan around the outside of the design to catch your eye. Might be able to lay some slivers of masking tape down to get the effect without actually laying any paint.

19. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

Purple and green really look good together in a pin stripe

20. upspirate

upspirate

I like it...esp the nose.

Like your engine mods also....2.3 Ford??

21. dan31

dan31

Looks good , just enough and not overdone.