Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best deal on grinding discs ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don's Hot Rods, Jul 16, 2013.

1. McMaster-Carr is great, I order a lot of raw materials/hardware from them, but they can't beat Keen on abrasive prices.....

2. Are we talking about the Keen site? You can switch countries in the upper right-hand corner.

3. Yes, but they used to have fixed prices in US dollars. They're now giving 'canadian' prices on the US site and noting that your bank will do the exchange rate when the sale is processed....

4. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

I use the keen discs all the time,i use the 24 and 36 "roloc" style.2 inch size,very happy with them.may not last as long as a 3M one,but a whole lot cheaper.use them on a 90 degree die grinder,very slick to use for small areas.I first found them on Ebay,also use their 40-80 long board paper,a third of the price for the 3M stuff,again it is very good for the money,but you cant beat the price,call and get a catalog,they have a lot of different stuff too. Harvey

5. Sorry, looked right past that. I'm Canadian, I'm used to dealing with exchange, usually the other way around. McMaster Carr won't even ship to Canada or ship to my US mailing address.

6. Now I just looked at the Keen site again, minimum order for US customers is $19.99. Minimum order for Canadians... $298.98. WTF?

7. Canuck

Canuck

Was glad to see the good ratings for Keen as well as good prices.

Noticed there is a minimum order of $ 19.99 for our friends south of the border.

For Canadian's trying to support Canadian business the Minimum Order is $ 298.98 :eek:

Don't know if I want to place a test order for their product for that amount. :confused:

Canuck

8. I sent them an e-mail. I'll keep you posted.

9. Plootz

Plootz

I agree with Marty top notch stuff and real people to talk to. I use all of there abrasives including sandpaper. All made in EU. Promp service and they will send a catalog if you request.
    Bill

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We just find we have better control with the 5 inch disc vs the 7. As I mentioned, our Milwaukee 7 incher weighs a ton and after using it for a few minutes you are ready for a nap. :D The lighter 5 inch angle grinder gets into tighter spots too.

Just a personal preference, I guess.

Don

11. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

12. Canuck

Canuck

Big A, I sent them a e-mail also asking if this is correct.

If it is, might consider ordering from American side of the site and have it shipped to a mail drop in the states. Will be doing a Summit order anyhow.

Canuck

13. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

$300 minimum order sounds fishy. For the Americans on here, the exchange will generally work in their favor as long as our dollar is below par which is normal. There was a brief period last year when we were over par, but as long as our dollar is below .98 it should cover your bank charges on the exchange. I keep an eye on the Yahoo exchange site http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/currencies/converter/#from=CAD;to=USD;amt=1 when doing business across borders. Currently our dollar is around 96 cents so cross border shopping should work in the US favor.

14. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

any update on quality? will you be a repeat customer?

15. nexxussian

nexxussian

http://www.lehighvalleyabrasives.com/servlet/StoreFront

Good stuff, put in an order a few years ago, still using up the stuff.

Of course I don't go through as much as you do.

I have since bought a box of cutoff wheels locally, as the savings is more than offset by the extra shipping cost of a small order to Alaska.

16. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I got a real good deal on 500 6" disks once only to find out that they were used on a special machine and were changed often. You could not see the wear by looking at them. When looking closely at the hole, I could tell that they had been mounted.

The same went for some 3" cut off wheels that I got stuck with. Those I sent back and they didn't denied that they were used.

17. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i use benchmark on ebay flapper wheels last and they are inexpensive

18. AHotRod

AHotRod

19. Truckedup

Truckedup

I second Leigh Valley Abrasives. Good quality for money...and fast online order delivery.

20. toad611

toad611
    from Tennessee

3M Green or Norton Blue definitely the best. I would ask your local paint jobbers for their best price for buying quantity (what kind of quantity are you talking). I am a PBE jobber in NY and I know that selling abrasives is very competitive.

21. Udluz

Udluz
    from Tn

Northern tool has them for I good price, that's where I usually get mine.

22. RatPin

RatPin

Sore subject for me! I had a great little mom and pop tool store near me that I got alot of my stuff from including quality angle grinding disks for about $1.25 each. Well about a year ago F'n Harbor Freight decided to open up a store right across the street from this shop and within 6 months they were closing down.

Still pisses me off! :(

23. Even a expensive 7 in disc is the cheapest in the long run. I can whittle a disc down to the nub. I just cut the edges down in a octagon is what ever sided shape with a old pair of tin snips until the dam thing is only a 3 inch for the smaller grinder. Don't use a good pair of snips. You can destroy a good pair in a heartbeat. Carefull thou. Don't catch an edge or it will explode. Don't run those discs a hi speed, no need for that. You just want to scratch the surface and not remove all the metal. You have better control. Lasts a long time.

24. mickeyc

mickeyc

I also use a lot of grinding discs. I really like the "tiger paw" or similar disc for fine finishing metal.

25. Canuck

Canuck

Two e-mails sent to Keen regarding confirmation of their discriminatory shipping policy with Canadian customers. They did not even reply.

And they are a Canadian company.

"Was glad to see the good ratings for Keen as well as good prices.

Noticed there is a minimum order of $ 19.99 for our friends south of the border.

For Canadian's trying to support Canadian business the Minimum Order is $ 298.98

Don't know if I want to place a test order for their product for that amount.
    "

Would you want to do business with a company that has this type of customer service ?

Canuck

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  26. nexxussian

nexxussian

Do business with crappy customer service?

No.

I still think it's a typo.

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

A member PM'd me and asked me to come back to this thread and report how the grinding discs are that I got from Klingspor. I got them and since we have not been doing a lot of fabrication lately we haven't used a lot of them, but my Son Dan did use the less agressive ones on the Mustang he is building. I asked him how they were and he said "fine". I asked if they were as good as the Nortons or 3M's we had been buying and he said he really didn't notice any difference, they seemed to last very well.

I wish we had more to report, but it seems, from our limited test, that they are going to be good. I will try the more agressive one, maybe this weekend, and get back to you guys. I have to say the price was good and the service was too, I got them right away. The salesman also followed up and called me to see how we liked them and that the order came in ok.

So I have to say it all looks pretty good, and is a lot cheaper. I got a hundred discs and spent about $ 100.00, but 75 of them were the less expensive ones and 25 were over a buck a piece.

Don

Don

28. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I finally have some better feedback to give on the discs we bought. Dan got around to using one of the better ones that the salesman talked me into buying, and he said it was way better than the normal red backed ones. Dan said the red backed ones were at least as good as any of the ones we have been buying, but he said the green backed one lasted a lot longer and cut much faster. He is still on the first one and did quite a bit of clean up.

So, it looks like the salesman knew what he was talking about, and once we use up all the red ones I will probably only buy the green backed ones from here on in. They are only about a quarter more each but if they last that much longer they will save us money in the end.

Don

29. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

i'm late on seeing this but thanks for coming back and giving your review of them. i've had this thread in my favorites list for a while, waiting to see what you thought of them.

30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'll raise a stupid flag on this one in relation to bonded abrasive depressed center grinding discs.

If you look at the maximum safe speed rating labeled on the 7-9 " disc you will see that it is much lower(8600 rpm) than on a 5" disc. (12200 rpm)

The 7" discs can be safely used on the 7" grinder, but can NOT be safely used on a 5" grinder when they are worn down to 4-5" in diameter. The 5" grinder spins at over 10,000 rpm.