Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. goodwrench 1957

goodwrench 1957

That's the deal, if he can get it bought, present owner want to turn it into to a pro street, lets hope not.

2. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

I know everyone can read the calendar so pointing out that the York Junior Stock " Woodstock" is now only 10 months away may seem ridiculous. For some guys their car is close to finished, for others 10 months will be a hustle to be ready for....some guys will be there without a car to see old friends and competitors and just bench race. They'll have an easier time getting ready so whichever category you fit, the clock is ticking....

3. OldColt

OldColt

LOL! I remember that technique, and some Super Stock class guys did that too. Seemed like it was done for maybe a season or two until they got good converters. Did see quite a few redlight when the pushed the front tires out of the beam. I looked like they were trying to "hump" the track. I didn't relate much, I was a 4 speed racer.

--- Steve ---

4. 68 Bel Air 427

68 Bel Air 427

Hi Everyone I am looking for some help with Pictures and more info on this Yellow 1968 Chevrolet Bel Air L-72 427 425 HP , M-22, 4.88 12 Bolt That was ordered New as a Drag car. This Car was special Ordered new by Joe Kilby of Newark De thru Shallcross Chevrolet in Middletown De. The Car was campaigned as "Fool's Gold" as seen in the picture taken at Maple Grove in 1968 just after the car was lettered but not stickered yet. I lost touch with Joe when he moved to N. C. some years back. I am looking for any and all pictures , especially under the hood as we are starting its restoration back to as raced !!! The Car is still in Great condition with only 13,000 miles, the majority of those were street miles after it was retired in 1979. I drove it back then and chased it for 20 plus years to get it back. Al Lewis one of its drivers has been here to see it and it still retains the majority of its race componets and drivetrain. Any and all help is appreciated !!!!
    Thanks in advance. Jim
    [​IMG]

5. copo69

copo69
    from WV

Really neat car. Hope to hear more about it.

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I just bought a 1968 Bel Air 4 door sedan, a Plain Jane one, that I'm re-badging as a Biscayne. But I'm keeping the Bel Air interior. I know, it's OT for the HAMB, but since it's been brought up..........................if it's not OK the MODS can delete my post. A Bracket Car with Stock Class appearances. Always liked the looks of those cars since the Washington State Patrol used them in 68 with a 390 HP 427, TH400 trans, 12 bolt rear, rally wheels with cop car hub caps, all those cars came in white with a light blue interior. I'll be doing a SBC, TH350, 10 bolt 4.11 Positraction with Moser axles (have or bought that stuff already). Instead of STATE PATROL on the front doors, it'll say DRAG PATROL. I have the red rooftop light, a new spotlight, and a siren also. Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

Way cool!

8. Don Kirkland

Don Kirkland

IMG_5867.jpg

IMG_5866.jpg

IMG_5865.jpg

IMG_5864.jpg

Well guys, here it is. Looks like I have my work cut out for me. Will need all the encouragement I can get. Thanks to Al for the Dougs fenderwell headers. That was my first purchase. Thank goodness, wife is excited too. Hopes it will keep me out of her hair for the winter.

9. Don Kirkland

Don Kirkland

These are the upper control arms from the "Cart". They were reinforced with 3/16" plate welded to the top of them IMG_5872.jpg

IMG_5873.jpg

10. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

I would of liked to of purchased those headers, got pics but no price

11. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

That car appears to be remarkably complete and in reasonably good condition. Looks like a day or two with a bead blaster on the small parts and a trip to the sand blaster for the frame and you'll have made a real dent in the project. Don't forget to prime any blasted parts immediately to avoid surface rust. My brother lives in Park City and he reported that he had a very wet August followed by a relatively dry September so who knows what the weatherman has in store for you this winter. It will be cold, I'm sure.

Good luck with the project.

c

12. drag race

drag race
    from delaware

looks like an old 240 electric stewart warner laying on bench next to control arm. how would you grease upper ball joint with no access to grease fitting? :confused:

13. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Grease?!? To quote the poet, "We don't need no stinking grease!"

On the serious side, ball joints were shipped pre-packed with enough grease to run 10 or 20,000 street miles and, after all, it was a drag race car. How many times would that ball joint flex in five seasons of racing in comparison to daily driving in "normal" usage? You gave it a shot with your trusty grease gun when you put it in, ditched the zerk, and you were ready to go.

I apologize if my response seems off-the-wall. The statement was not meant to come off as any more of a smart-ass than my reputation can already justify but in those days we were all about getting the job done as expeditiously as possible with as little wasted motion as possible. We were on a continuous mission to find as many weak links as we could and resolve them as quickly and cheaply as possible in order to be back at the track the next weekend. A good percentage of the cars were built with the expectation that they would probably only see a couple of seasons of use before they were obsoleted by a wild record-setting session at a mine-shaft track like Fremont or Atco in March or enough funding could be located to move to something newer. Most racers were not as emotionally devoted to our cars in 1969 as are the readers of this thread in 2013. One of the first really thorough jobs of prepping a tri-five Chevy on the west coast was done by Joe Allread and, after the magazine articles appeared, a little more attention was given to cosmetics but, for the most part, function trumped form for guys who were working full-time jobs and raising families as well.

c

14. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

The ones I studied had the bracing steel follow the A-arm and the ball joint spacers had a hole in them to access the zerk

15. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

Kickin, Sorry for the miscue on the headers: don had already called them early on in a PM. Don, that thing looks cool. Obviously another " real deal" car. I KNEW they are hiding in plain sight out there!!! Hope to see you and this thing in 2014. My car has ball joint spacers in it. I wondered how I would grease them and was skeptical on drilling them for fittings so as Chuck has pointed out. When I get home I'm going to check the Arms in my car for cracks etc. I followed " the ( Car craft) book " and took out the serrations and spaced the a arm washers out, loaded Moroso springs in it only cause they existed by then and put 90/10's in it. Even with my massive carcass behind the wheel it goes right to full lift in a hurry. Chuck, I get a kick out of your smartassedness( new word) as I have the same affliction. It's great, ain't it???? Not everybody gets smart ass. I do, and it's funny. Kickin, sorry again on the miscue.

16. Don Kirkland

Don Kirkland

No offense taken Chuck. You are right did not worry about greasing them, that grease lasted longer than the vaseline used for wheel bearings. Yes, that is the original SW fuel pump. After seeing prices for new ones, I am hoping to rebuild (see photo). Also of interest is the photo of Forgedtrue with 4 ring groves. Had a local machine cut for the latest dykes setup. Engine was originally build by Lee Crupi. I purchased from Jerry Hallman. Cam box in photo contains what I assume is GK#7, as a G stamped on the end. Did not run as good as #5 but sounded like it should.

Attached Files:

17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

That's interesting about the 4 ring pistons; I thought the trick back then, as is now, was to go for as little ring drag as possible. Today, we have 2 ring setups in use. I have a similar set of 2 valve relief, 283 pistons, but they are a standard 3 ring style. They are destined to go in my 283 short block slowly coming together. I have a friend that deals in 55-57 Chevrolet cars AND parts. He has come across a few former Junior Stock Class cars, usually they are just hulks, and he ultimately has cut them up for parts (they are usually pretty stripped down and rusted out to start with). He only has so much room to store them, and needs to turn them or their parts over to make any profit. Makes me sick to see him do that just the same, but he has a huge parts inventory. Butch/56sedandelivery.

18. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

The new top ring groove would have been cut into the piston to accommodate the trick-ring set-up-of-the-week while the original top groove was left vacant. Dyke rings and "headland" rings both had their day in the sun and, for all but the most financially gifted among the brotherhood, buying a new set of Forged Trues for every innovation in ring theory would have been a heavy burden.

Reducing ring drag was a constant Holy Grail for racers but there was always one goal that trumped all others, ring seal. A "sealed up" motor was usually a couple of tenths faster than an identical one that didn't "seal" and the knack of achieving "seal" was a highly respected talent. I recall trying numerous combinations of rings and honing protocols over a period of several years.

Moly-faced rings have always worked well in one configuration or another and the ring width could be cut down from 5/64 to 1/16", .043" or even .031" to reduce drag. Moly-faced rings have usually been hit with the rap that allowing the coolant temperature get too high will kill the wall-tension and ruin the sealing properties. Also, a flooded carburetor on a fresh set of moly rings usually called for pulling everything down and starting over. That phenomenon was referred to as "washing out" the rings.

I could never get Dykes rings to seal as well when I ran them without a second ring. The extremely narrow contact point of contact seemed to be threatened by the presence of too much oil on the wall and that compromised the "seal." Even a back-cut second ring with very little wall tension helped.

Chrome-faced rings were a bitch to seal and sometimes required fifteen or twenty runs to get the job done and even that was occasionally not enough. I have seen people sprinkle Bon-Ami, an abrasive cleaning material similar to Comet Cleanser into their carburetors in an attempt to promote a happy interface between the ring and the cylinder wall. There were sometimes reports that Bon-Ami was an effective strategy but it never appealed to me.

"Back cut" second rings and low-tension oil rings have been popular over the years as the search for maximum sealing with minimum drag continues.

In modern Stockers and Super Stockers, it isn't unheard of for a set of the latest design rings to cost well over $1000.

As we've often said, the beat goes on!

c

19. biscaynes

biscaynes

that added 'new' upper ring groove would also help squeeze a little more compression out too.

20. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

This is the one that has been found and is in the Oct 2013 issue of Muscle Car Review and will be restored to way it is in this above pic.

21. Juniorstocker

Juniorstocker

ATTENTION IN THE PITS....ATTENTION IN THE PITS... This Email was sent out to all Juniorstockers and fans, please read:> Subject: The Junior Stock Woodstock-York Reunion 2014 > > Preparation are now underway for the first official gathering of the Junior Stock tribes. > Darwin Doll has given the green light for a Junior Stock gathering at his annual York US-30 Reunion in 2014. Yes, its a bit early as the show isn't held until next July but organizers felt an early heads up would give the guys who have cars in the work, time to "get 'er done" and those coming from out of town, time to make arrangements > Just to be clear car or no car, all racers and associates or those with a keen interest in Junior stocks are more then welcome to join in. You don't need a car to attend. > Darwin has promised a meeting area in the Expo Centre to the right of the main entrance. Initial plans call for a Saturday, 12 noon get together for an open "round table" of sorts to meet and greet and hash over the good old days of Stock. Anything and everything related to pre 1972 Stock is up for discussion; Race Results, Road trips, Tear Down, Favorite Tracks, Tricks, Build Tips, Where Are They Now, etc. There will be a moderator to keep things flowing as time is limited to a couple hours. > > People, Now's the time to do this. None of us are getting any younger and for some, health issues and economics make each year more and more difficult to attend the reunion. We are hoping to make this the Junior Stock gathering to end all Junior Stock gatherings. The one and only formal/informal get together. Hence, the Junior Stock Woodstock title. > Darwin has agreed to have the Junior Stockers up on stage at 2pm and a long distance award will be presented. Im told Miss Hurst Golden Shifter, Linda Vaughn herself will be involved. The icing on the cake is that Beaver Bob is on board as well and has promised a Junior Stock Eliminator program on Sunday. > Please spread the word people. This is a one time gathering and we're hoping for a large turn out. > Stay tuned for further details or contact Darwin Doll for more.

22. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

Butch, thanks for posting this announcement from Darwin. While a lot of guys from the "Junior Stock Book "have been contacted, word of mouth is going to help as well. As the note says, now IS the time to do this. Some of the stories from last July I am still enjoying.
    So here it is . If you know somebody who may want to come strictly for the enjoyment of seeing the old Stockers and old friends, please pass this along. If we could fill one of the two halls with Stockers that would pretty much complete my bucket list!!!! Thanks again for the post...

23. Some of those old Forgetrue Stocker pistons found their into my first SS 283 back in '72 .
    I had John Hoffman cut an .043 groove up high and then had Tony Feil plate hone the block with the proper finish.
    I did some kind of trick deal to the oil ring , and then put it together with 2 rings per piston...
    Ran pretty good in a 16 # class Bel Air 4 dr...12.89 first week out ,,on a 13.00 Nat'l record

24. Chuck, thanks for beating me to the punch on this one, it saved me alot of typing.

25. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Rick, being both a septuagenarian and a curmudgeon carries some levels of responsibility and it's gratifying to merely be of service to the sport in some small way. Just glad I didn't screw up the topic from your perspective. In my opinion, ring seal has been one of the most discussed and is still one of the least understood elements of Stock and Super Stock racing over the past thirty or so years. Never thought we'd get to the day when a set of rings cost more than a set of legal pistons but, here we are.

Highest regards,

c

26. Don Kirkland

Don Kirkland

And then, there was the school of thought of doing the off track break in out on the road. I remember doing one on Sunday morning on the interstate in the middle of Birmingham. Wonder what folks thought about a lettered up race car passing them at 100 mph in the city.

27. They mighta thought you were late for "SERVICES". Peace,,, moosie :D

28. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

In 1964 NHRA scheduled a Division 7 points meet at a small-town track in the hills northeast of San Diego, Ramona Raceway. My good friend and early Junior Stock standout, Dave Kempton, drove his '62 Plymouth nearly 100 miles, all the way from Arcadia to Ramona to "break it in." He won the race and probably set the C/SA record in the process.

c

29. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

Regarding the York 2014 Junior Stock Woodstock, the participant sheets are now on the York website to fill out . If you're not bringing a car , the only thing that'll matter is the dates. For those of you that are bringing cars you can sign up at anytime. Earlier is better because of the amount of cars that are going to hit this year. Some of the 60's Junior Stock Guys are starting to PM already that they will be there for this so as Darwin said, it's gonna happen.
    I know there are several regular photographers in the hall each year and I counted at least 3 in 2013. If you are one of them and reading this,will you guys be at Beaver Springs to shoot as well?? Can you holler if there will be coverage of this as usual..... Thanks

30. You should try to hook up with Super John DiBart from DRC Race Car Products. He lives there now & in the early days he drove our '66 Malibu wagon and loved it. This is after "Richie the Beard" & I talked him out of driving his own '68 BB Chevelle 4 Spd. He is a good guy, excellent photographer, driver & all around nice person. Hope you guys have a blast. Peace,, moosie :)