Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Los Boulevardos members or other 60's custom/lowrider fans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boones, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Calling out members of the Los boulevardos CC as they seem to have the look I like and will understand the look I am going after. (or I hope so).

Over the winter my 51 chevy is coming back apart for another transformation. I am going to lose the hotrod look (save that for another project). The body is coming off the frame for added crossmembers (converting to drop top) and full air ride. I will have a set of wide white walls with hubcaps

One of the major changes will be new tires and wheels, I love the later 60's/ early 70's custom/ lowrider look and decided I am going to purchase a set so I can change it up (wide whites for longer road trips and the wires for around town. I was originally going with Cragars or Supremes as I have seen a number of bitchin 49-54 chevys with them, but now I am heavily leaning towards the 14x7 vintage wires.

This is where I would like the input of those who are into this look and know the different styles. I have always loved the look of a large hub Tru Ray wire look with a 59 impala knockoff but when I look around, I see some other standard tru spokes that also look great. What I do not know is what is the correct look. straight or cross spokes..

here are the different looks I am considering.
    1. Tru-Ray cross spoke with 59 knockoff

[​IMG]

2. Tru Spoke

[​IMG]

3. Tru- Ray with straight spoke

[​IMG]

If there is another style I am missing that I should consider, lets see it. I love the look but I am not as knowledgeable as I would like to be on what is correct for the era.

Here is the overall look I am going for (mine is going burgandy/maroon in color) but want to be able to run wires also.

[​IMG]

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

your car has the best wheels/tires and stance I've seen on a 49-52 in a long time. sad to see you change it.:(

... with that said, I like the "Buick" style wires and pinners.

3. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me too... But i also dig it the was it is ...

4. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

my vote is #2, but I think it's because I want a set myself.

5. ryno

ryno

50 spoke true spokes.
    Call Dave at true, he's a good dude.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

tru spokes,give it that Bellflower look

7. 64sled

64sled

I vote for the Tru-spokes :D

8. mattrod68

mattrod68

9. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

appreciate the feedback.

10. gecko54

gecko54
    from Sumner, WA

Boones, when messing with the bellflower look you can choose a timeline as some of the wires came along later. Buick and Caddy wires for example would be earlier. All depends on what era/style your after.

11. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

For the era you mention, Ken, Tru Spokes would be the only appropriate choice, but even they didn't hit the market until '74. The larger hub and straight-laced spokes all say 80's build to me.

You already know this, but peruse Howard Gribble's pics again and perhaps you'll get some fresh inspiration...

12. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Tinman, thanks for the info. I have a photoshop version of it with cragars and skinny whites (it is a cheaper way to go) but I guess my love of lowriders keeps me leaning towards the wires..

13. I don't have a pic, but '54 Bel Air full wheel covers are what I ran. Consider them, too.

14. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Chili, that is what I plan to run those for my Wide White wall look. I have 2 NOS in the box and 2 others that are in great shape. I just want something wtih a dish and shiny (chrome) for an alternate look. I love the mid 60s to early 70's look.

15. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Are you wanting a "Bomb" or a "Lowrider"? Bombs don't usually go for the wires and crazy paint. They're into accessories that are period correct for the year of the car. You'd be surprised at what was available for cars back then. Lowriders are about chrome EVERYTHING, crazy interiors and crazy paint jobs.

I like a nicely done Lowrider, but LOVE Bombs. Bombs usually run the stock drive train and are more HAMB friendly. If that matters to you.

Check out, www.chevybombs.com

Either way, you'll have fun with the build. Another thing, Bombs and Lowriders ALWAYS look sharp. You won't see many running "patina", so dress your ride sharp.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  17. I am going to use cad style series 60 wires on my 60 olds with thin WW.

18. 1954fordkustom

1954fordkustom

Check these out astro slots with double pin. The first pic is of an original the 2nd is a set of 16s I made for a buddy's 29. They are the only ones ever made in a 16
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1379562484.387389.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1379562509.447291.jpg

19. 1954fordkustom

1954fordkustom

They may look funny on your Chevy though

20. Buick skylark wires with double pin whitewalls would cover all bases!

21. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Johnny, I like the buick wires but I believe the bolt pattern are wrong (I am small car chevy.... 5x4.3/4 spacing)

tfeverfred, I am kinda going for a cross between Bomb and lowrider. no crazy paint and not to many accy. low and clean like a Bomb with bumper overrides. At times I will run 54 chevy caps and others I will run the wires (will not have stock interior or motor.). might have some subtle body mods.

22. luckystiff

luckystiff

theres a set of Keystone Raiders local that are in good shape that it kills me I can't use. well I can't use half of the set as it 14x7 and 15x7. if they were all 15x7 i'd be all over them. putting together a matched set from spares that all look similar condition wise could be a pain. so i'm probably gonna just run cragars unless I run across something at Autofair in charlotte this weekend.....ken....