Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage garage sale at dean jeffries shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by showrod, Sep 12, 2013.

1. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Dean built your car? How about some details & pixs.

2. parkwood60

parkwood60

I went, I didn't get anything all that great, but I did get some stuff. You would not believe how cheap some of it was either. I will try to post some picture on here. A friend picked up a control panel from a "Logan's Run" car, and I got something I think may have been in "Damnation Alley" as well as some other odds and ends. I may go back tomorrow and get that speedometer with the tape on it that IDs it as from the Landmaster. There was also a shifter that looked like it was from a bus, that I would guess was also a Landmaster part. I also got some fiberglass things that look like spun aluminum (faux painted) rocket nose cones, but I haven't figured out what they were for yet. All the other tools were pretty much gone shortly after I got there, but I got a box wrench with knuckle saver taped to it, a hammer with a nail hose clamped to it because the shaft was cracking, and a pair of tin snips. I doubt they will make me a better metal worker, but now I have a story to tell.

Incredibly enough I only spent $50.

Anyone know how much they wanted for the Dune buggy body molds that were sitting outside? and did any one buy them?

I also saw a pair of old Firestone Indy tires (16"?) that may actually be race tires, not street tires. They were still there as of this afternoon.

Attached Files:

3. Church

Church
    from South Bay

I think they were open to offers on the Kyoto molds Parkwood60. Stuff was definitely priced to sell. The poster Norm Grabowski signed to Dean was rad. Don't know who got it, but I was one of at least 6 who asked. Missed a funky abstract bird painting signed by dean that sold for 40 bucks!!!! Got a cool old Jeffries show cars poster for $5.

4. parkwood60

parkwood60

Also picked up these, and a set of air lift bags that I'm not sure are going to fit anything, but the price was right. The writing in side indicates that 1 is the right and one the left side, and it is marked RPGA or something. I have to imagine its another movie prop.

Attached Files:

5. DrJ

DrJ

Those look like bullets to go on something like a '57 Corvette or car of that era to cover the headlight hole for racing.

If I had them I'd be popping a mold off of them right now.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  6. parkwood60

parkwood60

They are HUGE! Like 16" across the open end.

7. DrJ

DrJ

Oh, ok.
    The scale wasnt obvious in the pic I guess.
    Turbine engine centers then! :cool:

8. parkwood60

parkwood60

If I never discover what they were meant to be originally at least one of them may become the basis for a partially streamlined LSR motorcycle.

9. 51 mercules

51 mercules

carcraft2.jpg my merc.jpg Surfboards By Phil.jpg Interior.jpg dash.jpg
    Phil Sauer was the owner of the merc when it was in Car Craft July of 1957.He drove it when he attended Huntington Beach High.He said the custom body work was done by Dean Jeffries from january 1953 to December of 1954 and again in 1956 after an accident.He also told me he spent a day with Von Dutch when he striped the dash and striped the glovebox door with the tree of life.Unfortunatley the glovebox door disappeared.I wish I could find it.Phil also belonged to the Barris Kustoms of America club,Phil also had a custom surfboard rack for the merc.Later Phil owned and operated Inland Surf Shop (Surfboards to the stars)and supplied all the surboards for movies and telivision like Gidget,Ride the Wild Surf,the Mokees and many more.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2023
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks to those that went and shared what they bought/saw here. hope that someone goes tomorrow.

11. Dune buggy moulds. very interesting.
    What a life that guy lived.
    I keep thinking of the skinny kid with the Merc convert.

12. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Who knew ?? best kept secret

13. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Guys that went to the sale thanks for the info and pics! Cool stuff

14. OneRustedDodge

OneRustedDodge

Really wish the hoarders weren't going so damn crazy. Oh well...

I saw that painting sitting in the window for a couple hours but assumed it was just some repop print - guess I should have checked (!!!). Here's some of my scores from today:

Attached Files:

15. Went today, got there early. Cool to be there, and saw some interesting items. Bought mostly utility stuff, nothing great but it will always nice to know where these things came from.
    Obviously pre-picked. The signed Grabowski "street scene" poster was bitchen.

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

17. parkwood60

parkwood60

Any idea what those intakes were made to fit? I was trying to figure it out all morning. Not certain, but they look similar to the ones Dean fit to the Ford Quad Cam Indy motor he put in his GT40.

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

anyone buy anything today?

19. OneRustedDodge

OneRustedDodge

Parkwood60: The only thing I could make sense of with the huge ports was his GT-40. But I matched them up to a solex carb sitting in the garage, which only confused me more. I may start a thread to see if anyone can identify them.

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

21. Got pretty cleaned out in the first few hours Saturday. Only thing left was some household furniture items and a boatload of Rottweiler paintings and pictures.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. parkwood60

parkwood60

Yeah, I can't tell from any of the pictures, but I though this car had dual throat Webbers, or some similar carb on it.

Attached Files:

23. customcory

customcory

I saw some side draft Dellorto manifolds that looked like those. Maybe Weber sidedrafts.:D

24. v194

v194
    from The South

I liked the huge Gorilla!
    Although I found the whole event very sad. A mans whole life in items was on display. Each item was important to him because he saved each and every thing. Now that he is gone the collection of stuff is meaningless to everyone else except his friends and most ardent supporters. In my opinion each nut and bolt was part of the history of this hobby from one of its pioneers.

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

It is sad, and is a reality of life. No matter who you are, what you love can't be taken with you.

Once you are gone what you treasure becomes yard sale, auction or flea market fodder for whoever wants it.

Sad or not it is the cycle of life.

26. Keith Dean

Keith Dean
    from Hemet, Ca.

Couldn't make it Saturday. Friend told me, everything had been picked through. I went Sunday to see the shop one last time anyway. Got there and was surprised what people had missed. Working there for three years and knowing Dean keeped everything. I knew right where to look. Scored big-time.

27. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013